IamIan

My Interview and Result - CR1 Visa

16 posts in this topic

I had my interview a few hours ago. I've just got home so here's a quick review"

First step - security. That was pretty easy, phones are now allowed. He also noticed from the xray that there was a spoon in my rucksack. At this moment, I knew I was in the hands of highly trained security. This was followed by an accurate observation that I had grown a beard since my passport photo. By now, I even began to feel sorry for ISIS.

You then walk around the building. Go inside, hand the girl from TOWIE your passport and your interview letter.

Then walk into this waiting room which I can only describe as a clinically obese version of a Doctors waiting room. There's a huge TV screen which shows numbers and everytime it's time for a new number it goes "PING" and puts which window you should goto. There weren't many people there. And I was the last to arrive for the 1:30 appointments. That's another thing - if your appointment is for 1:30, get there on the earlier side as you'll be seen quicker.

After an hour, "PING" I was called to give in my birth certificate, passport, interview letter, wedding certificate, police certificate, subject access report, courier letter and ds260 confirmation. She did not ask for the newest tax return that NVC wanted, or a new i864, which confused me a tad.

Then I got fingerprinted and sat back down.

After less than an hour, I was sat in the obese waiting room alone. I fell asleep in some weird yoga position where my head was under my armpit and left leg on the chair beside me. Then PING. Interview time.

The interview lady was lovely. Proper warm hearted and lovely conditioned hair (I didn't ask but I am assuming that she uses tre semme deep moisturising).

All she asked me about was where we met, first time we met in person, what we did and what we have done since. It was really easy as I've answered these questions a thousand times in general chit chat with clients and friends.

Then she said "youre approved." I smiled smile and smile so much that I forgot my teeth were English for a second. The interview was less than 5 minutes. And I was in the embassy for less than 2 hours.

The process can exaggerate concerns in your mind, at least it did for me. My first concern one was a conviction and another arrest a few years ago. Immediately she put me at ease and said they weren't a concern. This made answering the questions much simpler. Another one was an admin error on my subject access report giving the wrong place of birth. Again, no issue. And my final concern was forgetting some document so small but delaying the process (for example - if I hadn't have posted an earlier topic here, I would not have known to have taken the ds-260 confirmation). And for this, I have the forum and its members to thank. When I look back at how many forms, documents, fees, stages that are needed to get this visa - today's result fills me with such happiness. The help from this forum - not just on an advice level, but psychologically and seeing others in the exact same situations of missing loved ones... it does make the process that tad more bearable. So thank you all. Especially NichNick for usually been the first person to answer and always with the correct one.

Now, I cannot wait to start our new life in Houston. We already have a lease agreement on a condo and received the contract today too. I will be leaving the UK the day after my passport arrives, so hopefully later next week!

Thanks again all. And any questions, just let me know.

Edited by IamIan

I had my interview a few hours ago. I've just got home so here's a quick review"

First step - security. That was pretty easy, phones are now allowed. He also noticed from the xray that there was a spoon in my rucksack. At this moment, I knew I was in the hands of highly trained security. This was followed by an accurate observation that I had grown a beard since my passport photo. By now, I even began to feel sorry for ISIS.

You then walk around the building. Go inside, hand the girl from TOWIE your passport and your interview letter.

Then walk into this waiting room which I can only describe as a clinically obese version of a Doctors waiting room. There's a huge TV screen which shows numbers and everytime it's time for a new number it goes "PING" and puts which window you should goto. There weren't many people there. And I was the last to arrive for the 1:30 appointments. That's another thing - if your appointment is for 1:30, get there on the earlier side as you'll be seen quicker.

After an hour, "PING" I was called to give in my birth certificate, passport, interview letter, wedding certificate, police certificate, subject access report, courier letter and ds260 confirmation. She did not ask for the newest tax return that NVC wanted, or a new i864, which confused me a tad.

After less than an hour, I was sat in the obese waiting room alone. I fell asleep in some weird yoga position where my head was under my armpit and left leg on the chair beside me. Then PING. Interview time.

The interview lady was lovely. Proper warm hearted and lovely conditioned hair (I didn't ask but I am assuming that she uses tre semme deep moisturising).

All she asked me about was where we met, first time we met in person, what we did and what we have done since. It was really easy as I've answered these questions a thousand times in general chit chat with clients and friends.

Then she said "youre approved." I smiled smile and smile so much that I forgot my teeth were English for a second. The interview was less than 5 minutes. And I was in the embassy for less than 2 hours.

The process can exaggerate concerns in your mind, at least it did for me. My first concern one was a conviction and another arrest a few years ago. Immediately she put me at ease and said they weren't a concern. This made answering the questions much simpler. Another one was an admin error on my subject access report giving the wrong place of birth. Again, no issue. And my final concern was forgetting some document so small but delaying the process (for example - if I hadn't have posted an earlier topic here, I would not have known to have taken the ds-260 confirmation). And for this, I have the forum and its members to thank. When I look back at how many forms, documents, fees, stages that are needed to get this visa - today's result fills me with such happiness. The help from this forum - not just on an advice level, but psychologically and seeing others in the exact same situations of missing loved ones... it does make the process that tad more bearable. So thank you all. Especially NichNick for usually been the first person to answer and always with the correct one.

