chrisepic

Playing it safe: Legal Marriage

14 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

Well, at first we were going to have a ceremonial wedding as opposed to a civil/ceremonial wedding just so we could get her fiance visa application started sooner, but I have some blotches on my criminal record that are going to be an obsticle, regardless of the fact that I've disclosed this information with my fiancee AND her parents. So in an effort to avoid compromising this process any further, to avoid my fiancee lying at her interview and facing possible bar from the US if we're caught, we are going to play it safe, dispite the longer it will take, and we are going to have a legitamate marriage as well as a ceremony in the Philippines, hopefully in July so long as my father can commit to he $3500 budget for the wedding.

That being said, I also think that us being married will make things better for my circumstances with the criminal history thing- the fact that not only she knows, but she married me knowing, too! That can only help.

It really is unfortunate, the choices we make, not being able to begin anticipating the consequences of our choices and how they will follow us for the rest of our lives! I never thought I would be marrying someone from another country. I never thought I would substantiate a relationship over the internet and telephone. But here I am; here we all are! What an extraordinary story for our children and grand children, huh?

Best of luck to everybody. If one thing is on our side, it definately is the most potent emotion and state of all: love, right? I know I know, such a fluffy sentimental optimist. But I guess, in a world that we have encountered, where computer keys, letters, and digital voices flung half way across the world are more tangible then the actual loved ones themselves, love and optimism is all we have!

TIMELINE: (CR-1)

06/02/06: Introduced

02/23/07: Engaged

08/07/07: Married

11/15/07: I-130 Submitted

1/24/08: Received

3/24/08: APPROVED

04/21/08: Letter from NVC, $70.00 Bill

05/27/08: I-864 Packet Sent

05/30/08: Choice of Agent E-mail Accepted (9 dys)

06/02/08: IV Bill Paid Online

06/05/08: DS-230 Requested

06/02/08: I-864A RFE Generated

06/09/08: DS-230 Received

06/13/08: CASE COMPLETE (7 mo)

08/01/08: HAPPY ANNIVERSARY

08/06/08: Medical: PASSED

08/14/08: Interview: APPROVED!

08/15/08: Visa Pick-up

Filed: Other Timeline
...... but I have some blotches on my criminal record that are going to be an obsticle, regardless of the fact that I've disclosed this information with my fiancee AND her parents. So in an effort to avoid compromising this process any further, to avoid my fiancee lying at her interview and facing possible bar from the US if we're caught.....

I don't understand where the 'blotches on your record' would cause your fiance to lie.............

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

The best way to go through all this process is with honesty and integrity, regardless of mistakes we've made in the past.

Best of luck to both of you and I hope time flies by so you can be together soon. ;)

CR-1

02/05/07 - I-130 sent to NSC

05/03/07 - NOA2

05/10/07 - NVC receives petition, case # assigned

08/08/07 - Case Complete

09/27/07 - Interview, visa granted

10/02/07 - POE

11/16/07 - Received green card and Welcome to America letter in the mail

Removing Conditions

07/06/09 - I-751 sent to CSC

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

10/01/09 - Received 10 year green card

U.S. Citizenship

03/30/11 - N-400 sent via Priority Mail w/ delivery confirmation

05/12/11 - Biometrics

07/20/11 - Interview - passed

07/20/11 - Oath ceremony - same day as interview

Timeline
The best way to go through all this process is with honesty and integrity, regardless of mistakes we've made in the past.

Best of luck to both of you and I hope time flies by so you can be together soon. ;)

Integrity- Amen! Thats exactly what my father said, which of coarse aided my conviction....no pun intended ;)

Timeline
...... but I have some blotches on my criminal record that are going to be an obsticle, regardless of the fact that I've disclosed this information with my fiancee AND her parents. So in an effort to avoid compromising this process any further, to avoid my fiancee lying at her interview and facing possible bar from the US if we're caught.....

I don't understand where the 'blotches on your record' would cause your fiance to lie.............

My criminal record is grounds for severe scrutiny...I wouldn't want to add insult to injury with my fiancee having to lie about our ceremonial wedding in the Philippines during her K-1 visa interview (having her say we're not married in order to continue the K-1 visa application. So we're going the K-3 route

03/12/07 - Decided not to file I-129F for K-3 visa. Going CR-1 route instead.

Just wondering why you decided to go with CR-1? Did you know it might be faster? Thanks, John and Nora

pushbrk shishhhhh back off a little!!!

www.ftknox.info

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Um, but she wouldn't have been lying because you won't be married. If you don't get married, then you aren't married. Party + particular kind of dress does NOT = marriage.

And you're kind vague with the past blotches issue - which is, of course, totally your right. But if the concern is that she'd get to the interview and they'd say "well now, did you know he was convicted of X and Y and Z in year xxxx" - I think the overarching concern is that you wouldn't have told her. Legal marriage doesn't do much to change that.

But best of luck to you both.

I-129F/K1

1-12-07 mailed to CSC

1-22-07 DHS cashes the I-129F check

1-23-07 NOA1 Notice Date

1-26-07 NOA1 arrives in the post

4-25-07 Touched!

4-26-07 Touched again!

5-3-07 NOA2!!! Two approval emails received at 11:36am

5-10-07 Arrived at NVC/5-14-07 Left NVC - London-bound!

5-17-07??? London receives?

