lunz

Police certificate, a fine of 150$, property damage

5 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Saudi Arabia
Timeline

Hello everyone, so I have started the whole K1 visa process about a month ago, my fiancee (petitioner) already mailed the form I-129f and we recently received the NOA1.

Originally I am from Lebanon, I went to college in USA and now I am working in KSA for the last two years. I started gathering the required documents for my upcoming interview and i was surprised to see that i have a fine of 150$, property damage on my police certificate from Lebanon. I had a car accident a while ago where I hit a light post on the street and I already paid the fine. I have the police report, and the court cost with the fine to show.

I hope you can all tell me how this is going to affect my case or maybe give me any suggestions from personal experience.

Thank you.

Edited by lunz

Hello everyone, so I have started the whole K1 visa process about a month ago, my fiancee (petitioner) already mailed the form I-129f and we recently received the NOA1.

Originally I am from Lebanon, I went to college in USA and now I am working in KSA for the last two years. I started gathering the required documents for my upcoming interview and i was surprised to see that i have a fine of 150$, property damage on my police certificate from Lebanon. I had a car accident a while ago where I hit a light post on the street and I already paid the fine. I have the police report, and the court cost with the fine to show.

I hope you can all tell me how this is going to affect my case or maybe give me any suggestions from personal experience.

Thank you.

I really don't know how it works as this is a car accident. I honestly think you should be fine.

Even if they consider it as a "normal" property damage the offense falls under the petty crime exception.

To find out whether it might be considered as petty , the maximum sentence possible locally (not in the United States) is what determines whether the petty offense exception applies.

A crime involving moral turpitude is considered a petty offense if:

the maximum penalty that you could have received for committing the offense is exactly one year or less, AND

you personally were sentenced to no more than six months imprisonment, regardless of the amount of time you actually served.

So either way, I don't think it can cause a problem. I just don't know how the officer is going to see it in regards to that you didn't disclose this court matter on your DS-160 when you applied for your student visa. You didn't get arrested and just had to show up in court,right?!

I hope someone with more knowledge about property damage that is caused with a car can chime in.

Edited by Californiansunset

It should not be a problem as long as you have settled all outstanding fines and damages...

My K1 Timeline:
01/11/2012.....I-129F Petition sent
01/17/2012.....NOA1
06/28/2012.....NOA2
07/02/2012.....NVC receive
07/06/2012.....Left NVC
07/19/2012.....Consulate receive
07/19/2012.....Packet 3
08/21/2012.....Interview - APPROVED
08/22/2012.....K1 visa issued
08/30/2012.....POE Dallas

My AOS Timeline:
09/26/2012.....Marriage
10/22/2012.....I-485 AOS together with I-131 AP and I-765 EAD application sent
11/06/2012.....NOA I-485/I-131/I-765
12/06/2012.....Biometrics appointment
12/28/2012.....EAD/AP approved
01/07/2013.....Combo Card EAD/AP received

08/09/2013.....Interview - APPROVED

08/17/2013.....Conditional Green Card received

My ROC Timeline:
05/11/2015.....Mailed I-751
05/21/2015.....NOA1

06/15/2015.....Biometrics appointment

11/02/2015.....Green Card APPROVED (no interview)

11/09/2015.....Green Card received

My Naturalization Timeline:

05/16/2016......Mailed N-400

05/21/2016......NOA1

06/07/2016......Biometrics appointment

01/23/2017......Interview - APPROVED

02/14/2017......Oath Ceremony

When I had a student visa, I didn't have that car accident yet. And yes I already paid all the fines and damages...

Thank you for your replies, I really hope I won't have any issues.

Oh then it's definitely not a problem. Don't worry about it!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.