Now, I cannot wait to start our new life in Houston. We already have a lease agreement on a condo and received the contract today too. I will be leaving the UK the day after my passport arrives, so hopefully later next week!

Great news Ian, Happy for you!

What's the story with financial evidence? Did they ask you for I-864 and tax returns/transcripts? Having a bit of a mare on that one over here! Other than that I think I'm all prepped!

I'm pretty sure I told one or both of you in another thread that you wouldn't need new I-864s. Or tax returns. Didn't reply to Simon today because I thought it was already said before.

Anyway, Ian...congratulations. Thank you for the kind words. You may have to rent an ark instead of a condo. The rain and flooding has been a bit crazy lately. I think we have a reprieve through Thursday then a week of thunderstorms again. We've avoided any flooding but picking a route to Starbucks avoiding roads underwater has been challenging. :P

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Thanks for the review and congratulations! I have been thinking about how I will feel when I finally hear "you're approved" after all these forms and waiting (and fees!).

Enjoy married life together.

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Great news Ian, Happy for you!

What's the story with financial evidence? Did they ask you for I-864 and tax returns/transcripts? Having a bit of a mare on that one over here! Other than that I think I'm all prepped!

NVC asked me to take my latest tax return to the interview, but they didn't ask for it at the interview. Another thing they didn't want were photocopies I made of everything. They also didn't ask for the letter I had from her employer or her wage slips. Nothing at all. Edited by IamIan

NVC asked me to take my latest tax return to the interview, but they didn't ask for it at the interview. Another thing they didn't want were photocopies I made of everything.

Spot on! Thanks for the info mate. Once again, congrats!

hey

CONGRATS lamlan. I bet you already stared to pack. I am so nervous , got my interview on thursday. I did not know that you need a copy of the DS60. That was not mentioned on my letter so I am a bit confused aout that

Yes they ask for it, not the actual ds260, but the confirmation page with the bar code on. It is odd that they don't ask for it on the interview letter, but they do definitely ask for it at the interview.

I got the impression that they more or less have made up their mind even before the interview as to whether to Deny or approve.

Edited by IamIan

Well my visa arrived yesterday morning. My interview was last thing on Monday. So that's basically 3 full working days from interview to receiving visa. Rapid quick. I'm going to be emigrating on Friday!! Wow. The process is a bit like a one day cricket match. Slow start, but gradually getting faster and faster until it's all go in the last over.

Well my visa arrived yesterday morning. My interview was last thing on Monday. So that's basically 3 full working days from interview to receiving visa. Rapid quick. I'm going to be emigrating on Friday!! Wow. The process is a bit like a one day cricket match. Slow start, but gradually getting faster and faster until it's all go in the last over.

Great, congratulations! You're going to have to give up using the cricket analogies though! (although there is a YouTube channel where you can listen to TMS, thank goodness!)

• 2 weeks later...

Lol. I arrived yesterday. I probably had the easiest port of entry ever. There was nobody in line, somebody took me to the office and took my package. Sat me down, looked at my petition, he then looked at me and said "so tell me how you both met." Then just before I answered, he interrupted me and said "ah f**k it, I'm stamping your passport, welcome to America." And that was it.

I've emigrated. And love Texas.

Good luck all, and don't give up faith if you have an application going on. It is so so so so worth it in the end.

Edited by IamIan

Congratulations to you, and welcome to the US! Had a good laugh reading your OP. (I'm a June I-130 filer; my boyfriend will be in your position in about a year, hopefully!)

USCIS

I-130 sent (Phoenix Lockbox): June 04, 2016

NOA1 received: June 10, 2016

Transferred from Nebraska to Texas: October 20, 2016

NOA2 received: December 14, 2016

NVC

Case number assigned: January 06, 2017

Congratulations to you, and welcome to the US! Had a good laugh reading your OP. (I'm a June I-130 filer; my boyfriend will be in your position in about a year, hopefully!)

Boyfriend? I-130 is for a spouse. Not a boyfriend. Have you sent the correct form? You need I-129F for a K-1 fiancé visa if you're not legally married.

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Boyfriend? I-130 is for a spouse. Not a boyfriend. Have you sent the correct form? You need I-129F for a K-1 fiancé visa if you're not legally married.

Correct; I misspoke. He and I were legally married last September because we opted to go with the CR-1 instead of the K1. But it was an elopement ceremony; we want to have a proper proposal and wedding ceremony with our families after we have closed the distance, so right now we are still referring to each other as boyfriend and girlfriend. But yes, legally we are spouses following the path for a CR-1 visa =]

USCIS

I-130 sent (Phoenix Lockbox): June 04, 2016

NOA1 received: June 10, 2016

Transferred from Nebraska to Texas: October 20, 2016

NOA2 received: December 14, 2016

NVC

Case number assigned: January 06, 2017

You should have the visa in well under a year, I filed in early August 2015 and had my interview in early June this year. And that was with a checklist from Nvc, otherwise it would have been done in 8 months overall.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.