catfrances

Naturalization and my British Citizenship

10 posts in this topic

Timeline

Hi all,

I know the US and UK will allow dual citizenship but as I was reading through the guide to become a USA citizen it shows that you have to renounce your "home" citizenship. Will I at any point have to hand over my UK passport? I have had a couple of people say they had to do this only to be handed it back again?

Once you become a US citizen and you are still British you are seen as a dual citizen right?

Sorry if these seem like stupid questions, I want to make sure I know the facts before I submit my application.

I am going to become a US citizen after having my permanent GC for nearly 8 years. I just recently had a baby and she has her US passport and I just applied for her British passport, so I would like to do the same so we can freely travel back and forth from the US and the UK for longer than 6 months or potentially live back in the UK for a few years without having to worry about not being able to return to the US if we choose to do so.

I just don't want to loose my UK citizenship or my US life that I have worked hard to build, let alone pay out for with all the visas etc.

Once you have a passport for both countries that is it right?, you are a citizen of both and can come and go as you like. If this is correct then I am assuming that I do not need to do anything for my daughter if she get's her UK passport and already has a US one. If I can get my US passport we should be good?

To add once I am a US citizen I would be able to marry my partner and father of our daughter without any issue? I would not change my name but would like the option to move back to the UK if needed with him, I understand that I would still have to sponsor him as I would be considered a UK citizen still.

Thank you for any help/advice on becoming a US citizen!

:)

Dates as follow, (not legal advise)....

Met my partner - Jan 22nd 05
Got engaged - May 6th 06

Sent I-129F to Nebreska - Feb 21st -07
NOA1 - Feb 28th -07
NOA2 - May 22nd -07

Applied for my police record - June 4th -07
Pack 3 arrived!!! - June 21st -07
Police record(37 days)! - July 11th -07
Posted pack 3 back via signed for, next day delivery - July 25th -07
Medical - August 2nd -07
Apparently pack 3 was today signed for after going into a PO Box! - Aug 3rd -07 (9 days late)

So far 21 weeks

Pack 4 turned up! Interview end of August! - August 9th 07

Interview - 31st Aug 07 -Approved!!
27 weeks and 3 days from start to interview

Hi all,

I know the US and UK will allow dual citizenship but as I was reading through the guide to become a USA citizen it shows that you have to renounce your "home" citizenship. Where did you read this? Could you link its exact location? Thanks. Will I at any point have to hand over my UK passport? I have had a couple of people say they had to do this only to be handed it back again?

Once you become a US citizen and you are still British you are seen as a dual citizen right?

Sorry if these seem like stupid questions, I want to make sure I know the facts before I submit my application.

I am going to become a US citizen after having my permanent GC for nearly 8 years. I just recently had a baby and she has her US passport and I just applied for her British passport, so I would like to do the same so we can freely travel back and forth from the US and the UK for longer than 6 months or potentially live back in the UK for a few years without having to worry about not being able to return to the US if we choose to do so.

I just don't want to loose my UK citizenship or my US life that I have worked hard to build, let alone pay out for with all the visas etc.

Once you have a passport for both countries that is it right?, you are a citizen of both and can come and go as you like. If this is correct then I am assuming that I do not need to do anything for my daughter if she get's her UK passport and already has a US one. If I can get my US passport we should be good?

To add once I am a US citizen I would be able to marry my partner and father of our daughter without any issue? I would not change my name but would like the option to move back to the UK if needed with him, I understand that I would still have to sponsor him as I would be considered a UK citizen still.

