5 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

We are going through the IR-1 visa through the consulate in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. After reviewing the embassy website we found some, what seems to be, conflicting information regarding police certificates. On the the website it gives tabs of what documents are needed for the interview and there are two for police certificates. One tab says Police Certificates which states that you need one for any place you lived since the age of 16. The other tab says Police Certificates for Brazil which says you only need certificates from places you lived longer than 6 months for the last 5 years.

Has anyone went through processing in Rio that has lived in other countries or states? If so what type of police certificates did you submit?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

I think it means that, any place you have lived longer than 6 months for the last 5 years since you attained 16 yrs of age.

Example, If you live in Bogota for 7 months in the part 5yrs after your 16th birthday, you should get a police certificate from Bogota in addition to the certificate from Rio.

(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)

CR- 1

Interview :  11/15/2016

Result: AP  (form 221 (g))

Correspondence with Embassy: Tons of emails, Facebook posts, tweets, Congressman inquiry

Complaint letter with OIG : 12/29/2016

Case dispatched to diplomatic pouch : 01/11/2017

Case dispatched from diplomatic mail service to NVC : 01/23/2017

Case arrived at NVC: 01/26/2017

NVC sent case to USCIS : 02/09/2017 (system update)

Case receive by USCIS (text & email notification): 03/07/2017

Reaffirm Petition Timeline for folks in GHANA.. Please update your information..Thank you!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1k0NXnbJdyEIRR1_Dr4t3yXmsM0tBbq-tZsj0-o3cMV0/edit?usp=sharing

Timeline

We are going through the IR-1 visa through the consulate in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. After reviewing the embassy website we found some, what seems to be, conflicting information regarding police certificates. On the the website it gives tabs of what documents are needed for the interview and there are two for police certificates. One tab says Police Certificates which states that you need one for any place you lived since the age of 16. The other tab says Police Certificates for Brazil which says you only need certificates from places you lived longer than 6 months for the last 5 years.

Has anyone went through processing in Rio that has lived in other countries or states? If so what type of police certificates did you submit?

Although in the past 5 years I haven't been living in Minas Gerais, I was born there and lived there until I was 28. I currently live in Sao Paulo. I have submitted SP and MG police records. I cannot say for sure if they were required but I submitted anyway.

Timeline

After 3 emails and a month later the consulate in Rio finally responded to our question. She said in Brazil if it has been longer than 5 years then it is not necessary. But I believe that if you lived in another country for more than 12 months since the age of 16 then it is necessary to get a police certificate.

• 3 months later...
Timeline

After 3 emails and a month later the consulate in Rio finally responded to our question. She said in Brazil if it has been longer than 5 years then it is not necessary. But I believe that if you lived in another country for more than 12 months since the age of 16 then it is necessary to get a police certificate.

So, ChefJW

your statement is the very answer that deals with our problem so i want to make sure if i read it right. I am excited.

my spouse, who is now 40 yrs old, had stayed in sao paolo for more than 6 mos, when she was only 17 to 18 yrs of age, which means she was there some 22 years ago.

she has not gone back to stay there. does this mean, she does not need any police clearance/certificate from sao paolo? she lives in jabora city, Santa Catarina.

Am I right, ChefJW.

Thank you for your research. Hope she won't get denied if she does not have the Sao Paolo Police certificate.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.