CALIGEE

HELP !!!! Interview in few days

10 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hello Guys,

My N-400 interview based on marriage is in few days. However the interview letter said I should come with evidence of marriage and birth certificate of spouse among many other things.

My questions:

Do they ask for marriage certificate again and birth at this stage (I haven't read it here that they asked for it in a naturalization interview)?

Or are those generic things they list in the letter for everyone?

Would a colored copies of the marriage and birth certificate suffice. I can't find the original as at today and the court house if far from me.

Thanks.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

You submitted copies (as instructed) with your N 400?

It is wise to bring originals for the interviewing officer to inspect if needed along with a copy if it is needed for your file (things can get misplaced or lost).

That is why the letter asks for these items.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

They can ask for anything they want or they don't ask for anything, and original copies only. At my interview, interviewer didn't ask for anything except my passport.

N400

12/06/2014: Package filed

12/31/2014: Fingerprinted

02/06/2015: In-Line for Interview

04/15/2015: Passed Interview

05/05/2015: Oath letter was sent

05/22/2015: Oath Ceremony

Hello Guys,

My N-400 interview based on marriage is in few days. However the interview letter said I should come with evidence of marriage and birth certificate of spouse among many other things.

My questions:

Do they ask for marriage certificate again and birth at this stage (I haven't read it here that they asked for it in a naturalization interview)?

Or are those generic things they list in the letter for everyone?

Would a colored copies of the marriage and birth certificate suffice. I can't find the original as at today and the court house if far from me.

Thanks.

Answers to questions are case specific and could change in the spur of moment.why even think twice not taking the certs at your last hurdle ? N400 interviews generally goes smooth for everyone. since by this time they have tested you several times and have almost everything that you supplied to them. there is a very easy answer to your question. take originals of your BC, USC's BC, BC of any kids born during the union, Marriage cert. some secondary evidence like you took before your GC interview. i just got interviewed 4 weeks ago and now waiting for my oath letter. The guy did not ask me anything (even though i had it with me just in case) except verifying the info (verbally) i provided in the application. believe me, it will be one of the easiest encounters you will have with a stranger. :goofy:

Answers to questions are case specific and could change in the spur of moment.why even think twice not taking the certs at your last hurdle ? N400 interviews generally goes smooth for everyone. since by this time they have tested you several times and have almost everything that you supplied to them. there is a very easy answer to your question. take originals of your BC, USC's BC, BC of any kids born during the union, Marriage cert. some secondary evidence like you took before your GC interview. i just got interviewed 4 weeks ago and now waiting for my oath letter. The guy did not ask me anything (even though i had it with me just in case) except verifying the info (verbally) i provided in the application. believe me, it will be one of the easiest encounters you will have with a stranger. :goofy:

I fail to understand why you need to bring your BC.

Adjustment of Status from H-1B, Family-Based
07/26/2012 - 10/18/2012: 85 Days from Application Received to GC Received.
Removal of Conditions
07/22/2014 - 11/14/2014: 116 Days from Application Received to GC Received.
Naturalization
02/03/2016 - 05/31/2016 : 119 Days from Application Received to Oath Ceremony.

I am a United States citizen!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

I fail to understand why you need to bring your BC.

The first reason is related to what name they put on your naturalization certificate.

Your legal name is the name recorded on your birth certificate unless it was changed by a name change order or through marriage. The name on your birth certificate, name change order, or marriage certificate is therefore the name that must appear on your naturalization certificate unless you request a name change. However, the birth certificate is usually not looked at or asked for if there isn't a discrepancy in names on other documents. For example, if your name on your Green Card is Alan John Smith and on your Passport it is Alan John Henry Smith, you will be asked for your birth certificate (or a name change certificate) to prove which one is your actual legal name. The birth certificate trumps the GC and the Passport. If there is no such discrepancy, then you probably won't be asked for it, but if you've got it handy, it's certainly better to take it with you than to risk a delay due to an RFE.

The second reason is related to verification of how you got your green card.

As has been explained in several posts, some people get asked about how they got their green cards during the naturalization interview. For instance, those who got their GCs through marriage are asked about their marriages even when applying under the 5 year rule. Similarly (although rarely) employment based GC holders are sometimes asked about their sponsoring employers. Likewise, if you got your GC through a parent, they may ask to see your birth certificate as one last verification of the parental relationship.

There's a lot of repetition in what USCIS asks for, but better be prepared than go home and have to send in documents.

For a review of each step of my N-400 naturalization process, from application to oath ceremony, please click here.

Filed: Timeline

Thanks for the kind responses. They ask that I should come with a copy of spouse's birth certificate if naturalization based on marriage. I was just wondering what they need it for again at this stage when I have passed two hurdles already (Temp GC AND roc). My wife can't find her original birth certificate and we do not want to go through the stress of getting another when we have a colored copy that we think should suffice. Do they ask people to show/present their spouse's birth certificate during the interview? I have not read it any where on this form. Just curious.

Edited by CALIGEE

The first reason is related to what name they put on your naturalization certificate.

Your legal name is the name recorded on your birth certificate unless it was changed by a name change order or through marriage. The name on your birth certificate, name change order, or marriage certificate is therefore the name that must appear on your naturalization certificate unless you request a name change. However, the birth certificate is usually not looked at or asked for if there isn't a discrepancy in names on other documents. For example, if your name on your Green Card is Alan John Smith and on your Passport it is Alan John Henry Smith, you will be asked for your birth certificate (or a name change certificate) to prove which one is your actual legal name. The birth certificate trumps the GC and the Passport. If there is no such discrepancy, then you probably won't be asked for it, but if you've got it handy, it's certainly better to take it with you than to risk a delay due to an RFE.

The second reason is related to verification of how you got your green card.

As has been explained in several posts, some people get asked about how they got their green cards during the naturalization interview. For instance, those who got their GCs through marriage are asked about their marriages even when applying under the 5 year rule. Similarly (although rarely) employment based GC holders are sometimes asked about their sponsoring employers. Likewise, if you got your GC through a parent, they may ask to see your birth certificate as one last verification of the parental relationship.

There's a lot of repetition in what USCIS asks for, but better be prepared than go home and have to send in documents.

There is a discrepancy between my name in my passport and the rest of my documentation, but that is explained by my marriage certificate.

Sometimes I really think this is overkill and over-paranoia just to avoid an RFE. I'm going to have to translate my BC again after having NOT done that since AOS 3 years ago!

Adjustment of Status from H-1B, Family-Based
07/26/2012 - 10/18/2012: 85 Days from Application Received to GC Received.
Removal of Conditions
07/22/2014 - 11/14/2014: 116 Days from Application Received to GC Received.
Naturalization
02/03/2016 - 05/31/2016 : 119 Days from Application Received to Oath Ceremony.

I am a United States citizen!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

There is a discrepancy between my name in my passport and the rest of my documentation, but that is explained by my marriage certificate.

Sometimes I really think this is overkill and over-paranoia just to avoid an RFE. I'm going to have to translate my BC again after having NOT done that since AOS 3 years ago!

If it's a lot of trouble, don't do it.

The marriage certificate is the latest proof of name change you have and so it trumps the birth certificate. If the interviewer insists on the BC, then you can mail it when you rewcive the RFE in the mail or bring it in person if they allow you to do that.

Avoiding an RFE is just a matter of ease... if it's harder to get what they might ask for at this time, you can go in without it. Hopefully they won't ask for it and if they do, you can deal with that situation then.

For a review of each step of my N-400 naturalization process, from application to oath ceremony, please click here.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.