almaty

Disney introduces its first black princess

55 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline
I'm wondering if it's going to be traditional, 2D animation or CG?

i do not know....i thinking it will be traditonal....but it is a guess

I think Disney put out a press release a while back saying they would no longer be doing any more 2D animation films. I'm sure this would be a computer generated film.

That was the case until John Lasseter (CalArts alumni) took the helm - he has said he wants to bring back full length feature animated films. As long as Disney's steer clear of becoming formulaic and doesn't saturate the theaters with one mediocre animated film after another, I think Lasseter will bring it back to where it was in the early 90's after the success of Little Mermaid.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can see Al Sharpton, Jesse Jackson, and Bill Cosby all in line next to Ray Nagin to buy their tickets for this one.

A black princess story set in New Orleans?

What, are they gonna sell fried chicken and watermelon at the showings?

This is a blatant attempt by a large corporation to extract even more money based on stereotypical perceptions of an impoverished black people in the aftermath of a preposterous blunder of unprecedented proportions.

(If anyone didn't understand that.... don't worry, Jesse Jackson will be saying something like that in 2009 when this movie releases. Thank goodness we'll have Bill O'Reilly to translate in a "fair and balanced" manner.)

Come on, Disney. America isn't the same place it was in the '50s when your lilly-white cartoons were successful. People have moved past all that racially-biased stuff. If you wanna be successful now, you've got to be like all the other big companies, "Para instruciones en Espanol, marque dos." That's the real minority to extract money from! (Nudge-nudge..... they're going to be the majority in 30 years.... they'll have even more money than white folks!)

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

was that necessary?

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

was that necessary?

Why does that strike a nerve, but the movie concept does not?

Was it because it was more overt? Did Disney just kind of sneak it in there?

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Timeline

was that necessary?

it might strike a nerve in regards to racial remarks.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

was that necessary?

So, let me get this straight....

remarks are bad, but making a feature-length movie based on racial stereotypes that's going to be shown TO CHILDREN is acceptable?

Русский форум член.

Timeline

was that necessary?

So, let me get this straight....

remarks are bad, but making a feature-length movie based on racial stereotypes that's going to be shown TO CHILDREN is acceptable?

what racial sterotypes are in the movie that you are referring to? this "...fried chicken and watermelon" as you previously mentioned?

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

A black princess from New Orleans in the aftermath of Katrina.

Why black, why New Orleans, and why now?

It may be subtle.... but it's there.

Русский форум член.

Timeline
A black princess from New Orleans in the aftermath of Katrina.

Why black, why New Orleans, and why now?

It may be subtle.... but it's there.

if you read into it, sure, but new orleans isn't the only place where such live, is it?

new orleans might be the location for various reasons. after all, hollywood has a mind of it's own.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

Sure, but Hollywood also has marketing genius.

Entire movies have been changed to include something that will increase profits. I suspect this movie is one of them, and have a feeling that so will Al Sharpton, Jesse Jackson, and Bill Cosby. Once they suspect it, Ray Nagin will be right there with them.

Русский форум член.

Timeline
Sure, but Hollywood also has marketing genius.

Entire movies have been changed to include something that will increase profits. I suspect this movie is one of them, and have a feeling that so will Al Sharpton, Jesse Jackson, and Bill Cosby. Once they suspect it, Ray Nagin will be right there with them.

which brings us back to the question about this:

I can see Al Sharpton, Jesse Jackson, and Bill Cosby all in line next to Ray Nagin to buy their tickets for this one.

A black princess story set in New Orleans?

are you saying those two are related? that these famous individuals, who are black, require such food?

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

Not at all.

I was merely trying to illustrate that things in America thought by some to be racially-prejudiced, like a movie about a black princess in New Orleans... that happened to be created only AFTER Katrina devestated the city and the subsequent bumbling of the response, sometimes do not catch the attention of folks until a high-profile person is involved.

Remarks like the stereotype that black people like to eat fried chicken and watermelon (which has been widely circulated on shows like Comic View for years, but did not become a major sticking point until Tiger Woods won a PGA event and a white golfer made the same comments) were added to my previous post to add shock-value to a point that was not easily recognizable by the casual observer.

Most people would view this thread and say "oh. Disney is making a movie about a black princess in New Orleans." And white people will say "well, there's another movie I'll have to buy my kids in a few years." Black people will say "it's about time... and I'll have to buy my kids another movie in a few years." And Jesse Jackson will say "this is preposterous that a company as lavishly flamboyant in the movie making business as Disney that has failed for numerous years to make a historically accurate depiction of our collective heritage in the New Orleanses of America that they would now try to bamboozle us in a place like this that we've been flooded out of already, and now they wanna flood back into their pockets our money..... and I'm gonna have to buy my kids another movie."

Without the fried chicken and watermelon remarks, would this thread have even caught your eye? And do you now see the underlying racial overtones? (Or undertones?)

That's all I'm saying. I have no clue whether Al Sharpton or Jesse Jackson like fried chicken or watermelon. I know for a fact that Bill Cosby does, because on his show, Claire (who happens to be the finest TV Mom in history) was always catching him sneaking some in when she wasn't looking. (He has high blood pressure, and shouldn't be eating that stuff!)

Русский форум член.

Timeline
Not at all.

I was merely trying to illustrate that things in America thought by some to be racially-prejudiced, like a movie about a black princess in New Orleans... that happened to be created only AFTER Katrina devestated the city and the subsequent bumbling of the response, sometimes do not catch the attention of folks until a high-profile person is involved.

Remarks like the stereotype that black people like to eat fried chicken and watermelon (which has been widely circulated on shows like Comic View for years, but did not become a major sticking point until Tiger Woods won a PGA event and a white golfer made the same comments) were added to my previous post to add shock-value to a point that was not easily recognizable by the casual observer.

Most people would view this thread and say "oh. Disney is making a movie about a black princess in New Orleans." And white people will say "well, there's another movie I'll have to buy my kids in a few years." Black people will say "it's about time... and I'll have to buy my kids another movie in a few years." And Jesse Jackson will say "this is preposterous that a company as lavishly flamboyant in the movie making business as Disney that has failed for numerous years to make a historically accurate depiction of our collective heritage in the New Orleanses of America that they would now try to bamboozle us in a place like this that we've been flooded out of already, and now they wanna flood back into their pockets our money..... and I'm gonna have to buy my kids another movie."

Without the fried chicken and watermelon remarks, would this thread have even caught your eye? And do you now see the underlying racial overtones? (Or undertones?)

That's all I'm saying. I have no clue whether Al Sharpton or Jesse Jackson like fried chicken or watermelon. I know for a fact that Bill Cosby does, because on his show, Claire (who happens to be the finest TV Mom in history) was always catching him sneaking some in when she wasn't looking. (He has high blood pressure, and shouldn't be eating that stuff!)

all well and good, but i still think you're making more out of it than needs be. for example:

just now, hollywood recognizes new orleans

black leaders will flock to new orleans

the mayor of new orleans will attend this movie

and so on.

what caught my eye was the obvious stereotypes you threw out in your first post. ;)

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

That was the whole intent.

Throw out an obvious stereotype to draw attention to a not so obvious one.

Русский форум член.

Timeline
That was the whole intent.

Throw out an obvious stereotype to draw attention to a not so obvious one.

yet you left out the dismal failure of the local and state government in the katrina mess :whistle:

* ~ * Charles * ~ *