gandrade

DS-261 Decision Help

3 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Hello,

My wife is currently petitioning for her mom to come over to the US from Russia. We have our case at the NVC, and we are on step 1 and confused!

My wife's mom does not speak English, and we are wondering about the DS-261 Choice of Agent form. If my wife chooses to be the agent does that mean that all documentation has to be mailed from her? Or can my wife's mom also submit documentation?

If my wife chooses to the be the agent, will my wife's mom still get correspondence to her home in Russia?

Thanks for your help in advance!

Filed: IR-5 Country: Bulgaria
Timeline

Hi guys! I am also petitioning for mom to come live with me from Bulgaria, and we are at the stage where we are waiting for a case complete from NVC. Yes, choose the daughter to be the agent. From then on NVC will e-mail their instructions online to both the daughter and the mom! No regular mail from NVC after that, just emails.

The only documentation that the mom needs to have (NOT send) are her original civil documents and she does not mail anything to NVC, everything is done by the daughter from the USA until you have a case complete at NVC. After that the interview is scheduled at the consulate and the mom will receive instructions from the Consulate (I think by regular mail) about the medical etc. Then she does the medical and gathers up all her original paperwork that the daughter has already sent copies of to NVC and goes to the interview with those originals. The mom has to be able to scan the original paperwork (her civil documents with translations) and send it to the daughter by email. Or mail copies, if you prefer, but it will be slower. Now at this stage, what you need to do is get mom to get her civil documents asap, things progress quite quick from now on, and you don`t want to slow it down by not being ready. Check out my signature to see how fast things go on average!

Godspeed to you! :)

Mom`s IR-5 Visa Journey:

2016-01-22: I-130 Sent :thumbs:

2016-01-27: I-130 NOA1 :clock:

2016-06-01: I-130 NOA2 :dancing:

2016-06-10: USCIS mailed case to NVC

2016-06-16: NVC received case

2016-06-29: Case Number assigned :dancing:

2016-06-30: DS-261 filled out

2016-06-30: AOS fee paid

2016-07-01: IV and AOS package mailed

2016-07-05: IV and AOS package received by NVC

2016-07-08: IV fee paid; DS-261 reviewed

2016-07-13: DS-260 filled out

2016-08-03: Case Complete :dancing:

2016-08-04: Interview Date scheduled: Sep, 21

2016-09-01: Medical Completed - NO vaccines!!! :no: So happy!

2016-09-21: Interview - APPROVED!!! :dancing: :dancing: :dancing:

Nothing is mailed and both petitioner and beneficiary can submit documents and fill out forms. So go ahead and select your wife as the agent since she has the US address.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.