clairebear24

What happens to CR-2 upon entry to USA? Acquiring citizenship

5 posts in this topic

Hi everyone! I have a question regarding my son's visa. He has a Cr-2 visa and we were required to file the I-864W stating:

1.b. I am under 18 years of age, unmarried, immigrating as the child of a U.S. citizen, and will automatically become a U.S. citizen under the Child Citizenship Act of 2000 upon my admission to the United States.

So what forms do we need to fill out once we get there for me to file for their citizenship? And what documents should I bring?

I'm just preparing whatever requirements they'll need to avoid delays. Thank you everyone!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

hi

the certificate is optional, a lot of people just get the children their US passport as they are deriving your citizenship

but if you want, you can file the N600 for each of them

now why did he get a CR2 if he is a child under 21 of a USC, he should have gotten IR2, not a conditional card

Edited by aleful

hi

the certificate is optional, a lot of people just get the children their US passport as they are deriving your citizenship

but if you want, you can file the N600 for each of them

now why did he get a CR2 if he is a child under 21 of a USC, he should have gotten IR2, not a conditional card

I was actually thinking the same thing. They originally got the IR2 but the pre-screener changed it to CR2 during the interview because my marriage was less than 2 years accdg to her. Does their visa classification change anything?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

hi

yes, that's incorrect, unless it was your child from a previous marriage and was his stepchild and not a biological child

the petitions should have been separate, and as a minor child of a USC he should have been given the first category

now if he was a biological child of a USC, why was he petitioned in the first place, why wasn't he automatically a USC?

hi

yes, that's incorrect, unless it was your child from a previous marriage and was his stepchild and not a biological child

the petitions should have been separate, and as a minor child of a USC he should have been given the first category

now if he was a biological child of a USC, why was he petitioned in the first place, why wasn't he automatically a USC?

I wasn't able to meet the residency requirement that's why they didn't automatically become a USC. What should I do to have it corrected? Their visas are already with me. Would it matter if they're IR2 or CR2 when I'm applying for their US passport? Now I'm really confused on what to do.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.