11 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

I mailed the change of adress (AR-11) via mail to USCIS (Kentucky).

Will I get a confirmation that they received the form?

Anyone here that experienced the same situation?

06/02/2006 - filed I-129F

12/16/2006 - Enter States thru Atlanta

01/13/2007 - Marriage

01/19/2007 - Filed AOS and EAD to Chicago

02/06/2007 - NOA that AOS has been forwarded to CSC

02/12/2007 - Fingerprinting in St. Louis

03/28/2007 - email notification that card production ordered!!!! (Day 68)

04/20/2007 - GC in the mail.....no more USCIS for 2 years!!!!!

12/29/08 - Filed I-751 to VSC

01/12/09 - NOA in mail

01/24/09 - received ASC notice

02/06/09 - biometrics appointment in Orlando

02/09/09 - touch

06/01/09 - approval letter in mail

12/11/09 - Filed N-400 to NSC

12/14/09 - Package arrived at NSC

12/26/09 - NOA in mail

01/22/10 - Fingerprinting in Orlando

03/08/10 - Interview in Orlando (passed)

03/12/10 - Oath Ceremony

Matthew Quoc-Minh *11/29/08*

7 lbs 6 oz. (3.35 kg) and 20" (51cm)

01/29/09 (2-month-check-up): 11.9 lbs (5.4 kg) and 22" (56cm)

03/30/09 (4-month-check-up): 16.5 lbs (7.5 kg) and 25" (63cm)

05/29/09 (6-month-check-up): 19.2 lbs (8.7 kg) and 26" (66cm)

12/1/09 (12-month-check-up): 22 lbs (10 kg) and 30.3" (77cm)

06/11/10 (18-month-check-up): 27.5 lbs (12.5 kg) and 33.5" (85cm)

12/13/10 (24-month-check-up): 31.7 lbs (14.4 kg) and 35.8" (91cm)

Filed: Other Timeline

I changed my address online instead of filling out AR-11 and they mailed as a confirmation.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

I mailed my change of address to the USCIS, and I never got a receipt or something that proves I did what the law requires. The second time though, I sent the change of address with a signature required mail( I think it was flate rate mail). you can find out more from the post office. and I got a mail recepit that they received it.

Also, I called the 1800 number for change of address. and they sent me something in the mail for the change of address. However, when I went to the USCIS local office, I found out that my pending application DID NOT SHOW the new address. :huh: so, I had to give them again my new address there.

I suggest you do these three things just to be on the safe side if you have a pending application. if you already got your G card, you could just update your address online.

Page 92 of the 2006 USCIS Ombudsman report notes:

"...Currently, USCIS requires customers to file Form AR-11, Alien’s Change of Address Card, to comply with the statutory requirement to report any change of address within ten days.114 No receipt is provided to the customer to indicate the AR-11 has been received and/or processed by USCIS, despite the fact that the customer can be held criminally liable and removed from the United States for failing to file the AR-11.115 Many USCIS customers

presume that by filing Form AR-11 and complying with the statutory requirement, they are updating their address in all records retained by USCIS. However, USCIS does not use Form AR-11 to update customer addresses in its immigration benefits databases. As a result, customers must notify individual USCIS offices separately. However, no language on Form AR-11, or in the accompanying USCIS website instructions, informs customers of the need to provide such separate notification.

A September 2005, DHS IG Report discussed problems relating to applicants who change addresses after applying for benefits.116 The report notes that this problem impacts customers, who lose a place in line and with it a chance at earlier benefits, and USCIS employees, who waste time determining why applicants did not show up for interviews. Similar to the Ombudsman’s recommendation, the IG Report observed that change of address issues can be resolved by USCIS transitioning from paper-based processes to modern electronic, personcentric,

integrated systems."

Edited by SALAM-DEEN

Timeline

thanks for the information. I guess I need to call and ask them.

01/13/2007 - Marriage

01/12/09 - NOA in mail

02/09/09 - touch

12/26/09 - NOA in mail

03/12/10 - Oath Ceremony

Timeline

I mailed my change of address to the USCIS, and I never got a receipt or something that proves I did what the law requires. The second time though, I sent the change of address with a signature required mail (I think it was flat rate mail). You can find out more from the post office. And I got a mail receipt that they received it.

