Bashorun

very confusing

10 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Hello everyone,

For those that did the k3, pls I need ur help here. I have been in the U.S for a month now and me and my wife contacted the Lanlord to put me in the lease today and when U came I gave her my passport for her to verify that am here legally. She asked for my SSN which I don't have one yet as I can only apply for that until after I have my EAD first and those of U doing the K-3 process U know well what am talking about. Me and my wife was so surprised when she said that my living here with my wife without a social security is a violation of the law. We didn't asked her anymore as she refuse to put me on the lease.

I asked my wife why is it a violation of the law as we don't know what she means by this. I know so many people here are in the k-3 process as well so pls advise me on this.

Embassy admit having petition (interview date not known yet) 20th Oct 2005

Picked up package 4 at embassy 24 of Oct

Interview date: 19th January 2006 DENIED (221G)

Second interview: 3rd of Feb 2006 VISA APPROVED! Thank U Lord!!!

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
Hello everyone,

For those that did the k3, pls I need ur help here. I have been in the U.S for a month now and me and my wife contacted the Lanlord to put me in the lease today and when U came I gave her my passport for her to verify that am here legally. She asked for my SSN which I don't have one yet as I can only apply for that until after I have my EAD first and those of U doing the K-3 process U know well what am talking about. Me and my wife was so surprised when she said that my living here with my wife without a social security is a violation of the law. We didn't asked her anymore as she refuse to put me on the lease.

I asked my wife why is it a violation of the law as we don't know what she means by this. I know so many people here are in the k-3 process as well so pls advise me on this.

lekan, I think the answer to your question is in the lease that your wife signed with this landlord originally. It is a legal contract, and it depends on what agreement your wife has with the landlord as to whether you may live there, be on the lease or whatever.

I understand how you feel, it was not right of that woman to explain it to you like that. It's not against the law for you to not have a social security number, but it may be against the contract of your wife's lease.

Your wife should read her lease to find out what rules she agreed to.

You should not show your passport to uninformed people---there are very few people who would know that you are here legally by looking at your K-3 in your passport, and it is not the job of anyone but an Immigration Officer to check your immigration status.

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide For New Immigrants

Yes, even this last one.. stuff in there that not even your USC knows.....

Here are more links that I love:

Arriving in America, The POE Drill

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

alt.visa.us.marriage-based http://britishexpats.com/ and www.***removed***.com

censored link = *family based immigration* website

Inertia. Is that the Greek god of 'can't be bothered'?

Met, married, immigrated, naturalized.

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

No Deje Piedras Sobre El Pavimento!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

Of course it's not against the law for you to not have a SSN yet. It's all part of the process.

Be informed that many US citizens do not have a full understanding of immigration law, so don't expect them to give you accurate information about it.

It's highly unusual for any landlord to allow a tenant to sign a lease if they do not yet have their SSN. In fact, I did not add my husband to my lease until it was time to renew (about 4 months after we got married, 5 months after his SSN was issued).

The only advice I can give you is to get your SSN as soon as possible, and then get added to your lease.

Sep, 1992 - First contact, as teenage penpals

1998 - Fell in love

Sep 12, 2002 - First meeting

Nov 13, 2003 - Engaged!

June 10, 2004 - I-129F expressed to Texas

June 15, 2004 - NOA1

Aug 12, 2004 - NOA2

Oct 2004 - Called Accra Embassy, picked up packet

Nov 23, 2004 - Got appt for Jan. 20

Dec 14, 2004 - Medicals & Vaccinations

Jan 13-23, 2005 - Dana goes to Ghana to attend interview

Jan 21, 2005 - Visa appointment! APPROVED!!!

Feb 4, 2005 - Visa pick-up date. Not yet processed. Peter told to come back Feb. 11! ARGH!

Feb 11 - Peter's brother gets visitor's visa to attend wedding. YES!

Feb 11, Part 2 - Peter got his passport back with the visa! Woohoo!

Feb 21, 2005 - Transit visa received

Feb 23, 2005 - Peter comes to Atlanta!

March 10, 2005 - Applied for SSN

Apr 2 - Wedding! Honeymoon!

Apr 18 - Reapplied for SSN (we never got it)

Apr 18 - Received marriage certificate in the mail

Apr 25 - Received SS card

Jun 19, 2005 - Submitted AOS and EAD

Jun 21, 2005 - AOS package received at Chicago Lockbox

Jul 1, 2005 - Checks cashed

Jul 5, 2005 - NOA's received for both AOS & EAD

Jul 6, 2005 - Walk-in biometrics

Aug 29, 2005 - EAD email approval (Dated 8/21) / EAD received same day

Nov 9, 2005 - I-485 forwarded to CSC

Jan 18,19,20,21 - Touched 4 times

Feb 7, 2006 - Case approved. We're free!

Mar 7, 2006 - Infopass appt - got I-551 stamp (Green card still not received)

Apr 3, 2006 - Got Welcome Letter and GC!

Oct 12, 2007 - Lifting of Conditions

Dec 2, 2009 - Naturalization!!!!!!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Thanks for ur response, my wife has been telling her landlord over 6 months before I arrive here that I will be coming so it is not a new thing to her. I will rather understand that she doesn't understand immigration law but why is it going to be problem living with my wife even if I don't have a social security yet to be added to the lease? she made it look like my living with my wife is illegal when actually my wife signed an affidavit to provide shelter and all that for me when I come here. We are husband and wife as we re legally married. I did not see anywhere in the lease that says ur husband must not live here with U. It just ask for the number of family and since I wasn't here then there was no way I can be added to the lease.

It take around 3 to 4 months to get an EAD and U can only apply for a SSN after U have the EAD. so what can I do here and this is out of my hands. The USCIS dictate the speed.

