Bern`

Missed Oath Ceremony because they sent the letter late?

2 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hello everyone!

I am hoping that someone can shed some light on this.

I got a letter today, that was post marked on the 8th of September stating that I was to be at my oath ceremony on September 9th. Needless to say I missed the oath ceremony because I received this letter today on the 12th. I am FREAKING out. Will they close my case? Will they take responsibility for this blunder? I will be calling USCIS tomorrow but in the mean time, has anyone gone through this? What was your outcome? Even some words of encouragement would be greatly appreciated. I cannot afford to have them close my case...when they are the ones who dropped the ball. :(((

Married - February 25, 2009

Filed I-130 - March 3, 2009

Interview& Approval - March 26, 2010

POE'd - April 6, 2010

Filed I-751 - February 13, 2012

Approved - November 21, 2012

as1cERN0g410010MDAwMTQwOGx8MDA5Njk4c3xXZSBoYXZlIGJlZW4gbWFycmllZCBmb3I.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Hello everyone!

I am hoping that someone can shed some light on this.

I got a letter today, that was post marked on the 8th of September stating that I was to be at my oath ceremony on September 9th. Needless to say I missed the oath ceremony because I received this letter today on the 12th. I am FREAKING out. Will they close my case? Will they take responsibility for this blunder? I will be calling USCIS tomorrow but in the mean time, has anyone gone through this? What was your outcome? Even some words of encouragement would be greatly appreciated. I cannot afford to have them close my case...when they are the ones who dropped the ball. :(((

Happens regularly.

1- Make a copy of the letter (front and back) and send it by mail to the office address on the letter along with a written explanation of what happened. This is the formal procedure for when you miss or plan to miss a ceremony.

2a- Make an Infopass appointment as soon as possible. Go in person with the letter in hand and tell them what happened.

2b- If there isn't one in the next week or two, and if the office is very close; stop by anyway and explain to the guard what happened. Even without an appointment, they may let you in with your oath letter.

2c- If you can't do either 2a or 2b, then call, and insist on speaking to a Tier 2 officer. Explain that there was a uscis error.

For a review of each step of my N-400 naturalization process, from application to oath ceremony, please click here.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.