Sam_111

N-400 application

3 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hi guys,

I have a question regarding the N-400 application. I found below in the N-400 application form.

"I have resided in the district or state in which I am applying for citizenship for the last three months. " which means I have to reside in the state where I apply for citizenship for the last 3 months?

I am outside USA right now. If I apply for N-400 on Jan 5, 2017(within 90 days prior to Mar 25, 2017), I have to reside in New York through Oct 5, 2016- Jan, 4 2017? Is that correct?

Also, I will have my GC for 3 years on Mar 25, 2017 (under 3 years rule), which means I can apply for N-400 within 90 days prior to Mar 25, 2017, is this correct?

Thank you in advance.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Tunisia
Timeline

If you are moving from another state to NY yes that is correct, you have to live there for 3 months before you can apply. If you live already in NY and you went to visit overseas than no, the 3 months residency requirement doesn't apply to you because you already reside within the district.

Regarding the early date filing you have to apply within 90 days (not 3 months) before the resident since. So if you have a resident since March 25 you have to apply 90 days before that.

Filed: Timeline

Thank you for your reply. I just got confused by this in the N-400 form.

"I have resided in the district or state in which I am applying for citizenship for the last three months."

I live in New York since I received my GC, its been almost 3 years. The confusion I have is if i APPLY FOR N-400 form on Jan 5,2017, do i have to live in New York through OCT 4, 2016- Jan 4, 2017. Does this apply to me or not? Because I am outside USA right now visiting family, won't be back until Nov, so i want to know when I can apply N-400.

Thank you!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.