Farik

How can a green card holder change his name?

2 posts in this topic

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Tajikistan
Timeline

My son and I are green card holders. This summer we traveled to my home country, and I decided to change my name and my sons name. I changed my name and they automatically changed my sons name and they gave me and my son new passports with the new names. Now I am facing some issues. First issue: How my son and I are gonna enter the U.S. since our names changed? Or do we have to keep our old passports to enter the US, and then change our names on our green cards once we are in the U.S.? Second issue: Do we have to change our names again in court in the U.S. for the I-90? I just need an advise how to do this name change without facing any problems?

F-2A Visa

PD: Sep 08, 2011

2011-09-04: I-130 Sent
2011-09-08: I-130 NOA1
2012-04-25: I-130 Approved

2012-05-29: NVC Received
2013-01-31: Received DS-3032
2013-01-31: Received AOS Bill
2013-02-06: Pay AOS Bill
2013-02-01: Return DS-3032
2013-02-14: Received IV Bill
2013-02-15: Pay IV Bill

2013-05-12: Sent IV Package

2013-12-17: Sent AOS Package

2014-02-17: Case Completed

2014-04-08: Interview APPROVED :dancing: :dancing: :dancing: (L)

You can take the GC, the old passport, your new passport, and proof of name change (is there any paperwork for this?) to get back in the US. Then you can legally change your name with the courts in the US.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.