5-20-07 Packet 3 mailed

5-26-07 Packet 3 received

5-29-07 Packet 3 returned, few days later than planned due to bank holiday weekend

6-06-07 Medical in London (called to schedule on May 29)

6-11-07 "Medical in file" at Embassy

6-14-07 Resent packet 3 to Embassy after hearing nothing about first try

6-22-07 DOS says "applicant now eligible for interview," ie: they enter p3 into their system

6-25-07 DOS says interview date is August 21

6-28-07 Help from our congressional representative gives us new interview date: July 6

7-06-07 Interview at 9:00 am at the London Embassy - Approved.

7-16-07 Visa delivered after 'security checks' completed

I-129F approved in 111 days; Interview 174 days from filing

Handy numbers:

NVC: (603) 334-0700 - press 1, 5; US State Department: (202) 663-1225 - press 1, 0

*Be afraid or be informed - the choice is yours.*

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Um Chris...It is YOU that have the "blotches" as you put it on your criminal record and YOU are the US citizen, right?

t

Well, at first we were going to have a ceremonial wedding as opposed to a civil/ceremonial wedding just so we could get her fiance visa application started sooner, but I have some blotches on my criminal record that are going to be an obsticle, regardless of the fact that I've disclosed this information with my fiancee AND her parents. So in an effort to avoid compromising this process any further, to avoid my fiancee lying at her interview and facing possible bar from the US if we're caught, we are going to play it safe, dispite the longer it will take, and we are going to have a legitamate marriage as well as a ceremony in the Philippines, hopefully in July so long as my father can commit to he $3500 budget for the wedding.

That being said, I also think that us being married will make things better for my circumstances with the criminal history thing- the fact that not only she knows, but she married me knowing, too! That can only help.

It really is unfortunate, the choices we make, not being able to begin anticipating the consequences of our choices and how they will follow us for the rest of our lives! I never thought I would be marrying someone from another country. I never thought I would substantiate a relationship over the internet and telephone. But here I am; here we all are! What an extraordinary story for our children and grand children, huh?

Best of luck to everybody. If one thing is on our side, it definately is the most potent emotion and state of all: love, right? I know I know, such a fluffy sentimental optimist. But I guess, in a world that we have encountered, where computer keys, letters, and digital voices flung half way across the world are more tangible then the actual loved ones themselves, love and optimism is all we have!

IMBRA?

Um Chris...It is YOU that have the "blotches" as you put it on your criminal record and YOU are the US citizen, right?

t

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
Um, but she wouldn't have been lying because you won't be married. If you don't get married, then you aren't married. Party + particular kind of dress does NOT = marriage.

Agreed with this. You wouldn't be married and no reason for her to lie.

K3 Timeline - 2006-11-20 to 2007-03-19

See the comments section in my timeline for full details of my K3 dates, transfers and touches. Also see my Vancouver consulate review and my POE review.

AOS & EAD Timeline

2007-04-16: I-485 and I-765 sent to Chicago (My AOS/EAD checklist)

2007-04-17: Received at Chicago

2007-04-23: NOA1 date (both)

2007-05-10: Biometrics appointment (both - Biometrics review)

2007-06-05: AOS interview letter date

2007-06-13: AOS interview letter received in mail

2007-07-03: EAD card production ordered

2007-07-07: EAD card received! (yay!)

2007-08-23: AOS interview (Documents / Interview review)

2007-08-23: Green card production ordered!!!

2007-08-24: Welcome notice mailed!

2007-08-27: Green card production ordered again... ?

2007-08-28: Welcome notice received!

2007-09-01: Green card received!

Done with USCIS until May 23, 2009!

• 9 months later...

ahh....the edit thingy doesnt work ......

forget what i said above...

Not sure if marriage is gonna solve the problem of conviction......just admit to it....and have her tell them she knows.....if they happen to ask......

at least your in laws have accepted ya......that makes you way ahead of my situation.

Agreed with this. You wouldn't be married and no reason for her to lie.

quite a few couples over the years have been caught by having a ceremonial (ie: not legally binding) wedding, and petitioned and applied for K1 and were denied because the interviewer deemed they were in fact married. They then had to start all over again by getting legally married and do a K3/CR1.

Legally binding or not, if you show the pictures in the frilly dress, or mention a "ceremony" at a K1 interview, you could be denied.

divorced - April 2010 moved back to Ontario May 2010 and surrendered green card

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

If the Oringinal Poster and his Significant Other believes that their covenant marriage makes them ineligible for a K1 visa, I for one respect their beliefs. It apears that Chris already knows that USCIS requires a contractual marriage to petition for a visa.

Getting the thread back to the original question, it seems that most of the information written is concerning whether the beneficiary has a criminal record. Also, the type of blotches on your criminal record and your age (i.e. under 18) will reflect on your record. Expect delays in your visa journey.

My suggestion is to be prepared and try to take care of the circumstances before the visa may be denied. Check out what waivers you may use and prepare proof of rehabilitation. Most significantly, carefully choose and consult an immigration attorney with experience in this area.

Naturalization

3/23/14 - N400 package sent to Phoenix

3/27/14 - N400 package delivered

4/3/14 - NOA1 receipt date

4/4/14 - check cashed

04/29/14 - biometrics date

07/01/14 - interview date

xx/xx/xx - Oath Ceremony

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.