delilah2016

New York AOS filers 2016

570 posts in this topic

Hi all, thought I'd belatedly relay my experience from last week at the interview. It was last Tuesday, May 16th. I think I mentioned here previously but it was the same day as my wife's grad school graduation ceremony - thankfully the ceremony was a full 5 hours after the scheduled interview time so we knew we'd most likely be safe.

What made it nice was that her family was in town for the graduation, so we got to spend the morning before the ceremony with them and take our mind off things. After a hearty late breakfast, we set off for Federal Plaza and arrived outside the building at 12.30pm for our interview at 1.10pm. Security was quick and efficient, and we were up on the 8th floor within 10 minutes of arriving. Checked in at the window and took our seats in a fairly empty waiting room. From memory our number was K28 and as we sat down K24 was called, so we knew we probably didn't have a long wait on our hands.

Right around 1.10, on schedule, our number was called. We were met at the doors by our officer, a nice middle-aged lady who led us back to the office where we would be interviewed. We didn't exchange many pleasantries, it was friendly but still quite formal. As soon as we walked in, we were sworn in and then told to take a seat. The door to the office remained open throughout. 

She asked for our passports and copies of birth certificates first - she actually already had copies in the file of everything except my wife's birth certificate, so she kept our additional copy and gave everything else back to us. I can't fully remember the order but I think she then asked me for my prior EADs and advanced parole documents, all of which I had made copies of. 

While looking through those documents and adding them to the file, she asked me how my wife and I met (without really looking up from the file) and so I told her a brief version of our story. She then asked for any copies of supporting documents - tax returns, bills, leases, photos etc. - all of which we gave to her. At this point she smiled and thanked us for being so organized. While looking at our photos, she asked my wife whether we had met each other's families (we have) and then asked each of us to say each other's parents' & siblings' names. 

At this point - still looking at our supporting documents - she asked me what my favorite thing about my wife was. I laughed because I honestly hadn't expected such an expansive, open-ended question! But I told her that I was initially drawn to her because of our shared sense of humor, but it wasn't until I got to know her that I realized how much we compliment one another, and that she's the kindest person I've ever known, that I learn from her every day. I could sense my wife blushing, and the officer looked up and asked her whether she thought I did a good job of answering the question. We all laughed, and that was probably the moment I felt myself fully relax.

The officer flipped through towards the back of the file asked the routine questions about criminal records, previous marriages etc. and then asked if we still lived at the same address and if I still had the same phone number. Before I knew it, she said (very quickly) "OK, so now I will pass your file on for some security checks, and I will approve it, and in 3 to 4 weeks you will receive a confirmation in the mail about your case," and we thanked her and she led us out. We wished her well and got on the elevator. In all, we were probably there for less than 15 minutes. Almost instantly my wife and I turned to each other and asked if we'd heard everything correctly.

We felt silly for not asking her to repeat whether or not she was definitely approving the case, but we were both pretty sure we had heard the words "approved" in there. I told my wife that in any case we'd know in a few days, that it shouldn't take weeks, and that if there had been any problems they would have come up in the interview. By the time we got home, I already had the email from USCIS saying the case had been updated - case approved! A few hours after that (during my wife's graduation ceremony), another email saying the card was being produced! 

All in all, an unforgettable day and a huge relief after all the months of waiting. Sorry for the excessive detail, please let me know if you have any questions, and good luck to those still waiting! You'll be on the other side soon!

AOS FROM F-1 OPT

July 15th 2016 - Mailed AOS Package (I-485, I-130, I-765, I-131) to Chicago Lockbox
July 18th 2016 - AOS Package Delivered (Day 0)

July 27th 2016 - Email + text notifications + checks cashed (Day 9)

July 29th 2016 - Hard copies of NOA for I-485, I-130, I-765, I-131 (Day 11)
August 10th 2016 - Infopass: Emergency Advance Parole (Approved!) & Biometrics (Day 23)
August 18th 2016 - Traveled home for family emergency (Day 31)

August 28th 2016 - Returned on Emergency Advance Parole (Day 41)

September 6th 2016 - I-485 interview notice sent (Day 51)

September 29th 2016 - EAD Approved (Day 74), no update on MyUSCIS or card received

November 1st 2016 - Service Request for I-765 (Day 106)

November 16th 2016 - New EAD card delivered by USPS (Day 121)

May 16th 2017 - Joint interview, notified of acceptance, card in production (Day 305)

May 19th 2017 - Card mailed (Day 308)

May 21st 2017 - Card received! (Day 310)

ROC (I-751)

March 6th 2019 - Mailed ROC Package (I-751 and Evidence) to Texas Service Center

March 8th 2019 - ROC Package Delivered (Day 0)

March 14th 2019 - Check cashed (Day 6)

March 15th 2019 - NOA arrived (Day 7)
March 29th 2019 - ASC Biometrics Appointment Notice Sent (Day 21)
April 18th 2019 - Biometrics Appointment (Day 41)

Jan 15th 2020 - Notification of case transfer (Day 313) 

March 2nd 2020 - Approved! Notification that card is being produced! (Day 360)

11 minutes ago, auturbine said:

Hi all, thought I'd belatedly relay my experience from last week at the interview. It was last Tuesday, May 16th. I think I mentioned here previously but it was the same day as my wife's grad school graduation ceremony - thankfully the ceremony was a full 5 hours after the scheduled interview time so we knew we'd most likely be safe.

