Siam Sam

Visa Interview

17 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Thailand
Timeline

My wife's interview will be next Thursday, April 7. What can she expect? How do these things go? Very formal, or more like a relaxed chat? No hostile atmosphere, I hope. How long does it usually last? My wife is comfortable with English, so it does not matter which language they use. Are there certain topics they focus on more than others? What topics generally come up, for that matter? At 55, I would guess she's older than most of the applicants who go through there.

http://www.visajourney.com/reviews/index.php?cnty=Thailand&cty=&dfilter=5&topic=IR-1%2FCR-1+Visa

Hopefully these help.

Also try the advanced search! :) Best of luck

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline

http://www.visajourney.com/reviews/index.php?cnty=Thailand&cty=&dfilter=5&topic=IR-1%2FCR-1+Visa

Hopefully these help.

Also try the advanced search! :) Best of luck

Thanks. That does.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

From what I can gather from your case. I wouldn't think they would question your marriage, and you will more than meet the financial. Your soft spot is your domicile requirement. I would load up with any proof of intent. In truth, I think you are a "shoe in" and not to worry. Good Luck

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

unless her name or one of her family members name got flagged, then expect to be treated hostile. My wife went through over an hour of brutal questions asked over and over asked slightly different ways followed by advanced processing and requests for our social media friends lists and chat logs. but in all honesty if you are a legit couple you will probably be fine!

Timeline

My wife just finished her interview, and it went well. Just a few questions, no hostility but rather a degree of friendliness. She said once she was called it took about half an hour, and that time was taken up mostly by the interviewer pausing to type in her computer. Two hours total including waiting time before being called, so waiting for maybe 90 minutes and a few questions spread over 30 minutes.

The result was pretty much what we expected -- I have to establish a domicile in the US before the visa can proceed.

Timeline

My wife just finished her interview, and it went well. Just a few questions, no hostility but rather a degree of friendliness. She said once she was called it took about half an hour, and that time was taken up mostly by the interviewer pausing to type in her computer. Two hours total including waiting time before being called, so waiting for maybe 90 minutes and a few questions spread over 30 minutes.

The result was pretty much what we expected -- I have to establish a domicile in the US before the visa can proceed.

Great news, I've been thinking about your interview all morning. Good luck in your move.

Timeline

Thanks. Unfortunately I can't get out of here until July, after my dental work is finished. :(

One other thing I did not include above or in the Packet 4. They told my wife I should show some sort of continued ties to the US after being over here so long, something to show I had not cut my ties to the US completely due to being disgruntled or something like that. Voter registration would work. Now, I grew up in Texas but left there in 1988. Besides Thailand, I've lived in New Mexico and Hawaii since leaving Texas, but back in the 1990s, during an emergency trip to Texas when my father had an aneurysm, I picked up a new Texas driver's license based on the family address, my Hawaiian license having long expired. At the same time, the DMV registered me to vote. My parents are both dead now, and the family manse has long passed into other hands, but I've kept voting in Texas ever since then. Each year I register as is now required, but I don't have a voter-registration card to show. They just keep sending me ballots. I've had several discussions with the voter registrar over the years, and she knows my situation. I'll have to e-mail her and see what she can send me. Of course once I get to Hawaii, I'll register there anew, but I should have something to show I've been voting all this time.

Another thing is W2 forms for my tax returns. I need to show them. But I've been working for Thai companies in Thailand, never an American one, and they've certainly never given me a W2. Each year I file my Thai taxes, then send that form to my accountant, who then files my US taxes for me based on that. W2 forms have never entered into it. The interviewer told my wife I could look them up on the IRS website. I'll take a look on the website, but I'll be surprised if there are any W2 forms for me there. Is there something special the IRS has if I've been working for foreign companies abroad? anyone know?

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline

Forgot to mention one funny incident while my wife was waiting for her interview. One interviewee was a Thai male, his fiancee being an American farang lady. He chatted with my wife beforehand, said he was nervous about the interview since he did not speak good English. Suddenly there came an announcement asking that the person who had left their smartphone on that pedestrian overpass outside speak up. You know the one I mean. It was him. It turns out he did not realize he could leave it with the guards in that room at the entrance and did not have anyone he could leave it with outside -- his fiancee was not there -- so he just left it on that walkway, intending to retrieve it afterward. !!! Well, they have cameras out the wazoo, so they saw him set it down there. They took him away for questioning. My wife did not see him return, but she was interviewed fairly quickly. I suspect he managed to smooth it over since it's doubtful he was a terrorist, just an idjit. Odd that they knew it was him but still asked the person to identify himself. I guess they wanted to see if he would.

Some people.

• 4 months later...
Timeline

Update: I have been back in Hawaii for 2-1/1 weeks now and signed a lease on an apartment in Waikiki. So I have reestablished my domicile. Plus I have opened a local bank account and transferred money to here. My wife will today submit this information and other documents to schedule a second interview. Here's hoping the second time's the charm. (Knock on Formica.)

It would be good if she could arrive by the end of next month, because that's when her physical-exam results expire. Anytime later and she'll have to retake the exam.

Timeline

Good Luck

I am sure the interview will go well as it seemed you had everything covered. She might not even need another interview. We lived out near Phimai and my wife got her PP back in about 5 days.

Timeline

Good Luck

I am sure the interview will go well as it seemed you had everything covered. She might not even need another interview. We lived out near Phimai and my wife got her PP back in about 5 days.

Thanks. Hope everything is going smoothly with you.

Unfortunately, we've got some new problems cropping up. I've reestablished my residency, am in Honolulu right now, but now Immigration wants me to fill out a new I-864. And I guess I'll need to submit a Change of Address form too. Just keeps on keepin' on. :(

Timeline

I am shocked. I really did expect to read good news when I saw you had posted. But like they say disappointment is only equal to expectation. I am really sorry. I do wonder why they didn't inform you earlier that you had to do another I-864.

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline

I am shocked. I really did expect to read good news when I saw you had posted. But like they say disappointment is only equal to expectation. I am really sorry. I do wonder why they didn't inform you earlier that you had to do another I-864.

Well, I have good news now. My wife just called me with the news that her visa has been approved. She'll be here on the 27th ... or by the 27th, as she's also on standby for the weekend before.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.