13 posts in this topic

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Egypt
Timeline

thats the situation

my wife was trying to file taxes joint for me and her

but at H&R block they cant pull up my name

so she had to file alone

and they told her that since i didnt made more than 4000$ income per year,( cuz i just worked for 2 month) so i dont have to file

right now the RFE asking for sponser taxes,

do i just send her taxes?

or should be joint taxes?

(20 July 2009) Filed I-751 with waiver for divorce

(25 July 2009) Check Cashed

(22 July 2009) Recived NOA1

(18 Aug 2009) Biomatrics

Filed: Other Country: South Korea
Timeline
thats the situation

so she had to file alone

and they told her that since i didnt made more than 4000$ income per year,( cuz i just worked for 2 month) so i dont have to file

It will help you going forward to be VERY specific with your questions. Based on what you wrote, it is very hard to answer.

WHO IS THE SPONSOR?

I am guessing it is your wife because you would NEVER qualify to sponsor anyone if your current years income is only $4,000.00. Also, I would double check about not having to pay tax since you only made $4,000.00. You still made $4,000.00- call the IRS to verify.

If SHE is sponsoring YOU, she needs to exceed the minimum income amount which is a caluculation and 125% over poverty guidelines. (In most cases it is somewhere over 20k). Also, the sponsor usually has to provide their Federal tax returns for the previous 3 years. Read all the criteria that is required. There is very little room for error.

WHAT ARE YOU FILING FOR- AOS?

The rules are very clear, I would suggest you don't rely on a p/t tax person and hire an attorney or take plenty of time to read what is required. Every form comes with fairly clear directions and a list of what is required. The I864 is clear except it says you can submit the previous years IRS Transcript instead of 3 years returns but I don't think this will fly. Our interview is soon and the paper we need to bring clearly states to bring the 3 previous years tax returns. I was told this document supercedes anything else I was told.

The current tax year's "joint return" would be ideal. '05 '04 '03 might work if you have heavily documented current income/job letter because technically you are not required to file for '06 until April.

The current joint return serves 2 purposes: 1.) It demonstates that your finances are truely co-mingled and 2.) shows your sponsors current income and ability to support.

YOU SEEM A LITTLE CASUAL ABOUT ALL THIS BUT THIS IS SERIOUS BUSINESS AND THEY DENY PEOPLE ALL THE TIME. IF YOU WANT TO PASS, YOU HAD BETTER BE SAFE THAN SORRY

GOOD LUCK!!!

Timeline

okey, u got the point

but listen

my situation is like that

i go try to make tax

and send her taxes and my tax?

or what?

we applying for AOD and EAD

they send us RFE

she is my sponser

we over the 125% proverty line

but i just didnt work too much

she filed already for taxes!

if we didnt make joint one?

is that problem?

(18 Aug 2009) Biomatrics

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

This is the part I don't understand. You have your W2, right? Where were they pulling up your name from, if they had your W2 on their desk?

Technically, if your wife is the only sponsor and she made more than 125% of the poverty guideline last year, your income is not required for the Affidavit of Support. BUT, joint taxes are great proof of bona fide marriage, would have been good if you filed jointly. I do not see why you couldn't file jointly, you must have met some bozo at H&R block...

At this point, for the RFE, I guess, you should just send your wife's tax return, W2's and employment letter (if that's what they're asking for).

Good luck! :)

Filed AOS from F-1
Green Card approved on 01/04/07
Conditions removed 01/29/09

Citizenship Oath 08/23/12

Filed: Other Country: South Korea
Timeline
thats the situation

so she had to file alone

As the others have eluded too, they look at the totality of your documentation. If it is a strong bonofide marriage and she can support you then there probably will not be any problems. Don't get to hung up on the joint return thing- it is not required but a big plus if the other docs are weak. If her current year is over 125%- it really has to be- absolutely submit that, yes...even if it is married seperate. Also, again, do not look to a p/t HR Block person for all your answers- call the IRS- call the 800 for USCIC- the people who work there are very professional and helpful if you don't waste their time and ask well thought out questions.

In the end, it will be what it is...they need to do their job so you need to be very detail oriented. We are planning for the worse- lots of documents, pics, all kinds of financial statements, utilities, etc. I even went out and bought a big file holder tonight- again, we will be PREPARED for the worse but of course hoping for the best. LUCK=OPPORTUNITY+PREPAREDNESS.

Edited by helpneeded

Timeline

is it illegal to file tax seprate while u r married?

(18 Aug 2009) Biomatrics

Timeline

i need really someone answer cuz am sending the RFE now

(18 Aug 2009) Biomatrics

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Peru
Timeline

No, you can file as married filing separately.

is it illegal to file tax seprate while u r married?

this is the way the world ends

not with a bang but a whimper

[ts eliot]

aos timeline:

married: jan 5, 2007

noa 1: march 2nd, 2007

interview @ tampa, fl office: april 26, 2007

green card received: may 5, 2007

removal of conditions timeline:

03/26/2009 - received in VSC

07/20/2009 - card production ordered!

Timeline

fucken idiots of H&R Block they filled my wife as household, cuz am not citizen and they cant pull up my name on there computer even i got fucken social secuirty number

and i didnt file, they didnt put me in tax at all cuz my social secuirty number not working :S

our situation now that the USCIS send us RFE about tax

and i dont know what to do, do i get paper from H&R Block saying that they cant pull my name up?

or having my wife tax as household is no problem?

Also i just worked for 2 months

which i didnt make over 4000$!?

(18 Aug 2009) Biomatrics

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.