What made it nice was that her family was in town for the graduation, so we got to spend the morning before the ceremony with them and take our mind off things. After a hearty late breakfast, we set off for Federal Plaza and arrived outside the building at 12.30pm for our interview at 1.10pm. Security was quick and efficient, and we were up on the 8th floor within 10 minutes of arriving. Checked in at the window and took our seats in a fairly empty waiting room. From memory our number was K28 and as we sat down K24 was called, so we knew we probably didn't have a long wait on our hands.

Right around 1.10, on schedule, our number was called. We were met at the doors by our officer, a nice middle-aged lady who led us back to the office where we would be interviewed. We didn't exchange many pleasantries, it was friendly but still quite formal. As soon as we walked in, we were sworn in and then told to take a seat. The door to the office remained open throughout. 

She asked for our passports and copies of birth certificates first - she actually already had copies in the file of everything except my wife's birth certificate, so she kept our additional copy and gave everything else back to us. I can't fully remember the order but I think she then asked me for my prior EADs and advanced parole documents, all of which I had made copies of. 

While looking through those documents and adding them to the file, she asked me how my wife and I met (without really looking up from the file) and so I told her a brief version of our story. She then asked for any copies of supporting documents - tax returns, bills, leases, photos etc. - all of which we gave to her. At this point she smiled and thanked us for being so organized. While looking at our photos, she asked my wife whether we had met each other's families (we have) and then asked each of us to say each other's parents' & siblings' names. 

At this point - still looking at our supporting documents - she asked me what my favorite thing about my wife was. I laughed because I honestly hadn't expected such an expansive, open-ended question! But I told her that I was initially drawn to her because of our shared sense of humor, but it wasn't until I got to know her that I realized how much we compliment one another, and that she's the kindest person I've ever known, that I learn from her every day. I could sense my wife blushing, and the officer looked up and asked her whether she thought I did a good job of answering the question. We all laughed, and that was probably the moment I felt myself fully relax.

The officer flipped through towards the back of the file asked the routine questions about criminal records, previous marriages etc. and then asked if we still lived at the same address and if I still had the same phone number. Before I knew it, she said (very quickly) "OK, so now I will pass your file on for some security checks, and I will approve it, and in 3 to 4 weeks you will receive a confirmation in the mail about your case," and we thanked her and she led us out. We wished her well and got on the elevator. In all, we were probably there for less than 15 minutes. Almost instantly my wife and I turned to each other and asked if we'd heard everything correctly.

We felt silly for not asking her to repeat whether or not she was definitely approving the case, but we were both pretty sure we had heard the words "approved" in there. I told my wife that in any case we'd know in a few days, that it shouldn't take weeks, and that if there had been any problems they would have come up in the interview. By the time we got home, I already had the email from USCIS saying the case had been updated - case approved! A few hours after that (during my wife's graduation ceremony), another email saying the card was being produced! 

All in all, an unforgettable day and a huge relief after all the months of waiting. Sorry for the excessive detail, please let me know if you have any questions, and good luck to those still waiting! You'll be on the other side soon!

Sorry???? No thank you for the details.. I am pretty sure everyone appreciates it.  Congratulations to both you and your wife, and for your wife graduating.  I felt as if I were going through all the emotions as you did on that day.. My husband and I share all the emotions with you.. Thanks for sharing!!!

My interview is next week and I hope to share good news also.

AOS Approved in 308 days

Spoiler

Adjusted from Visa B1/B2 via Marriage to USC 

Sent Package July 26th 2016

EAD approved in (87 days)

Received EAD Combo Card (101 days)

Interview May 30th 2017 (308 days) 

Case Approved May 30th 2017 (308 days)

Greencard received June 7th 2017 (316 days)

ROC Approved in 955 Days (time affected by covid office closures)

Spoiler

Sent Package - 5/11/2019 - (0 days)

NOA Date - 5/14/2019  - (3 days) Conditional Greencard with ext expiration date 11/30/2020

Biometrics - 6/18/2019 - (38 days)

Transfer to NBC - 4/20/20 - (345 days)