AOS

03/24/11 - Got married in the Boogie-Down Bronx, NYC!
04/21/11 - Mailed I-130,I-765, I-485, I-864 and I-693 - Day 00

04/23/11 - Application delivered - Day 02
04/28/11 - NOA (most forms) - Day 07
05/03/11 - Checks cashed - Day 12
05/31/11 - Biometrics completed in the Bronx, NYC - Day 40
06/24/11 - Received someone else's employment authorization card!!! What the...? - Day 64
07/01/11 - Mailed the poor lady's card back after calling USCIS - Day 71
07/07/11 - Received poor lady's interview notice! What??? - Day 77
07/15/11 - Received my own EAD card - Day 85
08/12/11 - Interview. Approved on the spot! - Day 113
08/18/11 - Received card in the mail - Day 119

ROC
05/28/13 - Mailed I-751 - Day 00

05/30/13 - Application delivered - Day 02

05/31/13 - NOA I-797 - Day 03
06/04/13 - Check cashed - Day 07

06/06/13 - NOA delivered to my home/Biometrics letter generated - Day 09

06/10/13 - Received Biometrics letter in the mail - Day 13

06/27/13 - Biometrics completed in Milwaukee, WI - Day 30

09/10/13 - Application approved! - Day 105

09/14/13 - 10 year Green Card received! - Day 109

Citizenship

05/10/16 - Mailed N-400 - Day 00

05/12/16 - Application delivered - Day 02

05/13/16 - Credit card payment accepted - Day 03

05/17/16 - Received text & email update - Day 07

05/20/16 - Received 1st NOA (dated 05/13/16) & created ELIS acct - Day 10

05/21/16 - Received 2nd NOA (dated 05/16/16) confirming my DOB and address - Day 11

05/22/06 - Biometrics scheduled (online update) and appt letter was mailed on 05/20/16 - Day 12

05/24/06 - Biometrics letter became viewable online (appt scheduled for 06/07/16) - Day 14

05/27/16 - Received Biometrics letter in mail - Day 17

05/31/16 - Was denied walk-in fingerprints with just 1 person left in line. Milwaukee office, boo! - Day 21

06/07/16 - Biometrics completed in Milwaukee, WI - Day 28

12/21/16 - Passed Citizenship test/Interview was successful! - Day 197

01/26/17 - I am a US citizen!!! - Day 233

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Hi all,

I know the US and UK will allow dual citizenship but as I was reading through the guide to become a USA citizen it shows that you have to renounce your "home" citizenship. Will I at any point have to hand over my UK passport? I have had a couple of people say they had to do this only to be handed it back again?

1- The US does not recognize dual citizenship; it simply has no laws on the subject one way or the other (with the exception of point 4 below)

2- At no point will you be required to renounce your current citizenship or will you have to surrender your passport. Any officer who asks you to do so is overstepping his authority, and you should decline and ask to speak with a supervisor.

3- You are required to give up allegiance (not citizenship) to all foreign countries.

4- You can lose your US citizenship if you acquire a new citizenship (or require an old one) with the intention of giving up US citizenship. This usually only comes up when someone acquires a new nationality in a country that requires him to sign a statement renouncing all former nationalities. Even in such cases, loss of US citizenship is rare unless you apply for renunciation at a US embassy.

So for the US and the UK, you'll be a dual citizen, but the US will only see you as a US citizen.

You can live in the US or abroad as a US citizen, but you'll have to file taxes wherever you live (your deduction for UK taxes will probably mean that you'll pay nothing or close to nothing in the US).

For a review of each step of my N-400 naturalization process, from application to oath ceremony, please click here.

Timeline

Perfect thank you JimmyHou

Got engaged - May 6th 06

NOA1 - Feb 28th -07
NOA2 - May 22nd -07

Medical - August 2nd -07
Apparently pack 3 was today signed for after going into a PO Box! - Aug 3rd -07 (9 days late)

So far 21 weeks

You will not lose your British Citizenship, unless you do the following:

File paperwork with the UK government revoking and renouncing your British Citizenship in front of officials. No one would do this except in very rare odd circumstances I'd imagine.

Do something to make the HRH really mad at you. Unlikely.

Do something to make the UKG really mad at you. I expect also unlikely.

The US cannot compel you to revoke your UK citizenship in any way.

The US could ask you to merely consider doing so if you wanted a super secret agent job with the USG that required no other allegiances.