Also, I called the 1800 number for change of address. And they sent me something in the mail for the change of address. However, when I went to the USCIS local office, I found out that my pending application DID NOT SHOW the new address. :huh: so, I had to give them again my new address there.

I suggest you do these three things just to be on the safe side if you have a pending application. If you already got your G card, you could just update your address online.

"...Currently, USCIS requires customers to file Form AR-11, Alien’s Change of Address Card, to comply with the statutory requirement to report any change of address within ten days.114 No receipt is provided to the customer to indicate the AR-11 has been received and/or processed by USCIS, despite the fact that the customer can be held criminally liable and removed from the United States for failing to file the AR-11.115 Many USCIS customers presume that by filing Form AR-11 and complying with the statutory requirement, they are updating their address in all records retained by USCIS. However, USCIS does not use Form AR-11 to update customer addresses in its immigration benefits databases. As a result, customers must notify individual USCIS offices separately. However, no language on Form AR-11, or in the accompanying USCIS website instructions, informs customers of the need to provide such separate notification.

A September 2005, DHS IG Report discussed problems relating to applicants who change addresses after applying for benefits.116 The report notes that this problem impacts customers, who lose a place in line and with it a chance at earlier benefits, and USCIS employees, who waste time determining why applicants did not show up for interviews. Similar to the Ombudsman’s recommendation, the IG Report observed that change of address issues can be resolved by USCIS transitioning from paper-based processes to modern electronic, person centric, integrated systems."

Timeline
thanks for the information. I guess I need to call and ask them.

Have a look at my reviewed post...You may need to get an infopass and ask your local USCIS office to updete your address if you have a pending application with them

Best luck :star:

Filed: Other Timeline

you do not receive a receipt for the AR-11, and it does not update your mailing address on any pending applications.

If you are in the States as a K beneficiary, and/or a marriage based green card, your sponsor spouse *also* needs to change their address with form I-865. This form *does* receive a receipt notice from USCIS, and will update your mailing address on any pending applications/petitions.

divorced - April 2010 moved back to Ontario May 2010 and surrendered green card

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

I sent an AR-11 through snail mail and never got a confirmation.

(Puerto Rico) Luis & Laura (Brazil) K1 JOURNEY
04/11/2006 - Filed I-129F.
09/29/2006 - Visa in hand!

10/15/2006 - POE San Juan
11/15/2006 - MARRIAGE

AOS JOURNEY
01/05/2007 - AOS sent to Chicago.
03/26/2007 - Green Card in hand!

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS JOURNEY
01/26/2009 - Filed I-751.
06/22/2009 - Green Card in hand!

NATURALIZATION JOURNEY
06/26/2014 - N-400 sent to Nebraska
07/02/2014 - NOA
07/24/2014 - Biometrics
10/24/2014 - Interview (approved)

01/16/2015 - Oath Ceremony

*View Complete Timeline

I just had to click on this thread. This is absolutely correct and can cause some really nerve-wracking, time-consuming problems.

I mailed my change of address to the USCIS, and I never got a receipt or something that proves I did what the law requires. The second time though, I sent the change of address with a signature required mail (I think it was flat rate mail). You can find out more from the post office. And I got a mail receipt that they received it.

Also, I called the 1800 number for change of address. And they sent me something in the mail for the change of address. However, when I went to the USCIS local office, I found out that my pending application DID NOT SHOW the new address. :huh: so, I had to give them again my new address there.

I suggest you do these three things just to be on the safe side if you have a pending application. If you already got your G card, you could just update your address online.

"...Currently, USCIS requires customers to file Form AR-11, Alien’s Change of Address Card, to comply with the statutory requirement to report any change of address within ten days.114 No receipt is provided to the customer to indicate the AR-11 has been received and/or processed by USCIS, despite the fact that the customer can be held criminally liable and removed from the United States for failing to file the AR-11.115 Many USCIS customers presume that by filing Form AR-11 and complying with the statutory requirement, they are updating their address in all records retained by USCIS. However, USCIS does not use Form AR-11 to update customer addresses in its immigration benefits databases. As a result, customers must notify individual USCIS offices separately. However, no language on Form AR-11, or in the accompanying USCIS website instructions, informs customers of the need to provide such separate notification.

