Tadhana

Requirements to marry, in the Philippines/adopting her daughter, who's birth father's name does NOT appear on the birth certificate.

26 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

The fastest is the spousal IR/CR-1 visa (for the child IR/CR-2) IF you are living (minimum of 6 months) in the Philippines, you complete a Direct Consulate Filing, whole process can be done in about 60 days from filing the petition to completing the interview.

Next fastest is the Fiancee K-1 visa (child would be a K-2), this has to be filed at USCIS in the States complete process from filing the petition to interview takes about 8-9 months.

The IR/CR-1 filed through USCIS in the states takes closer to a year to process through to the interview.

The best route to get your future wife and her daughter to the states/ adoption is completing whatever visa process suits you. Then once in the USA start the adoption process.

Edited by Hank_

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Filed: Other Timeline

Hi Hank!

I just had a chance to read "this" reply to my query:

You are not correct in regards to the K-1 fiancee visa. You simply list the child in Part 2 of the I-129F and she will be allowed to get a visa along with her mother (much simpler than going the immigrant visa route) and both come to the USA.

You can complete the adoption once in the USA if you so choose.

I want to thank you so much for your follow up. I feel very encouraged to follow

"this" advice & to deviate from our original plan.

You've been most helpful, Philip

Hi

jg121783

You indicated that you have ALREADY married your spouse, IN THE PHILIPPINES.

Do you think it is "BEST" that I do the same; & then, apply for the visas to bring both

my wife & daughter back to America; & THEN, process the adoption of my daughter,

"legally"; or, do you think it's best for me to apply for a fiance' visa & TRY to bring

both of them, here, together & get married, in America???

My fiance's parents are both deceased; &, that is why I do not, under any

circumstances, want to allow our daughter to remain behind, even for a short,

time, no matter the "HOW"; or, what the process will be.

Thank you so much, Philip

The best route to get your future wife and her daughter to the states/ adoption is completing whatever visa process suits you. Then once in the USA start the adoption process.

I agree with Hank. Choose whichever visa suits you and you family and the adoption process should be relatively straight forward no matter which path you take. There are advantages and disadvantages for both visas. The CR1 visa takes longer but your wife and step child will get their green cards as part of the process which will save you some money. With the K1 visa getting a green card is a seperate process but at least you are with your family sooner. My wife and I were going to go the K1 route at first but she wanted to have a wedding with her family there so we decided to go with the CR1 visa. By the way the advantage to getting married in the Philippines is your wedding wil be a lot cheaper as most things are there. But I am sure you already knew that.

One thing that I would suggest at least if you ae going the CR1 route (not exactly sure how it works with the K1 visa) is to put something in your cover letters for the I-130 petitions (you need to file seperate petitions for your wife and step child) stating that you would like to reqest that both cases be processed together. Unless there are any issues your wife and step child should get their visas around the same time if you do this. Also use your wife's married name on everything in regards to the CR1 visa as it will save you some money and trouble down the road.

morfunphil1_zpsoja67jml.jpg

Hi, jg121783.

I sincerely appreciate your AWESOME response! It is extremely informative;

&, after considering all things, will help us to make the best decision, wherein

our case is concerned.

God's favor upon YOUR situation! We are interested in how all goes for you.

I know the feeling of loving a child, like that; &, I thank you for being a Dad

to that young boy!

Most sincerely, Philip

FWIW your spouse will enter on a CR/IR/K-1 visa and your daughter will enter on a IR/CR/K-2 visa.

You may want to explore your state's adoption process to see what is required. Whatever hoops you have to jump through here. I'm sure they will be more straightforward than what be required in the PI.

Good luck in whatever path you take and as you see there are a myriad of people here that either have or are going through the process that are willing to guide you during your journey.

IR-1/CR-1 Visa
Service Center : Vermont Service Center
Consulate : Manila, Philippines
Marriage (if applicable): 2014-05-17
I-130 Sent : 2014-06-23
I-130 NOA1 : 2014-06-25
I-130 RFE : 2014-08-11 (Wanted NSO Marriage Certificate, not LCR)
I-130 RFE Sent : 2014-08-14
I-130 Approved : 2014-08-27
NVC Received : 2014-09-15
Received DS-261 / AOS Bill : 2014-09-17
Pay AOS Bill : 2014-09-17
Submit DS-261 : 2014-09-17
Send AOS Package : 2014-09-19
Receive IV Bill : 2014-10-03
Pay IV Bill : 2014-10-03
Received Interview Letter by E-mail: 2015-03-20 (May 5, 2015)
SLEC completed: 2015-04-22
Visa Approved: 2015-05-05
Visa Issued: 2015-05-15 (221g for no CENOMAR!)