The US will have you make a statement about allegiances. This may make some uncomfortable, but it is a formality, no one will force you to not be a citizen of your birth country. You renounce allegiances only, and not citizenship. The US views you with welcome arms as a USC in this manner.

Your child is automatically a dual citizen. Register the birth at the consulate and obtain both passports and child is fine.

You may use your UK passport to enter the UK. And your US passport to enter the US once you become a USC. You no longer have to worry about losing your status while abroad.

On the flip side the UK government also don't mind your dual citizenship unless they should decide to change the law, which I doubt.

Once you have lived abroad full time in another country from the UK for 15 years you can no longer vote. Otherwise, dual UK citizens can still vote abroad by postal if they choose and continue to maintain residency in both countries.

You must still file taxes even if living abroad.

Edited by yuna628

Our Journey Timeline  - Immigration and the Health Exchange Price of Love in the UK Thinking of Returning to UK?

First met: 12/31/04 - Engaged: 9/24/09
Filed I-129F: 10/4/14 - Packet received: 10/7/14
NOA 1 email + ARN assigned: 10/10/14 (hard copy 10/17/14)
Touched on website (fixed?): 12/9/14 - Poked USCIS: 4/1/15
NOA 2 email: 5/4/15 (hard copy 5/11/15)
Sent to NVC: 5/8/15 - NVC received + #'s assigned: 5/15/15 (estimated)
NVC sent: 5/19/15 - London received/ready: 5/26/15
Packet 3: 5/28/15 - Medical: 6/16/15
Poked London 7/1/15 - Packet 4: 7/2/15
Interview: 7/30/15 - Approved!
AP + Issued 8/3/15 - Visa in hand (depot): 8/6/15
POE: 8/27/15

Wedding: 9/30/15

Filed I-485, I-131, I-765: 11/7/15

Packet received: 11/9/15

NOA 1 txt/email: 11/15/15 - NOA 1 hardcopy: 11/19/15

Bio: 12/9/15

EAD + AP approved: 1/25/16 - EAD received: 2/1/16

RFE for USCIS inability to read vax instructions: 5/21/16 (no e-notification & not sent from local office!)

RFE response sent: 6/7/16 - RFE response received 6/9/16

AOS approved/card in production: 6/13/16  

NOA 2 hardcopy + card sent 6/17/16

Green Card received: 6/18/16

USCIS 120 day reminder notice: 2/22/18

Filed I-751: 5/2/18 - Packet received: 5/4/18

NOA 1:  5/29/18 (12 mo ext) 8/13/18 (18 mo ext)  - Bio: 6/27/18

Transferred: Potomac Service Center 3/26/19

Approved/New Card Produced status: 4/25/19 - NOA2 hardcopy 4/29/19

10yr Green Card Received: 5/2/19 with error >_<

N400 : 7/16/23 - Oath : 10/19/23

I recently explained some of what you are asking in this post. You should read it http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/608019-aos-pr-health-insurance/?p=8286116

Also I can tell you my husband has naturalized and at no point in the interview or oath ceremony was he asked to turn over his British passport. It was never discussed. He holds and uses an American and British passport.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Timeline

Thank you for this!

Just to clarify, when you say register her birth with the consulate, what exactly does this mean? I have a US passport for her and US birth certificate so I guess that is done and I just sent off the paper work to get her UK passport but have not registered her anywhere in the UK...

You will not lose your British Citizenship, unless you do the following:

File paperwork with the UK government revoking and renouncing your British Citizenship in front of officials. No one would do this except in very rare odd circumstances I'd imagine.

Do something to make the HRH really mad at you. Unlikely.

Do something to make the UKG really mad at you. I expect also unlikely.

The US cannot compel you to revoke your UK citizenship in any way.

The US could ask you to merely consider doing so if you wanted a super secret agent job with the USG that required no other allegiances.

The US will have you make a statement about allegiances. This may make some uncomfortable, but it is a formality, no one will force you to not be a citizen of your birth country. You renounce allegiances only, and not citizenship. The US views you with welcome arms as a USC in this manner.

