Jamie06

Proof Of Income For K1 Visa?

8 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Australia
Timeline

hey guys my partner and i both live in Australia (she is a US citizen) we are looking at applying for the K1 or CR1 visa but just need something clarified. If we both work here in Australia and can we show income for the K1 visa? i know the CR1 a family member i believe can sponsor you? But haven't seen that with the K1 visa?

Thanks

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

hey guys my partner and i both live in Australia (she is a US citizen) we are looking at applying for the K1 or CR1 visa but just need something clarified. If we both work here in Australia and can we show income for the K1 visa? i know the CR1 a family member i believe can sponsor you? But haven't seen that with the K1 visa?

Thanks

It has to be income that would continue in the USA

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Check to see if Sydney takes joint sponsors for the K1. Most will.

FWIW, having done a K1 I would never do it again. The spouse visa makes life a lot better once you enter the US. No months of downtime for the immigrant ( not able to work, enroll in some schools, and other assorted annoyances) plus no Adjustment of Status filing after the wedding ($1000+) with all the accompanying paperwork.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: Country: Australia
Timeline

HI Jamie, is your partners current job continuing in the US or does she already have a job lined up? If so, she can use that as income BUT needs a letter from employer advising of the situation. The USCIS doesn't care at all about any income unless it's USD. You can also use US assets to offset missing income.

I'm in the same boat - I'm the USC living in Australia with partner. My current job will be continuing in US so I'm getting my boss to write a letter. K1 visa interview is scheduled but we haven't got there yet. If they reject the letter I'll get my cousin to co-sponsor me.

IF you don't have the income then she can ask a relative who's earning above the poverty line (around $20,000 USD) to co-sponsor her. The USC must fill out the affidavit of support, regardless of whether they are earning US income. If her income isn't enough then a co-sponsor will cover it.

Keep in mind, you'll have to do 2 affidavits - one is for the K1 visa which isn't legally binding, just to convince the USCIS that you won't become a public charge. The second affidavit is when applying for AOS (after marriage) and IS legally binding - so if you get a co-sponsor they are legally responsible for your debt etc.

Timeline

IF you don't have the income then she can ask a relative who's earning above the poverty line (around $20,000 USD) to co-sponsor her. The USC must fill out the affidavit of support, regardless of whether they are earning US income. If her income isn't enough then a co-sponsor will cover it.

Keep in mind, you'll have to do 2 affidavits - one is for the K1 visa which isn't legally binding, just to convince the USCIS that you won't become a public charge. The second affidavit is when applying for AOS (after marriage) and IS legally binding - so if you get a co-sponsor they are legally responsible for your debt etc.

Neither of our jobs will be continuing over there. So just to clarify even if she's not working she still has to fill out the form? I think we will get either her dad or mom as the sponsor. Thanks very much!

Timeline

Neither of our jobs will be continuing over there. So just to clarify even if she's not working she still has to fill out the form? I think we will get either her dad or mom as the sponsor. Thanks very much!

Yep, your partner is sponsoring you as she filled out the petition, no one else can sponsor you. It just means she will complete the affidavit with $0 for income. She can get a co-sponsor, which you said will be her mom or dad, so they will have to complete the relevant forms and provide proof of income and tax documents etc. As far as I know, you can only have 1 co-sponsor, so make sure they meet the minimum income requirements.

Timeline

Yep, your partner is sponsoring you as she filled out the petition, no one else can sponsor you. It just means she will complete the affidavit with $0 for income. She can get a co-sponsor, which you said will be her mom or dad, so they will have to complete the relevant forms and provide proof of income and tax documents etc. As far as I know, you can only have 1 co-sponsor, so make sure they meet the minimum income requirements.

Thank you very much, yeah we will probably use her Mom as she is a Nurse. Do they see it as a negative if you need a Co Sponsor?

Timeline

Thank you very much, yeah we will probably use her Mom as she is a Nurse. Do they see it as a negative if you need a Co Sponsor?

I've heard it's up to the embassy to decide if they are OK with you using a co-sponsor, and some embassies in certain countries will deny you. HOWEVER, all the stories I've read so far (especially for Australia) - everyone has been approved with a co-sponsor, so can't see it being a problem. Not much of an answer but it's all I know :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.