Canadiangal123

Questions about DS-160 form

5 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hello everyone!

I wanted to first off thank anyone in advance who has taken the time to offer advice and/or insight, it truly is hugely appreciated. :wub:

My Fiance and I recently had our K1 visa petition approved. I will be the one moving from CANADA to the US and now today I have received the package containing the packet 3 letter, copy of my approved petition and the pamphlet for rights and protections for foreign-citizen fiance(e)s.

I am currently filling out the DS-160 form to send back to the consulate but I have a few questions about what to answer for some areas as it is not that clear to me.

First concern - My mailing address. Although I did receive this package of mail from the consulate in my mailbox today, I'm concerned that if I put my home address as my mailing address on the DS-160, they will send it as registered mail and nobody will be here to sign for it. Is it possible to put my local post office as the mailing address so I can go and sign for it there?
My fiance had this happen to him and it delayed us by about a month until he changed his mailing address to his work address, the problem is that I don't want this type of mail going to my work.

2. It asked me if I had been to the states before. I have when I was about 8 for a week's vacation with my family but I don't remember the date and my mother doesn't either - It says.. "If you are unsure about when you visited the U.S., please provide a best estimate." I could guess around the time but if I am way off, I wonder if that would be really bad for us if they looked into it

3. "Has anyone ever filed an immigrant petition on your behalf with the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services?"

I was going to say yes because obviously by fiance has filed it for us but in the little text field below, should I write "Yes my fiance has filed the K1 visa petition for us which was approved" or something along those lines?

4. It's asking me where my dad lives. I have no idea where he is and I think it's going to make me put something. Do you think writing NA would be acceptable?

5. It's asking me about if I had a past spouse. I was common law when I was a teenage with a boyfriend and it says on google that a common law is legally considered a spouse.... It's asking me on the same page our date of marriage and why we divorced but we never got married....

6. "Have you belonged to, contributed to, or worked for any professional, social, or charitable organization? "
I am not sure if this is talking about my work or not when it says "professional".

I don't think I have done any charity or volunteer work that I can remember or that would be on record.

I think this is it for now but when I read over it again, there may be more things I am not sure about.

Anyway sorry for the wall of text. I wish it made more sense to me but I am really afraid of messing this up.

Thank you thank you thank you. :thumbs:

Best regards,

Jamie & Charlie

Timeline

I forgot a question.
7. It asks about travel companions. I feel like this should be answered yes if I am trying to bring kids or parents or something to live which I am not. When I am moving to the states with all of my belongings, I will be with my fiance and my 2 family friends who have agreed to help move me but they are obviously not staying. Do I still have to mention them?

Timeline

Bolded my answers below for you. Not 100% sure about all of them, but don't over think it too much! There is an expample form on here, I think you should review that as well. It will help to understand the questions!!

Hello everyone!

I wanted to first off thank anyone in advance who has taken the time to offer advice and/or insight, it truly is hugely appreciated. :wub:

My Fiance and I recently had our K1 visa petition approved. I will be the one moving from CANADA to the US and now today I have received the package containing the packet 3 letter, copy of my approved petition and the pamphlet for rights and protections for foreign-citizen fiance(e)s.

I am currently filling out the DS-160 form to send back to the consulate but I have a few questions about what to answer for some areas as it is not that clear to me.

First concern - My mailing address. Although I did receive this package of mail from the consulate in my mailbox today, I'm concerned that if I put my home address as my mailing address on the DS-160, they will send it as registered mail and nobody will be here to sign for it. Is it possible to put my local post office as the mailing address so I can go and sign for it there?
My fiance had this happen to him and it delayed us by about a month until he changed his mailing address to his work address, the problem is that I don't want this type of mail going to my work.

I think if you put your address and they require a signature on anything they would hold it at the post office if you weren't home. That is how other registered mail has worked for me. I would put a home address on it. I would not put the post office as they would probably return to sender because they won't know where you are.

That all said, I think they need your address to send the actual visa to you which will be done by courier and you will have to pick it up. Others can correct if I am wrong there.

