simsim2

Review of MTL consulate

6 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I know this is long but I tried to be as informative as possible. Our interview was this Friday (August 26th, 2016).

Interview was at 10:30, we got in the consulate at 10am and got out at 12pm.
Very easy process.
I knew the embassy pretty well because I came here twice in the past for a J-1 and an H-3 visa. We entered the consulate at 10am instead of 10:30am and were given a laminate piece of paper that had a number and a list of documents to organize in order and provide. Security was actually nice and they let us in with our big massive folder and a McGill paper bag. They took our cellphones, lighter and cigarettes and gave us a number to come get them at the end.
We sat in the immigrant visa section (the consulate was really packed), got called to a first window to drop off our documents after one hour of wait. Very nice lady, took all our docs (even some that were NOT on the list, so if you want a piece of advice, bring ANYTHING that you can think of and not just what is stated on Packet IV). She ended up taking:
- the laminated piece of paper
- Medical exam (not the X ray cd since i didn't test positive for TB)
- Birth certificate (only the original + original of translation)
- Original of my French police record + original of my Canadian police record
- Original of our mariage certificate
- I-864 from my husband + proof of status (US passport + birth certificate original) + proof of domicile (NY driver's licence, rent bill, pay stub) + all financial evidence
- I-864 from my joint sponsor (which we ended up not needing because my USC husband is making enough money this year - we wanted to play it safe as he just graduated college and did not have to file taxes in the previous years) + proof of US status + Proof of domicile + 3 past tax returns + 6 month worth of pay stubs
- 2 photos
- Original of my student visa for Canada
So as you can see, not all this was stated in Packet IV but she gladly took it (although they had all this because i had sent it through EP but I guess they wanted to see it again). She indicated that I would get back the originals of my and my husband's birth certificates back, along with my student visa and mariage certificate. They did keep both my police records.
She verified my Canadian and my US address, my phone number and my PETITIONER's phone number (thank god I know it by heart).
An hour later I got called to window #8 and got interview by a very nice young man. I told him that my husband was here and asked him if he wanted him to come, to which he answered with a serious-not-so-serious tone "no you must face me alone". He explained to me how the interview was going to work, so:
1- oath that I will only say the truth
2- a few questions
3- verify that my documents are all good
He then looked at my DS-260 and asked me if I met my husband in college (I go to a pretty American university in Canada) or when I was in the US under my previous status and when I was graduating college. And that was it about the questions about my relationship (probably because i gave him a pretty thorough answer about our lives).
He then asked me if I lived anywhere else than my country of citizenship and Canada and if I ever had any problem at the US border.
He then proceeded to look at my documents and check a few things off on his computer. That was long-ish, longer than the interview at least. He even said "Sorry checking off documents is longer than talking to you". He was just inputing on his computer that he verified the originals of the documents i had submitted through EDP.
He then told me I was approved and that my visa was going to come in the mail. I asked him if there was any way I could come to get my passport earlier to go back to the US with my husband and told me he was going to try and told me to come back on Monday (my interview was Friday) to see if they got clearance from the US to print my visa on the spot (he gave me an orange piece of paper to show the security guards downstairs when I come back on Monday 3pm).
He actually told me that the US sends clearance to the embassy to print the visa usually within 72 hours of the interview (but closer to the 72hrs) which I actually had no idea about (at least I learned something new).
We are Sunday as I am writing this and my status on CEAC still shows Ready so I hope I can go pick up my visa tomorrow but I dont think it will be possible - Fingers crossed!
Overall great experience, but I was happy to have my husband here because I think that without him I wouldn't have been so calm. So a piece of advice: bring your USC spouse with you (especially that the wait is long so at least you're kept entertained)!!!
If you guys have any questions about the medical, the interview or anything, please do not hesitate to contact me. This forum has been of great help for us to get through hard times and to get advice, so if I can give back a little, I will happily. :)

I'm unsure, how the items you said weren't needed?

Congrats on your approval anyhow! :D

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline

I'm unsure, how the items you said weren't needed?

Congrats on your approval anyhow! :D

Some of the supporting documentation (for the AOS) that i submitted during the interview was not on the checklist

hello simsim2,

Where you able to get your IV stamp & passport the following business day?

Thank you for your response.

Yes I was :D

Timeline

Thank you so much for your review! I'm just a few days away from my interview! Got my medical on Tuesday and waiting to pick up the results tomorrow, then interview is on Monday!

Did you drive there? I am trying to locate the best area for parking.

USCIS Process:

Sent I-130 (via Canada Post): Feb 29, 2016

NOA1 hardcopy received: March 16, 2016

NOA2 approval text & email: June 9, 2016

-------------------------------------------------------

NVC Process:

Case number and IIN Assigned: July 5, 2016

Choice of Agent (DS-261) completed: July 6, 2016

IV application (DS-260) completed: July 12, 2016

Sent AOS & IV packets (Electronic Processing): July 14, 2016

CC: July 20, 2016

Medical: September 13, 2016

Interview: September 19, 2016 APPROVED!

POE: October 31, 2016

-------------------------------------------------------

ROC Process:

Submitted I-751 (USPS Overnight): August 2, 2018

Approved: August 21st, 2019

There's a parking lot right beside the consulate. I'm unsure if it's public though, it may belong to the Le Square Phillips. However you may want to inquire if you can pay for parking?

Otherwise 3528 Avenue Calixa Lavalee, Montreal, Québec H2L 2T6, Canada is the closest public parking lot.

Edited by NikLR

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.