Jump to content
Riverbend41

Sputum test, then a two month wait.

7 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

We are through all the hard stuff. She had her interview scheduled for September 8th, 2016. We were thrilled. She went for her medical. St. Luke's in Manila (I am the K-1 petitioner to marry a filipina) All has been submitted as required. Have her Case number, everything ready. Everything, checked and double checked. Then the floor fell out from under her. I felt so bad for her: In 1994, she first went to work in Saudi. Had chest x-ray in Ph, and of course over there. She has been back and forth on contract for many years, to support her family. She has a tiny "scar" the size of a pin head, on one lung. It has been there, and approved (passed) her medical every time. The size, shape, etc., has never changed to this date.

When she passed all of her St. Luke's exam..they called her in and told her, with the tiny scar, you must do the sputum test. Then you must wait two months. Then you can apply for your interview, but must cancel the September 8th date.

Our question: Is it possible, or beneficial for us, for her to request her EMBASSY INTERVIEW say about 15 days, before the "two month wait is over"? I have read that some have done that, and by doing so, were able to get an interview in a shorter time. ..rather than wait until her shots, as they say that's all she will then need.. if so, it would save us another two week wait for an interview time.

Should we ask the embassy? Or should we just wait it out...do nothing to reschedule...until she is positive all is cleared with St. Luke's? Just asking. We have had no problems in our journey thus far, but this. She is devastated, but it was explained she can GO ANYWHERE...except the US. Any tiny mark, scar,etc., either from bronchitis, pheumonia in childhood...whatever...you must take the sputum test, and wait another two months. If anyone has had this experience, or any advice as to if it would be an advantage for us to schedule her interview "a little ahead of time" before her St. Luke's papers are approved, we would appreciate it.

Thank you for listening to a complicated story. Best of luck to all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We are through all the hard stuff. She had her interview scheduled for September 8th, 2016. We were thrilled. She went for her medical. St. Luke's in Manila (I am the K-1 petitioner to marry a filipina) All has been submitted as required. Have her Case number, everything ready. Everything, checked and double checked. Then the floor fell out from under her. I felt so bad for her: In 1994, she first went to work in Saudi. Had chest x-ray in Ph, and of course over there. She has been back and forth on contract for many years, to support her family. She has a tiny "scar" the size of a pin head, on one lung. It has been there, and approved (passed) her medical every time. The size, shape, etc., has never changed to this date.

When she passed all of her St. Luke's exam..they called her in and told her, with the tiny scar, you must do the sputum test. Then you must wait two months. Then you can apply for your interview, but must cancel the September 8th date.

Our question: Is it possible, or beneficial for us, for her to request her EMBASSY INTERVIEW say about 15 days, before the "two month wait is over"? I have read that some have done that, and by doing so, were able to get an interview in a shorter time. ..rather than wait until her shots, as they say that's all she will then need.. if so, it would save us another two week wait for an interview time.

Should we ask the embassy? Or should we just wait it out...do nothing to reschedule...until she is positive all is cleared with St. Luke's? Just asking. We have had no problems in our journey thus far, but this. She is devastated, but it was explained she can GO ANYWHERE...except the US. Any tiny mark, scar,etc., either from bronchitis, pheumonia in childhood...whatever...you must take the sputum test, and wait another two months. If anyone has had this experience, or any advice as to if it would be an advantage for us to schedule her interview "a little ahead of time" before her St. Luke's papers are approved, we would appreciate it.

Been to her situation before and now I'm here in the US with my husband. My suggestion is do not reschedule her interview until you have the result of her sputum. You can only book your interview for 2 times in the embassy so if you book the first one and you cancelled it make sure the second one is the final. What I did is I called SLEC almost 8 weeks of my sputum date result and the nurse told me that I'm for immunization just bring passport and receipt. On that day while I'm waiting at SLEC i checked the USEM website for availability dates of interview. When I got my vaccination record I immediately booked the nearest date. So for me, just wait until she has the result of her sputum. I met a girl there who underwent sputum too and her result turn to positive. SLEC called her on the 6th week of the sputum culture. She called me that she received a phone call from SLEC and I told her that no one calls me from SLEC.