Embassy admit having petition (interview date not known yet) 20th Oct 2005

Picked up package 4 at embassy 24 of Oct

Interview date: 19th January 2006 DENIED (221G)

Second interview: 3rd of Feb 2006 VISA APPROVED! Thank U Lord!!!

Filed: Timeline

My husband is here on a K-3 as well and I was under the impression that you could get a ss without your EAD but it cant be used for employment purposes. I contacted to SS office and they informed me to bring in my hubbys I94 from his visa, along with his passport and NOA@ approval to office because he needs social fo his drivers liscence. i will let you know how it goes .I was also able to add my husband onto my lease at our old home even before he arrived and used it at his interview. It may also depend on your or in your case your wifes relationship with your landlord.

Edited by felshen
.png

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Don't worry about the landlord, she does not know what she is saying. It is not illegal for you to be here without a ss number. Maybe she thinks you came here illegally and thus do not qualify for a ss number. It sounds like she does not understand the process very well.

I agree with Felshen that you may be able to get a ss number for driving / work purposes.

Best Wishes

Sorry I can't edit. I meant for driving purposes, but not work.

K3

10-xx-04 I129 sent

05-xx-05 NOA1 from USCIS - Aproved - Abandoned for Cr1

CR1

11-15-04 I-130 sent

12-10-04 NOA 1 fee changed had to resend info with new fee

12-11-04 Resend case with new fee

02-14-05 NOA 2 I-130 Case aproved and sent to NVC

02-25-05 NVC received case

03-21-05 Received I-864 fee bill

03-22-05 Sent $70 I-864 payment to

04-16-05 Received IV fee bill

04-17-05 Sent $ 380 IV payment to NVC

05-02-05 Received I-864 packet from NVC

05-02-05 Sent I-864 packet to NVC

05-11-05 NVC received IV payment

05-16-05 NVC sent third packet

05-25-05 Received DS-230 and third packet instructions

06-06-05 NVCReceived DS-230 per fed ex confirmation

06-07-05 NVC Enters DS-230 information in system

waiting waiting waiting

06-20-05 Case Completed!!!!!!!yipee.

waiting for interview date.............

7-26-05 Baby born!!!! yaya

8-15-05 Interview set for 9-29-05

9-29-05 Interview suck they want more proof

10-20-05 second interview

10-24-05 yaya haleloujhya finally got it.

10-28-05 going to meet husband in New York. yayayaya

10-30-05 Home!!!!

Lifting Conditions

7-28-07 Mailed form I751 and supporting documents. $275 (Old fee!!!!!Yipee!!!)

8-17-07 Check cleared my account.

8-20-07 Touched

8-30-07 Received Biometric apointment letter.

9-11-07 Biometrics Apointment

9-22-07 Received letter of approval

9-24-07 Received GC Whoo hoo done for 10 years!!!

09-20-09 Sent N-400 for Citizenship

11-01-09 Bio

01-11-10 Passed Interview

01-16-10 Received notice for swearing in ceremony

02-03-10 Swearing in ceremony

My husband is here on a K-3 as well and I was under the impression that you could get a ss without your EAD but it cant be used for employment purposes. I contacted to SS office and they informed me to bring in my hubbys I94 from his visa, along with his passport and NOA@ approval to office because he needs social fo his drivers liscence. i will let you know how it goes .

Good Luck with that! That'd be the first K3 I ever heard of that was able to get a SSN w/o the EAD. Hope it works for you. :thumbs:

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
My husband is here on a K-3 as well and I was under the impression that you could get a ss without your EAD but it cant be used for employment purposes. I contacted to SS office and they informed me to bring in my hubbys I94 from his visa, along with his passport and NOA@ approval to office because he needs social fo his drivers liscence. i will let you know how it goes .

Good Luck with that! That'd be the first K3 I ever heard of that was able to get a SSN w/o the EAD. Hope it works for you. :thumbs:

hmmm.. was gonna say so earlier. But then I thought about that thrid class of card that mdyoung mentioned. I think SSA killed that awhile ago though. The SS# is for employment tax reporting & SSA doesn't care that everyone and their brother is using the number for other purposes (so they don't care if your life is on hold until you're employment authorized).

felshen, I think you should save yourself a trip to SSA.

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide For New Immigrants

Yes, even this last one.. stuff in there that not even your USC knows.....

Here are more links that I love:

Arriving in America, The POE Drill

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

alt.visa.us.marriage-based http://britishexpats.com/ and www.***removed***.com

censored link = *family based immigration* website

Inertia. Is that the Greek god of 'can't be bothered'?

Met, married, immigrated, naturalized.

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

No Deje Piedras Sobre El Pavimento!

hmmm.. was gonna say so earlier. But then I thought about that thrid class of card that mdyoung mentioned. I think SSA killed that awhile ago though. The SS# is for employment tax reporting & SSA doesn't care that everyone and their brother is using the number for other purposes (so they don't care if your life is on hold until you're employment authorized).

felshen, I think you should save yourself a trip to SSA.

There's a list of valid non-work reasons to obtain a SSN. As far as I know, one has to fit into one of the scenarios. If I remember correctly, most of the exceptions were related to means tested gov't assistance of some sort which we all know the K3 is not eligible for to begin with. None of them care about drivers licenses and the like. In fact, these days states such as TN, KY and OH (those I know for sure) will issue DL or Driving Certificate to applicants w/o SSN if the applicant can bring a statement from the SSN that (s)he is not eligible for one. Thus, no K3 I know of has yet managed to obtain a SSN prior to being eligible to work.

But since many a SSA office has workers with their heads up their behinds, it may be worth a try. Why should there not be an office that errs in favor of the applicant? Odds are against, for sure, but it may still be worth a try.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.