sam240

US Citizen Marrying a Canadian Citizen need advice.

7 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

I'm a US Citizen and my fiance, She is a Canadian Citizen. We're planning on getting married in Canada next month and I'm wondering if I should apply for fiance visa or wait to apply for spouse visa? What's the quickest way. I only have about 30 days before marriage more or less. We had a small engagement at her house in Canada a month ago and I have a few pictures from the day we got engaged as a proof.

After you are married she cannot come on fiance visa. Fiance visa requires you to marry in the US within 90 days of entering, and then she would not be able to leave the US for months afterwards. If you guys must marry in Canada, then the only choice is to get a spousal visa after marriage.

After you are married she cannot come on fiance visa. Fiance visa requires you to marry in the US within 90 days of entering, and then she would not be able to leave the US for months afterwards. If you guys must marry in Canada, then the only choice is to get a spousal visa after marriage.

if I apply for spousal visa, during the process, can she visit USA for 6 months or will she have to wait for approval?

*~*~*moved from CR-1 spouse visa process and procedures" to "what visa to I need?" as OP is wanting information on visa types*~*~*

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Most Canadians who have a job or are currently attending school dont have too many issues visiting for short periods at a time (like 2 weeks or less.) I visited three times after marriage and didnt have issues with my 7 or 10 day stays.

K1 is out of the question because you are a) marrying in Canada and b) marrying in 30 days. Really A was enough, lol.

Dont forget to declare any rings when you cross btw.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

6 months however, is a long time and likely to be denied entry. Anything too long will have lots of questions for someone married to a USC. Dont ever lie to CBP either. That can get her banned for life. I told the truth when I visited. I wasn't visiting friends, I was visiting my husband so I said that. Visiting family would have been truthful but had they asked which family and I said husband, they'd wonder why I just didn't say that in the first place.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.