Transfer back to Vermont Center - 4/21/20 (Never received that letter but USCIS agents over the phone advises this and have no explanation as to why it was transferred nor transferred back) - (346 days)

InfoPass - 11/20/20 (to get 1 year temp I-551 Stamp in Valid Passport) - (556 days)

Case Ready to be scheduled for interview - 1/4/2021 (601 days)

Interview Scheduled on 9/22/2021 for 10/20/2021

Interview Cancelled and Noticed Ordered 9/23/21

Interview Scheduled on 9/26/2021 for 10/28/2021

Interview Cancelled and Noticed Ordered 10/4/2021

Called to get info pass to get second i-551 stamp before it expires in November, They will call back within 2 weeks to schedule infopass - 10/6/21

Infopass scheduled for 10/26/21 and told 10/28/2021 Interview still on. Went to Interview. Told need to call USCIS for another infopass appointment. Emergency Infopass scheduled for 11/2/2021.

Infopass - I-551 Stamp - 11/2/2021

Case Approved January 28 2022 (955 days)

N-400 Application

FO: Atlanta, GA

Filed N-400 Online - 3/4/2022

Biometrics Reuse - 3/4/22 (Service Center NBC)

Interview Scheduled - 9/12/22

Interview Date - 10/19/22

Decision: Decision cannot be made at this time

Application Recommended to be approved and submitted for Quality Review - 10/26/22

Oath Ceremony will be scheduled 10/26/2022

OATH CEREMONY MAILED - 10/27/2022

Checked online Oath Ceremony is - 11/18/2022

Filed: Timeline
On 5/22/2017 at 10:30 AM, EandM said:

Hi guys, long time no post because frankly I had no updates and it was driving me crazy to read the forum. I had to take a little break lol, Anyway we received FINALLY our interview notice for May 31!!!!! So excited, but I have a question: Did anyone else receive a big manila folder when they got their interview date? USCIS sent me a copy of the Affidavit of Support and a copy of the Medical form, as well as instructions of items to bring along to my interview.

did anyone else get this? I'm asking because when I had interview notice mailed out to me in September it was just in a small envelope. 

Finally!!! Congrats and wishing you the best. We didnt get a folder, the notice was just in an regular envelope. Just follow the instructions you should be fine.:)

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Argentina
Timeline
On 5/22/2017 at 10:30 AM, EandM said:

Hi guys, long time no post because frankly I had no updates and it was driving me crazy to read the forum. I had to take a little break lol, Anyway we received FINALLY our interview notice for May 31!!!!! So excited, but I have a question: Did anyone else receive a big manila folder when they got their interview date? USCIS sent me a copy of the Affidavit of Support and a copy of the Medical form, as well as instructions of items to bring along to my interview.

did anyone else get this? I'm asking because when I had interview notice mailed out to me in September it was just in a small envelope. 

Our interview is the 31st too and we also received a large envelope with the same forms. The submitted medical form will expire four days after our interview so guessing that's why they want a new one or they lost the original :). Not sure why they sent a new affidavit of support maybe because the wait between application and interview was so long they figured something changed.

On ‎5‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 4:25 PM, PMRP said:

Our interview is the 31st too and we also received a large envelope with the same forms.

No large envelope here. Just generic check list of docs to bring along in letter size envelope.

Edited by dcgore

AOS Filing:

July 26, 2016 - AOS mailed to Chicago Lock-box.

July 29, 2016 - Packet delivered.

August 1, 2016 - Filling date.

August 31, 2016 - NOA 1.

Sept. 2nd, 2016 - Check cashed.

Sept, 19, 2016 - Biometrics appointment.

June 14, 2017 - AOS interview.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Honduras
Timeline
On 5/23/2017 at 3:42 PM, newyorkaos said:

Finally!!! Congrats and wishing you the best. We didnt get a folder, the notice was just in an regular envelope. Just follow the instructions you should be fine.:)

Thank you!!! Will let you know how it goes!! :)

AOS
Package sent 02/22/2016
Packaged arrived 02/24/2016
NOA1 text and email 03/02/2016
NOA1 hard copies in mail 03/09/2016
Biometrics letter in mail 03/18/2016
Biometrics appointment 04/01/2016
EAD approval e-mail 04/20/2016 - I-797 notice received 04/25/2016
EAD card mailed on 04/22/2016 - Card received in mail 04/26/2016
Contacted congressman's office about case - 09/09/2016
Interview letter in mail - 09/16/2016, cancelled 9/23/2016

EAD renewal package sent - 01/10/2017

Package arrived on - 01/13/2017

Infopass Appointment (no movement on case since September) - 4/3/17 - No apt # in notice sent out in February (we never received this letter), told we will be rescheduled manually

EAD renewal approved and mailed out - 04/20/17

New EAD received - 4/28/17

New interview notice received - 5/4/17

I-485 Interview (Finally!) - 5/31/17

I-485 Approved - 5/31/17

Timeline
On 5/23/2017 at 4:25 PM, PMRP said:

Our interview is the 31st too and we also received a large envelope with the same forms. The submitted medical form will expire four days after our interview so guessing that's why they want a new one or they lost the original :). Not sure why they sent a new affidavit of support maybe because the wait between application and interview was so long they figured something changed.