2. It asked me if I had been to the states before. I have when I was about 8 for a week's vacation with my family but I don't remember the date and my mother doesn't either - It says.. "If you are unsure about when you visited the U.S., please provide a best estimate." I could guess around the time but if I am way off, I wonder if that would be really bad for us if they looked into it

They won't care if you are off. I had been to the states numerous times and I just listed as best as I could remember. I think they get with Canadians we cross the border more frequently and land crossing is hard to track back on.

3. "Has anyone ever filed an immigrant petition on your behalf with the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services?"

I was going to say yes because obviously by fiance has filed it for us but in the little text field below, should I write "Yes my fiance has filed the K1 visa petition for us which was approved" or something along those lines?

I put No for this one as I assumed they were referring to other petitions, not the one they were currently looking at. I think the example for on here did the same.

4. It's asking me where my dad lives. I have no idea where he is and I think it's going to make me put something. Do you think writing NA would be acceptable?

Not sure on this one. Hopefully someone has advice. Maybe search on here, seems like a question others have probably had.

5. It's asking me about if I had a past spouse. I was common law when I was a teenage with a boyfriend and it says on google that a common law is legally considered a spouse.... It's asking me on the same page our date of marriage and why we divorced but we never got married....

Not sure here either, but since you were a teenager, I think for me I would say no unless I filed taxes as a common law... if you lived together, but nothing legally showing you were and you were under 18 I am not sure they would consider that married. I would think they would then need proof you are no longer married/common law if you say yes.

6. "Have you belonged to, contributed to, or worked for any professional, social, or charitable organization? "
I am not sure if this is talking about my work or not when it says "professional".

I don't think I have done any charity or volunteer work that I can remember or that would be on record.

I had similar questions here. In the end, I only included charities I have reported in my taxes. Professional organizations is not your employer, they mean like if you had a professional designation

and for your 7th question - I don't think they meant who you are traveling with... I think they mean are you immigrating with other people. I couldn't find this question on my forms, so not totally sure. I doubt they need to know that you might be crossing with the USC Fiance though.

I think this is it for now but when I read over it again, there may be more things I am not sure about.

Anyway sorry for the wall of text. I wish it made more sense to me but I am really afraid of messing this up.

Thank you thank you thank you. :thumbs:

Best regards,

Jamie & Charlie

--------------------------

K-1 Visa Timeline

--------------------------

04/21/2014: Submitted I-129F

05/29/2014: NOA2 via email

01/20/2015: Visa Received

03/15/2015: POE

04/01/2015: Married!! (L)

04/11/2015: Submitted AOS / EAD / AP

10/09/2015: Green Card Approved

07/20/2017: Submitted I-751 ROC

07/27/2017: NOA1 Received

10/14/2017: Biometrics Waived

10/27/2018: ROC Approved

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Norway
Timeline

2) As they say, they want your best estimate. Not being 100% correct is not a problem.

3) Yes, a petition (current one) has been filed for you.

4) Write "unknown".

5) No, that does not count. You would also get stuck because you can't supply a divorce decree.

7) No

If it isn't difficult, it isn't worth it.

K1 process

9/24/15: I129f sent

9/30/15: NOA1

11/2/15: NOA2

Delayed processing due to work

3/15/16: Medical

4/28/16: Interview (approved)

Delayed entry due to work

8/12/16: POE Detroit

9/4/16: Wedding!

AOS process:

9/9/16: I485/I131/I765 sent

9/14/16: Received 3xNOAs by text/e-mail (day 2)

9/14-18/16: Received 3xpaper NOAs 

9/23/16: Received biometrics appointment letter (day 11)

10/3/16: Biometrics appointment (day 19)

11/4/16: EAD+AP approved (day 53)

11/16/16: EAD status changed to card shipped (day 65)

11/17/16: EAD/AP combo card received (day 66)

12/30/16: Notice of interview scheduled (day 109)

2/1/17: AOS interview (day 142) - APPROVED

2/8/17: GC received (day 150)

ROC process:

11/3/2018: ROC window opens

Timeline

2) As they say, they want your best estimate. Not being 100% correct is not a problem.

3) Yes, a petition (current one) has been filed for you.

4) Write "unknown".

5) No, that does not count. You would also get stuck because you can't supply a divorce decree.

7) No

Thank you!!!!!! <3 Going to finish filling this all out now.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.