cusco10

I-864 US domicile

6 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Taiwan
Timeline

I am about to file my I-864 form but I am living overseas with my husband in Taiwan and have no evidence of a domicile in US. We are planning to rent an apartment upon arrival when my husband gets his visa and both can go back to the US. There is no way to prove that yet. I have no evidence that I am going back since I came straight to Taiwan after graduating high school so I didn’t have no bank accounts, no properties nothing since I was depending on my family. Since I moved to Taiwan I’ve never filed a tax return in the 3 years because my in-laws pay for all our expenses and I’ve never worked here. I did work 3 months in the US but didn’t make much and after quitting I came straight to Taiwan. I’ve never filled a tax return but my sister will be the joint sponsor and I know her income is the required. I would like to know what other evidence I could use for my situation since I have no nothing to prove for a domicile. Also I would like to know what I might need from my joint sponsor as evidence. Thank you

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Japan
Timeline

Is there any way you can travel to America and set anything up? If your sister lets you use her address you can get a bank account and a drivers licence.

Also, another piece of evidence I used was I had my family write a letter saying that they gave me permission to live with them when I arrived in America.

Are you going to be staying at your sisters place while you look for an apartment? If so, have her write a letter for you.

How much do you have in savings? While salary made in other countries doesn't count for AOS, savings still does. For most places in America, a savings around $60,000 should be enough to show that you can sponsor your partner.

Timeline

Is there any way you can travel to America and set anything up? If your sister lets you use her address you can get a bank account and a drivers licence.

Also, another piece of evidence I used was I had my family write a letter saying that they gave me permission to live with them when I arrived in America.

Are you going to be staying at your sisters place while you look for an apartment? If so, have her write a letter for you.

How much do you have in savings? While salary made in other countries doesn't count for AOS, savings still does. For most places in America, a savings around $60,000 should be enough to show that you can sponsor your partner.

thanks for the answer. I could use my sisters address and write a letter saying she gives me permission to stay with her. I might plan a trip soon and I could open a bank account. is there a certain amount of money i ned to have in the account? All the saves we have in Taiwan are under my husbands name here so I am not sure about that but since my sister is willing to sponsor i think that might not be a problem. Also do you know if I have to file a I-864 for me and then another one for my joint sponsor? Or just one for my joint sponsor since I have no income

Timeline

If you are opening a bank account just as proof of domicile, then no I don't think there is any specific amount that you need in the account. Every bank has different requirements. My current bank has a requirement of opening an account with $100, but after that any amount is okay as long as its not negative.

Both you and your sister should complete form I-864

Timeline

If you are opening a bank account just as proof of domicile, then no I don't think there is any specific amount that you need in the account. Every bank has different requirements. My current bank has a requirement of opening an account with $100, but after that any amount is okay as long as its not negative.

Both you and your sister should complete form I-864

For my sister I-864 do you know if i need 3 years of her tax return or just one year. Ive been told by people one but ive also read 3. I dont know if it makes a difference for us since the appointment is going to take place here in Taiwan and not in the US.

Timeline

If her salary for the past year was enough to support the 3 of you, she should be fine. The 3 year thing shows your over all salary. So for example, if you did not make enough money this year, but you did make more money the previous years, you can show three years as proof of being able to support everyone.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.