Visa Received: 2015-05-21

POE: Chicago 2015-09-14

GC Received: 2015-11-17

As your fiance daughter, she can bring her to the state under k2 visa as her derevative. Just include her name at 129f form. It's no problem with that. I myself brought my son ( k2 visa) to the state. I just paid our visa fee together ( separate fee each applicant) we went to medical together , separate fee for us too. Attend the interview together. Everything went well. Visa issued after 10 days of interview.

As of adoption it's really good idea to do it at USA than here in philippines. Plus the fact that no father listed to her birth certificate.

Zhucinni & Brass Balls:

I received your very helpful feedback, to my query. It is most appreciated!

The one thing that is consistent is that I ABSOLUTELY must pursue the

adoption of my daughter, IN AMERICA; &, I am so grateful to be at

peace about that.

Not sure exactly what visa process I will use; but, I will research each

of the suggested methods, prior to making a final decision.

ALL OF YOU ARE WONDERFUL!

Thank you so very very much, Philip

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

I agree with Hank. Choose whichever visa suits you and you family and the adoption process should be relatively straight forward no matter which path you take. There are advantages and disadvantages for both visas. The CR1 visa takes longer but your wife and step child will get their green cards as part of the process which will save you some money. With the K1 visa getting a green card is a seperate process but at least you are with your family sooner. My wife and I were going to go the K1 route at first but she wanted to have a wedding with her family there so we decided to go with the CR1 visa. By the way the advantage to getting married in the Philippines is your wedding wil be a lot cheaper as most things are there. But I am sure you already knew that.

One thing that I would suggest at least if you ae going the CR1 route (not exactly sure how it works with the K1 visa) is to put something in your cover letters for the I-130 petitions (you need to file seperate petitions for your wife and step child) stating that you would like to reqest that both cases be processed together. Unless there are any issues your wife and step child should get their visas around the same time if you do this. Also use your wife's married name on everything in regards to the CR1 visa as it will save you some money and trouble down the road.

The IR/CR-1 & 2 process is not cheaper when there is more than one person being petitioned, you have multiple petition fees ++.

With the K-1 there is only one petition fee, the child simply gets listed on the I-129F and is included. As for AOS the fees are reduced for the child.

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Hi, jg121783.

I sincerely appreciate your AWESOME response! It is extremely informative;

&, after considering all things, will help us to make the best decision, wherein

our case is concerned.

God's favor upon YOUR situation! We are interested in how all goes for you.

I know the feeling of loving a child, like that; &, I thank you for being a Dad

to that young boy!

Most sincerely, Philip

I understand what it is like to grow up without a father as my father passed away soon after I was born. I don't think any child should have to go through that and I take my responsibility for my step son very seriously. I finally mailed the I-130 petitions yesterday so now we can get the ball rolling. I would suggest being ahead of the game as far as gathering all the documents you need goes (as much as possible anyways). My wife and I got married in February and we didn't get everything together we needed until last week (partially my fault because I messed up on one of the documents). Some of it is out of your control like the time you will have to wait for your marriage certificate (and other documents from the Philipines government you might need) for example. But if you are prepared you can get things started sooner than we did.

The IR/CR-1 & 2 process is not cheaper when there is more than one person being petitioned, you have multiple petition fees ++.

With the K-1 there is only one petition fee, the child simply gets listed on the I-129F and is included. As for AOS the fees are reduced for the child.

I appologize for the mistake. Good thing there are people here that know more about this stuff than me and can correct me.

morfunphil1_zpsoja67jml.jpg

Hello, again, jg121783.,

I really appreciate your candor & advice. It is so sad, for you, to

have to grow up without a father. I know that YOU will be an

AWESOME father to your son; &, that will be wonderful, for

BOTH of you!

Yes, I will be well prepared. It is the very reason that I'm

gathering this information, now; so, that I can make the

"best" decision, know what is going to be required, the

time & cost involved; &, to ensure that I make the appropriate

plans & set aside enough money to get it done.

You've been quite helpful!

Most appreciated, Philip

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.