Edited by FloridaHenry

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They want to culture the sputum because it could be TB. It is more difficult than average to grow a culture of TB and it takes a long time. So, I would advise you to wait till you have the results back for TB culture. Alternatively, but I doubt that Manila offers this solution, there is a test that is called "interferon Gold". It is a blood test and the result can be back in much shorter time. Here in the US, it is a send-out test. Meaning they have to send it out to major/bigger labs such as the mayo clinic to do this test. I guess you won't lose anything but she can check if they have that test. If they do, they may be able to give you earlier answers. If they don't, then you will probably have to wait for the culture results. Please note that when they collect the sputum, the sputum is examined initially and almost immediately they can tell if there is TB germs that are obviously in the sputum. If that's negative, then you can rest at least and know that there is not anything obviously wrong with her sputum. Then the waiting begins to confirm that the culture is negative after about 6-7 weeks. Does she having coughing, night sweats, chills, fever, unexplained weight loss? Those are the symptoms for early active TB. I hope that helps.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

~Moved from K1 Process to Phil. Regional Forum~

~Similar topics are often discussed at this forum~


Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

> Almost 2 years of our lives involved with the USCIS/DOS "shuffle" & worth every second of it ! <

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

_______________________

:idea: Read more, post less.... Google can be your friend ! :idea:

Prior apologies if I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Keep your timeline current: http://www.visajourney.com/timeline/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The sputum testing is a subject I think that doesn't come into the picture for many. We had no idea the U.S. had these specific rules about "healed lesions" that many people I am told,over 50 can have. My research shows me is is not uncommon.One member replied to me about interferon Gold...I can ask. But I doubt that St. Luke's will alter any of their proedures, or "everyone" would be requesting it and knowing how things work there, I doubt it would be considered, but we both appreciate the suggested approach. As for chills, fever, weight loss, coughing? None of it. In fact, my fiance' is very active, walks and jogs, does her weekly yoga exercises, and sometimes goes to the gym for exercise also. On the surface? She is probably more "fit" than nine out of ten women here in the USA. But rules...are rules. We are both of moral character and have been absolutely truthful every step of the way.

The advice given about rescheduling is so informative to us. It would be very unwise for us to take the "try for an earlier date" approach, considering that fact. We will wait until the two month trial is over, then reschedule. Better to lose a few more weeks, than to lose all our hard work, and long waiting time. Thank you for this very critical advice. I was unawared you could not schedule more than two times. One thing that does concern us, is that the individual is put into a room with "many" other filipinas wearing masks, and taking medication sitting next to you.. That sure seems unwise, medically speaking. Fortunately,, she was wearing a mask, but the closeness of somoene taking meds for TB next to you is a bit frightening.

I am not totally familiar with the "rules" on this site, and don't want to abuse them, but I would like to make one comment that may help others. We have an attorney. Thus far, it has been very helpful, except for one thing. He was following the guidelines to the letter for us. BUT: one thing delayed us almost three weeks: He was waiting for a notice to "pay the immigration interview fee"...and was going to use a credit card for prompt payment. However, unknown to him ~ the procedure was CHANGED. The fiance' must go and pay the "fee" personally at the BPI Bank, sending the fee in pesos, and getting her "receipt" which is critial and must be maintained safely to take to the interview. They will not provide another one, if lost or miss placed! I discovered by research here, and elsewhere, that the fiance pays..you don't DONT>> wait for a notice by email to now pay the fee...because it will never come. The procedure has changed. Our fees are paid, we are ready for everything, I-134, and all supporting documentation, her cover sheet for the I-160, etc. We will wait, and the advice makes perfect sense. We both appreciate the kindness of people who genuinely want to help others. So I added this bit of information to hopefully help someone else in the same situation.

We appreciate the suggestion of possibly trying the interferon Gold...test, but fear even requesting it or etc.,could "####### up" the works and delay things further...so we'll ride it out. Again, Thank you to all...who care.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I will check on the interferon gold..test. I can't see anything that would harm our petition if I were to try get an answer from St. Luke's. All they can say, is no. But I doubt it, or there would be many many filipinas asking for the "GOLD TEST"..and I'm sure that would be unacceptable to the regimen there. Again, I appreciate the sincere help.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You are welcome... I hope it helps! The specific name for the test is Quantiferon Gold... another similar test is called Quantiferon Gold in the tube for TB. Those tests are considered advanced and therefore relatively more expensive. That's why I think they will not have them in Manila. If they do, it is better than cultures and it is better to do it for everyone because it helps people to find out that they have TB early on, then they start treatment quicker before they continue to spread the disease to others. I just want to warn you that having a mask by itself is not sufficient to prevent getting TB. TB spreads very quickly, airborne, by being in the same room as a TB patient. There are special masks for TB N95 masks. Most healthcare workers don't put their own mask on correctly, so I doubt that the patients know how to do that. They have to be fitted for the size of the mask and then be tested and there is no air-leak into and out of the mask itself. In short, I would definitely stay away from places where known infected people are with TB (and taking medications). If you can find out the results on the phone, then do it that way. Stay away from those places and don't go there again unless you absolutely have to. Make sure you are fitted and tested for a mask and use your mask. I don't mean to scare you or anything, but I want you to have enough caution... That's all! I hope that helps and good luck to you!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -


Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
×