clairebear24

I-864 question - choosing a sponsor

5 posts in this topic

Hi everyone! I just want to make sure everything works out well in our petition so I want to choose the best option. I am petitioning my kids and husband and will be needing a joint sponsor and I have three who already agreed.

My sister is a USC who makes $50k a year, she is willing to sponsor, I also have a bestfriend who is a LPR who makes $68k a year. They both just moved to the US in 2014 while my husband's bestfriend earns $75k a year, he has been working since 2012. They are all single with no kids and all live in San Francisco.

Would our case be stronger if we took someone related as a sponsor like my sister even if she only makes 50k a year? or are we better off getting someone with higher income even if they're a green card holder and not yet a citizen?

Do we need to get someone who would live in the same state? We'll live in Illinois and they live in SF.

Also would it matter if we have different sponsors for my kids and husband? My husband's bestfriend would sponsor him and my bestfriend or sister would sponsor my kids, or are we better off getting someone who would sponsor all three of them?

Sorry for the long post. I just want to make sure that I make the right choice. Thank you so much!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

hi

it doesn't matter if the joint sponsor is related or not, just that he or she qualifies

there is no exact answer, it really depends on the joint sponsor, if his friend is will to sponsor all three, that is fine

if you want to split them, that can also be done since they are separate petitions

is the joint sponsor willing to cover for all 3?

hi

it doesn't matter if the joint sponsor is related or not, just that he or she qualifies

there is no exact answer, it really depends on the joint sponsor, if his friend is will to sponsor all three, that is fine

if you want to split them, that can also be done since they are separate petitions

is the joint sponsor willing to cover for all 3?

Thank you for your reply :)

I haven't asked them if they're willing to sponsor all 3 cause I think it might be a bigger duty compared to sponsoring just 1 or 2. But would it make it easier or more established if I only had 1 sponsor for all 3 of them? :) and their US status won't matter?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

hi

they all have to be USC or LPR to qualify for a joint sponsor

the highest one is the better one, but as said it all depends on them, ask them first,

but know that if they only want to sponsor one, then you will need to ask all 3 of them

all of them make over they poverty guidelines, which for 4 people, is over 30K

the friend is the best, ask him first, because he makes the most and he has been working longer

but the others qualify as well, as long as they USC or LPR

hi

they all have to be USC or LPR to qualify for a joint sponsor

the highest one is the better one, but as said it all depends on them, ask them first,

but know that if they only want to sponsor one, then you will need to ask all 3 of them

all of them make over they poverty guidelines, which for 4 people, is over 30K

the friend is the best, ask him first, because he makes the most and he has been working longer

but the others qualify as well, as long as they USC or LPR

Ahh! I see! Alright I'll talk to him and hopefully he'll agree to sponsor all 3.

Thank you very much! You've been very helpful! :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.