thrashunreal

POE/Flights

7 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

British Airways are having a sale and I *really* want to take advantage to secure my flight to be with my partner.

We received our NOA2 text/email on 7/6 and will be going through the London embassy.

So I have two questions:

When would an achievable month to book a flight for be? I already am fully aware that absolutely everyone says not to book anything until the visa is in hand, but these flights are so low I feel it would be silly to pass them up.

I have looked at the London forums, can anyone suggest a reasonable timeline allowing for error/any possible hold-ups?

Secondly: the flights would be for 14 days. Does this matter? I obviously intend on cancelling the return.

I-129F sent: 2016-04-27

NOA1 Email & Text: 2016-05-04

NOA1 Received in Mail: 2016-05-18

NOA2 Email & Text: 2016-07-06 (63 DAYS!)

NOA2 Received in Mail: 2016-07-18

Can't help with the timescale as we are on a different visa path. But flights... Why British airways? Someone else will fly the route too. And after the BA sale is over, another carrier will be on offer. And you can save even more if you are creative with your routing. Example - just looked at BA to Seattle for a random date in September return. Almost £800. But Copenhagen to Seattle on BA on the same flight from London that costs £800 booked from London is less than £400 on the same date. It's a bit of a hassle but it saves a lot of money. That's the sort of thing I do when I can't get an employee ticket and I've never paid more than £300 to get to the west coast. I use air miles for the London to Copenhagen, Oslo or Stockholm tickets.

You can book it for whichever duration you want. Why not book it for a year with a date-change option in case you want to come back at Christmas or something?

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

We just booked a non-stop, round trip Heathrow to Houston starting Aug 29 on United for my husbands' daughter. £470. That route has not been so low in years.

To the OP...I would guess mid October and beyond might be safe if you have your ducks in a row already. Shots, police certificate, I-134 prepared and ready to mail including a letter from your employer. all the require documents, passport photos for medical and embassy, no previous medical problems or drug trying which could hold you up, no police incidents even a caution.

The date of your booked return does not matter. They don't ask about your plane reservations at POE.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hi sorry - what letter do I need from my employer? I am the UK beneficiary, so I was under the impression that it is my partner who needs the letter from his employer, not me?

Edited by thrashunreal

I-129F sent: 2016-04-27

NOA1 Email & Text: 2016-05-04

NOA1 Received in Mail: 2016-05-18

NOA2 Email & Text: 2016-07-06 (63 DAYS!)

NOA2 Received in Mail: 2016-07-18

Hi sorry - what letter do I need from my employer? I am the UK beneficiary, so I was under the impression that it is my partner who needs the letter from his employer, not me?

You said "we" received NOA2 so my answer was to the combined "we" because it was unclear to whom I was speaking. You are correct, the beneficiary does not prove their UK income.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

British Airways are having a sale and I *really* want to take advantage to secure my flight to be with my partner.

We received our NOA2 text/email on 7/6 and will be going through the London embassy.

So I have two questions:

When would an achievable month to book a flight for be? I already am fully aware that absolutely everyone says not to book anything until the visa is in hand, but these flights are so low I feel it would be silly to pass them up.

I have looked at the London forums, can anyone suggest a reasonable timeline allowing for error/any possible hold-ups?

Secondly: the flights would be for 14 days. Does this matter? I obviously intend on cancelling the return.

Only you can answer this, as you have already said you are aware that you shouldn't book tickets.

You answered your own question!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.