SimonSailor

If you renew your passport after filing DS-260

4 posts in this topic

Hi All,

Got a reply to an email from London InfoUnit - In case anyone else ends up in this situation!

I renewed my passport after I filed my DS-260, but before they changed to the new online appointment booking system for IR1/CR1. So originally when I asked what to do, they told me to just bring both passports and tell the CO.

So, fast forward a few weeks and they launch the new online appointment booking system. I noticed on there that it gives the option to input passport number - BUT it says it MUST match the DS-260 number or it will result in delays returning your passport.

The embassy replied today and confirmed that you should input your new passport number and highlight the error to the CO at the embassy.

Not too much has changed, but they do suggest putting your new passport number in the ais.usvisa-info.com website.

Hope this can be of help to someone!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

When I filled out my DS-260, my passport would have expired before 6 months past my Visa issuance.

So, I got a new passport, and continued to enter the old number for all correspondence.

When I attended my NVC Interview, I brought both passports. They verified the old passport and handed it back. They kept my new passport, and put the Visa in that one.

What I miss most about Canada, in no particular order:

My family!

My friends!

KD!

Hawkins Cheezies!

Poutine!

Lays Ketchup Chips!

What I don't miss:

-40 degree weather

Posting this again since it does answer that question

London website--

I have made an error on the DS-260, what should I do?

If you have made an error when completing the DS-260 you are required to correct the error and re-transmit it if the error concerns the Background and Security questions or passport number. Please contact us through our website as we will be required to unlock your case before you can amend the information. If the error is in the biographic details, you may notify the consular officer on the day of your interview and take no further action.

Source: https://uk.usembassy.gov/visas/immigrant-visa-faqs/visa-processing-and-documents/

It seems you may not be able to go in and correct the passport number without having it unlocked for you. Did you make the correction?

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Posting this again since it does answer that question

London website--

I have made an error on the DS-260, what should I do?

If you have made an error when completing the DS-260 you are required to correct the error and re-transmit it if the error concerns the Background and Security questions or passport number. Please contact us through our website as we will be required to unlock your case before you can amend the information. If the error is in the biographic details, you may notify the consular officer on the day of your interview and take no further action.

Source: https://uk.usembassy.gov/visas/immigrant-visa-faqs/visa-processing-and-documents/

It seems you may not be able to go in and correct the passport number without having it unlocked for you. Did you make the correction?

Nick - my original post was more so intended to be informative rather than a question as I received an answer back from the embassy (just took them a while!).

On the appointment booking website, you're able to update your email address and passport number, and when I asked them about my passport number not matching the DS-260, this is what they said:

"You should enter your new passport number and highlight the discrepancy to the consular officer on the day of your interview."

Like I said, just posting as an informative piece now that I have a definitive answer, rather than seeking advice.

• Ryan H locked this topic

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.