vanee

Entered the US from Canada while K-1 pending

57 posts in this topic

It sounds like one of the main problems for the OP was not how many times, but length of stay. You are only supposed to be in the US no more than 6 months less a day (I do believe) in a year, hence the border guard making mention of it. Sounds like being prepared helped a lot to convince him.

Right. The length of stay was the main concern, and the secondary concern was that I don't have an employer or a rental lease. I wanted to share the story of how being prepared after being forewarned here made the difference. :)

After I posted the above, I remembered 2 more questions that the border guard asked:

- What nationality is your fiance? [uh, he has to be American to be able to apply for the K-1.]

- What kind of work does he do? [What difference could that make in the decision about whether to let me into the US?]

I just answered the questions, of course. I didn't understand the purpose of those questions, but I did appreciate how polite the border guard was.

I was asked once, in Toronto, what C. did for a living. I'm not sure what the purpose of that question is either, but find it interesting that it gets asked on both sides of the border.

AOS

-

Filed: 8/1/07

NOA1:9/7/07

Biometrics: 9/28/07

EAD/AP: 10/17/07

EAD card ordered again (who knows, maybe we got the two-fer deal): 10/23/-7

Transferred to CSC: 10/26/07

Approved: 11/21/07

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

my advice for people going to the usa while the process is ongoing, I did it monthly to DC for 6 months:

) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3)keep ur response short and to the point, dont tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5)pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isnt going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didnt lie! Refer to #1

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: Other Timeline

They know how often and for how long you visit the US. If you visit often, or stay for long periods, they will become suspicious. If you're ever dragged into secondary, that'll be recorded and will come up every time you cross at later dates.

I used to travel to the US fairly frequently for work, and the company I worked for had an unwritten policy to tell their employees to lie at the border until such time that employee was denied entry, and then, and only then, would they get that employee a proper visa. I was going over every other week for a week or 2 at a time, and finally when I was on my way for yet another trip (this time to a customer site!) they finally got fed up with me and denied me entry. The company had to get me a visa.

HOWEVER, on subsequent trips to the US when I was coming for personal reasons only ie: to visit my boyfriend/fiance/husband, I was allowed entry. Only after being dragged into secondary so they could rifle thru my things to make sure I didn't have any business materials with me. I used to deliberately carry stuff with me that in no way could ever be construed as to be business related. Unless one was employed in the sex trade! :whistle:

After I was laid off from that job, and the visa I had was no longer valid, I came across for an extended holiday and stayed 5 months. My return ticket was dated for 3 months, but I changed it not long after I got here. At that time the border official asked me the purpose of my trip, and how long I'd be staying. I said "extended vacation to spend the winter with my husband" He asked how I intended to finance this extended vacation and I said "I was recently laid off from my job and was given a rather generous severance package". Then he asked me if I had any candy for him (it was the day after Halloween) and when I said he could have some of my Smarties I'd just bought at duty free, he said "enjoy your stay" and off I went to my gate. I never went to secondary.

divorced - April 2010 moved back to Ontario May 2010 and surrendered green card

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

Filed: Timeline
I was asked once, in Toronto, what C. did for a living. I'm not sure what the purpose of that question is either, but find it interesting that it gets asked on both sides of the border.

I was told that it assists in determining a level of trustworthiness. Someone in a respectable position would carry a greater level of trustworthiness than someone who is unemployed or works in a strip club (or careers of that nature).

iagree.gif

Filed: Timeline
Then he asked me if I had any candy for him (it was the day after Halloween) and when I said he could have some of my Smarties I'd just bought at duty free, he said "enjoy your stay" and off I went to my gate. I never went to secondary.

But the important question is..... did he take the Smarties? :lol:

iagree.gif

I was told that it assists in determining a level of trustworthiness. Someone in a respectable position would carry a greater level of trustworthiness than someone who is unemployed or works in a strip club (or careers of that nature).

Right, but C. wasn't the one crossing, I was. So how does knowing his profession tell anything useful about me?

AOS

-

Then he asked me if I had any candy for him (it was the day after Halloween) and when I said he could have some of my Smarties I'd just bought at duty free, he said "enjoy your stay" and off I went to my gate. I never went to secondary.

Thankfully no! I like my Smarties! ;)

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

Timeline

Thankfully no! I like my Smarties! ;)

Do you eat the red ones last?

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

I used to when I was younger, but I've gotten rather impatient in my old age and just eat 'em by the handful :D

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
I used to when I was younger, but I've gotten rather impatient in my old age and just eat 'em by the handful :D

Amen, sister, AMEN. :thumbs:

*Cheryl -- Nova Scotia ....... Jerry -- Oklahoma*

Jan 17, 2014 N-400 submitted

Jan 27, 2014 NOA received and cheque cashed

Feb 13, 2014 Biometrics scheduled

Nov 7, 2014 NOA received and interview scheduled

MAY IS NATIONAL STROKE AWARENESS MONTH
Educate Yourself on the Warning Signs of Stroke -- talk to me, I am a survivor!

"Life is as the little shadow that runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset" ---Crowfoot

The true measure of a society is how those who have treat those who don't.

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

I have yet to try these Smarties. You can bet I will as soon as we can fly home. I can't imagine anything being better than M&M's. :D

Teaching is the essential profession...the one that makes ALL other professions possible - David Haselkorn

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
I have yet to try these Smarties. You can bet I will as soon as we can fly home. I can't imagine anything being better than M&M's. :D

don't shoot me , fellow Canadians but m&ms are better.... :thumbs:

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Timeline

don't shoot me , fellow Canadians but m&ms are better.... :thumbs:

WHAT!! have u been kidnapped and brainwashed!! lol Smarties are the best!!

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

I wouldn't call it trustworthiness per se... One of the key points about entering the US is the need to go back. Someone who had a relatively stable profession such as engineer or accountant, etc. would typically have a job one would want to go back to... a career.... someone who was say, a clerk at a 7-11 doesn't have the same kind of stability and would be more tempted to stay awhile to lay on the beach or something.

Edited by zyggy

Knowledge itself is power - Sir Francis Bacon

I have gone fishing... you can find me by going here http://**removed due to TOS**

Right, I get why they'd ask me MY profession when I am crossing into Canada. I don't get why the Canadians would ask me HIS.

AOS

-

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.