1,298 posts in this topic

I've just thought.....are you Male or Female? It's only males that have to sign up for selective service, so if you're female you need not worry about that part.

i am a male ))) ,VJ account belongs to my wife !!! I do think they are sending standard mails to everyone ,but in interview they gonna look it up specifically,i think i am good too ,cause of my age !!! Thanks again Angelus71 !!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

i am a male ))) ,VJ account belongs to my wife !!! I do think they are sending standard mails to everyone ,but in interview they gonna look it up specifically,i think i am good too ,cause of my age !!! Thanks again Angelus71 !!!

My interview letter also mentioned proof of selective service registration. When we got to that part of the interview, my interviewer asked me how old I am (I'm over 31) and then said something like, "So this doesn't apply to you" and moved on.

For a review of each step of my N-400 naturalization process, from application to oath ceremony, please click here.

My interview letter also mentioned proof of selective service registration. When we got to that part of the interview, my interviewer asked me how old I am (I'm over 31) and then said something like, "So this doesn't apply to you" and moved on.

I found this on a law site....

if you're a man and between the ages of 18 and 25, you're legally required to register. If you're thinking about applying for citizenship, or there's a chance that you may apply some time before your 32nd birthday, you should register so that you don't jeopardize your chances of becoming a citizen.

Your 32nd birthday is critical because you have to register by the time you're 26 years old, and the USCIS will look back five years. So, if you're 31 at the time you apply and you didn't register, your application may be denied. If you're 32 years old, the USCIS will focus on your conduct from the age of 27 onward, at which age you had no obligation to register.

Naturalization timeline.......

03/25/2016 - N-400 sent to Phoenix AZ
03/28/2016 - N-400 delivered
04/01/2016 - USCIS cashed check
04/08/2016 - NOA received in mail
04/16/2016 - Biometrics appointment received in mail
04/26/2016 - Biometrics done
05/03/2016 - Email & text saying in line for interview
05/03/2016 - Another email & text saying interview scheduled!

05/09/2016 - Interview letter in mail.
06/15/2016 - Interview date.

06/15/2016 - Interview passed!
06/20/2016 - Text message & email saying In line for Oath ceremony.
06/29/2016 - Text message saying oath ceremony letter mailed.
07/02/2016 - Oath Ceremony letter in mail.
07/26/2016 - Oath Ceremony. :joy:
07/26/2016 - Officially a U.S. citizen!! :thumbs:

thanks a lot JimmyHou ,i hope i will not gonna have any troubles regarding SS,thanks a lot again !!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

I found this on a law site....

if you're a man and between the ages of 18 and 25, you're legally required to register. If you're thinking about applying for citizenship, or there's a chance that you may apply some time before your 32nd birthday, you should register so that you don't jeopardize your chances of becoming a citizen.

Your 32nd birthday is critical because you have to register by the time you're 26 years old, and the USCIS will look back five years. So, if you're 31 at the time you apply and you didn't register, your application may be denied. If you're 32 years old, the USCIS will focus on your conduct from the age of 27 onward, at which age you had no obligation to register.

Their reasoning is correct, but their math is wrong :-)

You are required to register for selective service before you turn 26, not while you are still 26. So 5 years from the day you turn 26 is the day you turn 31. Therefore anytime after you turn 31, selective service isn't an issue.

Here's what the USCIS Policy Manual says:

"In general, males must register with Selective Service within 30 days of their 18th birthday but not after reaching 26 years of age."

And

"Applicants Over 31 Years of Age
​The applicant is eligible. This is the case even if the applicant knowingly and willfully failed to register because the applicant’s failure to register would be outside of the statutory period.​"

https://www.uscis.gov/policymanual/HTML/PolicyManual-Volume12-PartD-Chapter7.html#S-B

For a review of each step of my N-400 naturalization process, from application to oath ceremony, please click here.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

https://www.uscis.gov/policymanual/HTML/PolicyManual-Volume12-PartG-Chapter3.html#S-G

Please refer to the link above, which is the USCIS policy manual for n-400 apps. Under G-2, it says a valid and unexpired US passport is fine. If it still bugs you, call and find out. It couldn't hurt. And not that it matters at this point, but wouldn't they just require a copy of the birth certificate? I wasn't aware that USCIS would need the original birth certificate at the pre-interview stage.

I more so meant in regards to that example interview noticed that was posted on here a few days ago. On the list of things to bring to the interview, it says the birth certificate or certificate of citizenship of the American spouse. I'm a little nervous about it now... If I were to call, would it be the field office or the USCIS line?

