jjrbus

Green card and mail forwarding

11 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

JOsephine had her AOS interview sept 26,06 we rieceved the GC March 12th!

I've been very concerned about mail delivery on this. We are having our mail forwarded by the post office. I have not put in a change of address, becuse I am not moving. Just staying out of Buffalo NY for the winter. I am having he mail forwarded to a friends in FL. Where I pick it up as needed. I'm not moving, I am on a long vacation!

The envelope from USCIS in MO had nothing on it speicifying "do not forward" "return to sender" ect. HTH someone.

Edited by jjrbus

Mail from USCIS generally isn't allowed to be forwarded, most likely the Green Card will be returned to sender rather than forwarded to Florida. You are right to be concerned.

Filed: Other Country: Germany
Timeline

That was my experience too. Mail from the USCIS is not forwarded but returned to sender. Sorry

Removal of Conditions Timeline:

03/19/2008 - package sent to TSC, let's hope for the best

03/20/2008 - check cashed

03/26/2008 - case sent to Vermont Service Center

04/17/2008 - Biometrics scheduled

05/19/2008 - received I551 extension stamp via INFOPASS

02/12/2009 - APPROVED

02/21/2009 - GC received...no mistakes...valid until 2019

The post office can and does forward mail from USCIS to another address, if you have made the request at the post office. You might want to call the 1-800 to confirm this as you are being given conflicting information in this thread.

2001 Met

2005 Married

I-485/I-130

12/06/2006-------Mailed I-130/1-485

12/16/2006--------Recieved NOA 1 (I-130 & I-485)

12/18/2006--------Touched I-130/I-485

01/20/2007--------Biometrics

05/10/2007 -- Interview, Approved!

05/22/2007 GREEN CARD arrives!!!

02/2009 - File to lift conditions

I-765

12/14/2006--- Mailed EAD App.

01/20/2007--- Biometrics

02/09/2005-------Sent in request to Congressional office for assistance with expediting EAD.

02/13/2007 -------- EAD Approved!

02/26/2007 - ------EAD received

Removal of Conditions:

05/12/2009 -- Overnighted application by USPS express mail (VSC).

05/14/2009 -- Green Card expired.

05/23/2009 --- Check cleared bank.

05/26/2009 -- Received NOA (NOA date May 15, 2009, guess they aren't deporting me).

05/29/2009- Biometrics Notice date

06/01/2009- Received Biometrics Letter

06/18/2009 - Biometrics

09/23/2009 - date of decision to approve (letter received), just waiting for card. No online updates whatsoever.

The post office can and does forward mail from USCIS to another address, if you have made the request at the post office. You might want to call the 1-800 to confirm this as you are being given conflicting information in this thread.

What makes you so sure about this? Everything I got from USCIS (I have the envelopes here with me) has "Return Service Requested" on it. This means that USPS are not supposed to hold or forward mail. Do you have personal experience that they do forward mail? Do you know of a recent change in policy, such as the one suggested here:

http://209.85.165.104/search?q=cache:GFzlL...;cd=1&gl=us

but as far as I know, not taken up by USCIS? (Note despite what is in that link, I do have a letter from the NBC with that mark on it).

Beware giving someone an answer they want to hear unless you are 100% sure of it Jane.

Edited by dr_lha

You should go talk to your postal clerk about USCIS mail issues. That's my main source of information. As an aside, all my mail from NBC (including EAD a few weeks back and interview letter today), has NOT been marked with "return service requested" or anything remotely like that.

Either way though, the person should call USCIS to notify them of their mail situation and make sure that everything is ok. They won't find a concrete answer here and maybe some mail from USCIS is marked "return service requested" (although I don't think that NBC does this, at least not for the past few months).

Edited by jane2005

2001 Met

2005 Married

I-485/I-130

12/06/2006-------Mailed I-130/1-485

12/16/2006--------Recieved NOA 1 (I-130 & I-485)

12/18/2006--------Touched I-130/I-485

01/20/2007--------Biometrics

05/10/2007 -- Interview, Approved!

05/22/2007 GREEN CARD arrives!!!

02/2009 - File to lift conditions

I-765

12/14/2006--- Mailed EAD App.

01/20/2007--- Biometrics

02/09/2005-------Sent in request to Congressional office for assistance with expediting EAD.

02/13/2007 -------- EAD Approved!

02/26/2007 - ------EAD received

Removal of Conditions:

05/12/2009 -- Overnighted application by USPS express mail (VSC).

05/14/2009 -- Green Card expired.

05/23/2009 --- Check cleared bank.

05/26/2009 -- Received NOA (NOA date May 15, 2009, guess they aren't deporting me).

05/29/2009- Biometrics Notice date

06/01/2009- Received Biometrics Letter

06/18/2009 - Biometrics

09/23/2009 - date of decision to approve (letter received), just waiting for card. No online updates whatsoever.

Filed: Other Timeline

This makes me worry because On March 10 we moved to a new address and at the same time we filled out an application at USPS for change of address I even changed our address at USCIS online. Then March 13 I got email from CRIS that they mailed us a welcome letter. I talked to our postoffice people that we are waiting for an important document from USCIS and they said that they will just forward all mails to our new address.

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

THEY DID FORWARD THE GREEN CARD!!!! What I was trying to say is the USCIS in Missouri does not put "return service requested" " return to sender" or "do not forward" on thier envelopes. I have no experience with any other offices only Missouri. If you are moving and have put a change of address in with the post office and your case is with the missouri USCIS office. Relax it will get to you!! Of couse follow the USCIS address change instructions also.

Just trying to help!

Edited by jjrbus

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

The DAH's Green Card was forwarded by the Post Office. From Texas Service Center, back in 2003.

It can happen. (clearly!)

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide For New Immigrants

Yes, even this last one.. stuff in there that not even your USC knows.....

Here are more links that I love:

Arriving in America, The POE Drill

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

alt.visa.us.marriage-based http://britishexpats.com/ and www.***removed***.com

censored link = *family based immigration* website

Inertia. Is that the Greek god of 'can't be bothered'?

Met, married, immigrated, naturalized.

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

No Deje Piedras Sobre El Pavimento!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.