oliverynice

Co sponsor question, (split topic)

7 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hello Susan:

My daughter as well as yours petitioned her husband on a K1 visa. She is a student living at home and does not make enough to be the only sponsor. Either you or someone else that makes above the 125% poverty guideline will have to be a joint sponsor. I was the joint sponsor for her K1 visa and they are happily married and living at my house until she completes her last College semester and finds a job. For her husbands AOS I am also the joint sponsor and we are just waiting for his employment authorization, advance parole and conditional green card. As you can see we are an exmple of a similar case as yours...it was a long wait for the K 1 visa approval but that is another story. Please do not hesitate to contact me if you have any further questions.

Regards,

L

Hi,

I have been reading through this thread and have to admit this is the first I've seen about the income requirements. Very frustrated I didn't realize this sooner, but your comment is reassuring at least. I am in a similar situation to what your daughter was in and am hoping you could answer a couple of questions. First, here is a quick explanation of my situation:

I (the US based petitioner) am 23, claimed as a dependent on my father's taxes for 2015. I filed my own taxes with an annual income of less than the poverty line. I graduated from school last year and am enrolled to start a Master's program this fall (so will again come in under the poverty line).

I'm fairly confident that my father will agree to co-sponsor my fiance. Though he is a Venezuelan national, he will be going through the US consulate in Canada since that is where he has just finished school and will be working until the K-1 visa goes through.

Now, my question:

At what stage in the game did the question of a co-sponsor come up? Is there a separate form for co-sponsoring alongside the I-134 that must be submitted by the fiance to the consulate? Will my income situation hinder the I-129f petition getting approved? I would like to have as many ducks in a row as possible before he begins his stage of the process so that we can hopefully get him here sooner than later.

Thanks in advance for your help!!

-O

Edited by oliverynice

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Now, my question:

At what stage in the game did the question of a co-sponsor come up? Is there a separate form for co-sponsoring alongside the I-134 that must be submitted by the fiance to the consulate? Will my income situation hinder the I-129f petition getting approved? I would like to have as many ducks in a row as possible before he begins his stage of the process so that we can hopefully get him here sooner than later.

Thanks in advance for your help!!

-O

You will need the I-134 at the K-1 visa interview. The co-sponsor needs to earn enough for their own household size plus the foreign fiance(e). Since the dad claimed you on his taxes, then he will need to include you and your fiance(e) in his household count. Each supplies most recent taxes and proof of current annual income via a letter from employer and recent pay stubs. Some consulates will also want to see proof that the co-sponor is a USC or LPR.

NOTE: Different consulates can have different requirements and processes. This response is to the poster I quoted only, and not about LONDON, which the OP will go through.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Post split off to its own thread. Please don't ask your questions in another members thread. It can cause major confusion to the thread.~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Timeline

You will need the I-134 at the K-1 visa interview. The co-sponsor needs to earn enough for their own household size plus the foreign fiance(e). Since the dad claimed you on his taxes, then he will need to include you and your fiance(e) in his household count. Each supplies most recent taxes and proof of current annual income via a letter from employer and recent pay stubs. Some consulates will also want to see proof that the co-sponor is a USC or LPR.

NOTE: Different consulates can have different requirements and processes. This response is to the poster I quoted only, and not about LONDON, which the OP will go through.

Thank you for your help.

May I ask you to clarify what USC and LPR mean?

Also, I have begun sifting through the USCIS wesbite for forms and instructions for the affadavit of support, etc., but still have not found anything about specifically how to submit a co-sponsor. Could you or someone else please direct me to more specific instructions here? I don't see anything on the I-134 nor the other affadavit of support form re: a co-sponsor.

Thanks again,

O

Timeline

Thank you for your help.

May I ask you to clarify what USC and LPR mean?

Also, I have begun sifting through the USCIS wesbite for forms and instructions for the affadavit of support, etc., but still have not found anything about specifically how to submit a co-sponsor. Could you or someone else please direct me to more specific instructions here? I don't see anything on the I-134 nor the other affadavit of support form re: a co-sponsor.

Thanks again,

O

**I believe I have figured it out. It appears that the form I-1864A should be used to use a co-sponsor on the affadavit of support. Could someone please confirm this?

Thanks

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Two more post split off and added to this thread.~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

**I believe I have figured it out. It appears that the form I-1864A should be used to use a co-sponsor on the affadavit of support. Could someone please confirm this?

Thanks

No, not for the K-1 visa. The I-864/I-864A would be used later, after you are married and filing for AOS.

The I-134 is for the K-1 visa, as I stated earlier. You each provide one. You simply take both with the supporting documentation to the K-1 visa interview. There is no separate submission or special process for using a co-sponsor.

USC = US Citizen

LPR = Lawful Permanent Resident

The I-134 has very vague form instructions. So, even when using the I-134 for the K-1 visa, you should read through the I-864 form instructions to get a better understanding of what you will need. Also, read the instructions from your consulate. Some have details about what financial/support documents they want to see.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.