A September 2005, DHS IG Report discussed problems relating to applicants who change addresses after applying for benefits.116 The report notes that this problem impacts customers, who lose a place in line and with it a chance at earlier benefits, and USCIS employees, who waste time determining why applicants did not show up for interviews. Similar to the Ombudsman’s recommendation, the IG Report observed that change of address issues can be resolved by USCIS transitioning from paper-based processes to modern electronic, person centric, integrated systems."

My husband (UK citizen) and I filed his I-485 in January 2005. Our receipt date was Feb 4, 2005. When we first returned to the US, we lived with my parents for a couple months. The original paperwork was all mailed in with this address. We moved out in March and filed the AR-11 and the I-865. Nothing indicated that this wouldn't update the address we filed with.

We patiently waited, checking the USCIS website frequently for any changes to the case. Nothing except touches. It always said "Your case has been received and is pending".

After applying for a third EAD this February, we called the National Customer Service line. They informed us that the case had been transfered to Tampa - big news to us. So the rep sent a request to Tampa to check the status of the case.

On 3/15/07, we received a letter from Tampa stating that the case had been denied because my husband missed his 5/1/06 interview in Tampa. The address on the letter was my parents address. This next part is where an almost Twilight Zone moment comes into play.

In March of 06, my parents mortgage company, for reasons unknown, submitted a change of address form for my parents. The address they forwarded to was the mortgage company's payoff department in Maryland. At the time, my parents didn't pick up on the lack of mail for several weeks. They were working out of town, doing repairs from Wilma damage. It was arranged with my brother that he would bring the mail in.

At any rate, they discovered this, left a note for the post lady, and she ran a search on the address. It showed the change of address effective date and such. As a result of this, my parents mail has been screwed up for the last year. They're still not getting all of it and have lost ebay purchases and the State denied my mom benefits because they said she'd moved out of Florida.

The Monday following this discovery, my husband and I went up to Tampa for an infopass appointment, taking a letter from my parents explaining the situation, a copy of the post office change of address report, and lots of hope.

We spoke with a very nice immigration officer (who has completely shifted my opinion of the USCIS, btw), who dug our file out of the denials pile and talked to his supervisor. They reopened the case and we should have our interview in the next three months. I almost cried I was so relieved.

The immigration officer gave us a goldenrod sheet of paper to put the correct address on and he put it in the folder - with the statement that he couldn't guarantee that mail would be sent to our correct address. He seemed almost as fed up with things as we were. And even though we'd submitted the change of address online (where I noticed for the first time a note stating that the form doesn't update pending applications), and on the phone, he told us to mail the AR-11 in certified.

In addition, because the renewal EAD that my husband applied for in February is based on a 'technically' denied case (he said it would technically be denied until the interivew), that the renewal EAD would probably be denied as well. So...we've got our fingers crossed that somehow things aren't as connected as they should be and that the EAD gets approved.

Sorry for the long post...but it's taught me a lesson - don't trust the USCIS to update your address.

i dont think the AR-11 changes the address..

if u are doing online there is an extra form to fill out after sending the AR11, that form will change the actual address for your petitions or aos.

or u can call USCIS and tell them ur new address.

March 11- mailed out AOS to chicago

March 31- I-485 touched.

April 3- got letter in mail saying Initial interview on May 15.

interview came way too fast..

approved 2 yr card on july 2007

Feb10 - mailed out I-751 to CSC

Feb20 - did biometrics

waiting waiting waiting for the 10 year card......................................

Timeline

thanks for all the informations.....

@stan K: I did update the change of adress online today as well, which required the case numbers. But one thing made me wondering...

for the question when my stay expires (I put on the date of I-94 which was march 16th)..it would not let me enter this. So I ended up and left

it blank. Am I illegal in the States now? I did put "AOS pending" for the question: "I am in the U.S. as".

01/13/2007 - Marriage

01/12/09 - NOA in mail

02/09/09 - touch

12/26/09 - NOA in mail

03/12/10 - Oath Ceremony

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.