USC who lived in Manabí, Ecuador with hubby from 2009 - 2013. Hubby became a naturalized American citizen in August 2016. Currently living together in northern Virginia.

For full timeline, see "about me".

Latest Dates

N-400 Filing - 03/14/2016

NOA - 03/15/2016

Biometrics - 04/13/2016

In Line - 05/11/2016

Interview Notice - 06/03/2016

Interview Date - 07/11/2016

Oath - 08/29/2016

I am also in South Florida and had my biometrics over two months ago and no changes since.

Service Center : Lewisville TX Lockbox CIS Office : Hialeah FL Date Filed : 2016-02-27 NOA Date : 2016-03-02 Bio. Appt. : 2016-03-23

GC Date: 11/30/12

Same here. No changes, but my husband called earlier this week and they said it is just due to processing times and that they have everything they need.

Met: 3/4/09

K-1 Visa AOS/EAD/AP
I-129F Sent: 6/22/10 Marriage: 12/17/10
I-129F Signed For: 6/25/10 AOS Packet Sent: 5/4/11
I-129F Received Date: 6/28/10 AOS Packet Signed For: 5/6/11
I-797 NOA1: 7/1/10 NOA: 5/31/11
Check Cleared: 7/7/10 AOS Transfer to CSC: 6/23/11
I-797 NOA1 Hard Copy Received: 7/8/10 EAD Approved: 7/8/11
Touched: 7/8/10 EAD/AP Combo Card Received: 7/16/11
Touched: 7/9/10 AOS Decision: 10/18/11
I-797 NOA2: 7/23/10 AOS Result: APPROVED!
NVC Received: 7/27/10 Card Production Ordered: 10/20/11
I-797 NOA2 Hard Copy Received: 7/30/10
NVC Sent: 8/9/10 (*AP)
CDJ Consulate Received: 8/9/10 ROC (VSC)
Interview Invitation Letter Sent: 9/2/10 I-751 Packet Sent: 7/11/13
Interview Invitation Letter Received: 9/16/10 I-751 Packet Signed For: 7/15/13
Medical Exam: 9/20/10 NOA: 7/15/13
Interview: 9/21/19 Check Cleared: 7/17/13
Interview Result: APPROVED! Biometrics Appointment: 8/14/13
Visa Received: 9/24/10
US Entry: 12/4/10

Filed: Country: Romania
Timeline

Can someone confirm how many days or weeks after the interview that a person usually receives the letter for the oath ceremony?

Hi,

I can't say what the usual case is, but if it helps, I got the online notification that my oath was scheduled today. Yet to receive it in the mail though.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Turkey
Timeline

Hi,

I can't say what the usual case is, but if it helps, I got the online notification that my oath was scheduled today. Yet to receive it in the mail though.

Congrats kris! What is date online status shows for "if you do not receive the mail by..."?

Timeline

Congrats kris! What is date online status shows for "if you do not receive the mail by..."?

Thanks Charmander,

Here's a copy of the notice:

We placed you in line for your oath ceremony and will send you a notice for Receipt Number NBC*###########, with the date, time, and location of your oath ceremony. You should receive your notice within 30 days of its mailing date. Please follow the instructions in the notice. If you move, go to www.uscis.gov/addresschange to give us your new mailing address.

No date was given with the notice.

Edited by kris_hetfield

Timeline

Thanks Charmander,

Here's a copy of the notice:

We placed you in line for your oath ceremony and will send you a notice for Receipt Number NBC*###########, with the date, time, and location of your oath ceremony. You should receive your notice within 30 days of its mailing date. Please follow the instructions in the notice. If you move, go to www.uscis.gov/addresschange to give us your new mailing address.

No date was given with the notice.

Oh ok, that's in line for oath notice. They haven't scheduled one yet. You will get another notice once it is scheduled and on that one they will post if you don't receive the notice by xx/yy/2016, contact us etc etc.

Timeline

Oh ok, that's in line for oath notice. They haven't scheduled one yet. You will get another notice once it is scheduled and on that one they will post if you don't receive the notice by xx/yy/2016, contact us etc etc.

#######, guess I got over-excited and jumped the gun there haha. Oh well...

Timeline

#######, guess I got over-excited and jumped the gun there haha. Oh well...

at least now you know the potential dates in july. Most likely you will get the 7/7 ceremony unless you are a lucky winner for the 7/4.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.