Oh wow! That's good to hear. When did you apply? I'm a February 2016 filer, so they did take forever to send out my interview notice. 

AOS
Package sent 02/22/2016

Infopass Appointment (no movement on case since September) - 4/3/17 - No apt # in notice sent out in February (we never received this letter), told we will be rescheduled manually

I-485 Approved - 5/31/17

55 minutes ago, EandM said:

Oh wow! That's good to hear. When did you apply? I'm a February 2016 filer, so they did take forever to send out my interview notice. 

I am so sorry for you guys and everyone who had to wait months after the pending aos anniversary but I'm glad at how relieved you all must be. and cant wait for us all to share experiences.. :) guys... its less than a week now... :) 5 more days... and i think 6 more days for you right? :D

AOS Approved in 308 days

Spoiler

Spoiler

NOA Date - 5/14/2019  - (3 days) Conditional Greencard with ext expiration date 11/30/2020

Transfer back to Vermont Center - 4/21/20 (Never received that letter but USCIS agents over the phone advises this and have no explanation as to why it was transferred nor transferred back) - (346 days)

InfoPass - 11/20/20 (to get 1 year temp I-551 Stamp in Valid Passport) - (556 days)

Called to get info pass to get second i-551 stamp before it expires in November, They will call back within 2 weeks to schedule infopass - 10/6/21

Infopass scheduled for 10/26/21 and told 10/28/2021 Interview still on. Went to Interview. Told need to call USCIS for another infopass appointment. Emergency Infopass scheduled for 11/2/2021.

N-400 Application

Application Recommended to be approved and submitted for Quality Review - 10/26/22

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Hi fellow New Yorkers. For persons who have gotten interview dates which months did some of you guys apply in. My priority date is December 12, 2016

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Argentina
Timeline
5 minutes ago, Bronxnyc said:

Hi fellow New Yorkers. For persons who have gotten interview dates which months did some of you guys apply in. My priority date is December 12, 2016

You'll probably have a long wait ahead. We filed June 8, 2016 and we have our interview tomorrow, almost a year later. Others have had more of a 10/11 month wait though. 

13 minutes ago, Bronxnyc said:

Expect about a 10 month wait for your interview date from your priority date. 

Edited by dcgore

AOS Filing:

July 26, 2016 - AOS mailed to Chicago Lock-box.

July 29, 2016 - Packet delivered.

August 1, 2016 - Filling date.

August 31, 2016 - NOA 1.

Sept. 2nd, 2016 - Check cashed.

Sept, 19, 2016 - Biometrics appointment.

June 14, 2017 - AOS interview.

12 hours ago, Bronxnyc said:

wa gwarn.. :) count 10 months from your PD...

I'm July 26 2016, my interview was today at 1.30pm...  (Was told it would be put on hold for security check and that it would take up to 120 days, was annoyed but then went to eat and then I get email notifications, and for some reason no text messages.. but the i-485 Case approved, and card ordered, the I-130 is still case received .. strange will review my interview soon)

AOS Approved in 308 days

Spoiler

Spoiler

N-400 Application

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Jamaica
Timeline
16 hours ago, Nipperswife said:

wa gwarn.. :) count 10 months from your PD...

I'm July 26 2016, my interview was today at 1.30pm...  (Was told it would be put on hold for security check and that it would take up to 120 days, was annoyed but then went to eat and then I get email notifications, and for some reason no text messages.. but the i-485 Case approved, and card ordered, the I-130 is still case received .. strange will review my interview soon)

Congrats 💃💃💃💃💃🍷🍷🍷🍷🍷🥂🥂🥂🥂🥂🥂🥂. So I guess no interview for me till around October or November then 😢😢😢😢

Timeline

we had our interview today at 10:45 at federal plaza. At 5 pm we received email saying "document/card in production". Does this mean what I think it means?!?!

AOS
Package sent 02/22/2016

I-485 Approved - 5/31/17

6 hours ago, Bronxnyc said:

Congrats 💃💃💃💃💃🍷🍷🍷🍷🍷🥂🥂🥂🥂🥂🥂🥂. So I guess no interview for me till around October or November then 😢😢😢😢

thank you thank you... yea..  so u can sit back relax and dont worry yourself until then

AOS Approved in 308 days

Spoiler

Spoiler

N-400 Application

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.