Your child is automatically a dual citizen. Register the birth at the consulate and obtain both passports and child is fine.

You may use your UK passport to enter the UK. And your US passport to enter the US once you become a USC. You no longer have to worry about losing your status while abroad.

On the flip side the UK government also don't mind your dual citizenship unless they should decide to change the law, which I doubt.

Once you have lived abroad full time in another country from the UK for 15 years you can no longer vote. Otherwise, dual UK citizens can still vote abroad by postal if they choose and continue to maintain residency in both countries.

You must still file taxes even if living abroad.

Got engaged - May 6th 06

NOA1 - Feb 28th -07
NOA2 - May 22nd -07

Medical - August 2nd -07

So far 21 weeks

Thank you for this!

Just to clarify, when you say register her birth with the consulate, what exactly does this mean? I have a US passport for her and US birth certificate so I guess that is done and I just sent off the paper work to get her UK passport but have not registered her anywhere in the UK...

Check out this and weigh if the advantages of registering it with the UK is appropriate for you. Personally, that's the course of action I would do for any children I would have. http://britishexpats.com/wiki/British_Consular_Birth_Registration

Our Journey Timeline  - Immigration and the Health Exchange Price of Love in the UK Thinking of Returning to UK?

First met: 12/31/04 - Engaged: 9/24/09
Filed I-129F: 10/4/14 - Packet received: 10/7/14
NOA 1 email + ARN assigned: 10/10/14 (hard copy 10/17/14)
Touched on website (fixed?): 12/9/14 - Poked USCIS: 4/1/15
NOA 2 email: 5/4/15 (hard copy 5/11/15)
Sent to NVC: 5/8/15 - NVC received + #'s assigned: 5/15/15 (estimated)
NVC sent: 5/19/15 - London received/ready: 5/26/15
Packet 3: 5/28/15 - Medical: 6/16/15
Poked London 7/1/15 - Packet 4: 7/2/15
Interview: 7/30/15 - Approved!
AP + Issued 8/3/15 - Visa in hand (depot): 8/6/15
POE: 8/27/15

Wedding: 9/30/15

Filed I-485, I-131, I-765: 11/7/15

Packet received: 11/9/15

NOA 1 txt/email: 11/15/15 - NOA 1 hardcopy: 11/19/15

Bio: 12/9/15

EAD + AP approved: 1/25/16 - EAD received: 2/1/16

RFE for USCIS inability to read vax instructions: 5/21/16 (no e-notification & not sent from local office!)

RFE response sent: 6/7/16 - RFE response received 6/9/16

AOS approved/card in production: 6/13/16  

NOA 2 hardcopy + card sent 6/17/16

Green Card received: 6/18/16

USCIS 120 day reminder notice: 2/22/18

Filed I-751: 5/2/18 - Packet received: 5/4/18

NOA 1:  5/29/18 (12 mo ext) 8/13/18 (18 mo ext)  - Bio: 6/27/18

Transferred: Potomac Service Center 3/26/19

Approved/New Card Produced status: 4/25/19 - NOA2 hardcopy 4/29/19

10yr Green Card Received: 5/2/19 with error >_<

N400 : 7/16/23 - Oath : 10/19/23

Registering the birth abroad is a waste of time and money. I looked into doing that before realizing that you can just go ahead and apply for a UK passport for the child, as you have done.

• 3 weeks later...
Timeline

Registering the birth abroad is a waste of time and money. I looked into doing that before realizing that you can just go ahead and apply for a UK passport for the child, as you have done.

Agreed.

I even called someone at the registering dept and asked what the purpose was and why it is ever done. It is just to have a record in pen somewhere and the book get's closed (so to speak), she said getting a passport is more than enough.

I got her UK passport the other day that shows she is British - Job done :)

Got engaged - May 6th 06

NOA1 - Feb 28th -07
NOA2 - May 22nd -07

Medical - August 2nd -07

So far 21 weeks

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.