Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  

How can a green card holder change his name?

2 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

My son and I are green card holders. This summer we traveled to my home country, and I decided to change my name and my sons name. I changed my name and they automatically changed my sons name and they gave me and my son new passports with the new names. Now I am facing some issues. First issue: How my son and I are gonna enter the U.S. since our names changed? Or do we have to keep our old passports to enter the US, and then change our names on our green cards once we are in the U.S.? Second issue: Do we have to change our names again in court in the U.S. for the I-90? I just need an advise how to do this name change without facing any problems?

F-2A Visa

PD: Sep 08, 2011

2011-09-04: I-130 Sent
2011-09-08: I-130 NOA1
2012-04-25: I-130 Approved

2012-05-29: NVC Received
2013-01-31: Received DS-3032
2013-01-31: Received AOS Bill
2013-02-06: Pay AOS Bill
2013-02-01: Return DS-3032
2013-02-14: Received IV Bill
2013-02-15: Pay IV Bill

2013-05-12: Sent IV Package

2013-12-17: Sent AOS Package

2014-02-17: Case Completed

2014-04-08: Interview APPROVED :dancing: :dancing: :dancing: (L)

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

You can take the GC, the old passport, your new passport, and proof of name change (is there any paperwork for this?) to get back in the US. Then you can legally change your name with the courts in the US.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.