Siam Sam

Starting IR-1 Process

32 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Thailand
Timeline

My wife just had her I-130 approved and is now in IR-1 status. The approval date was February 10, the.letter informing us was dated February 18, and we received it on February 23. Now we wait for the Consular Section at the US Embassy to give us further instructions.

How long until we can expect to hear from them? And once we do receive further instructions, how long might it be until the interview?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

**Duplicate thread removed; please do not start multiple threads on the same subject.**

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

From what I have seen here, about a week after you should get the packet 3 if you are DCF. Then she has to get medical and police report. The police report takes about 3 weeks Unless you give them a "tip" (about 3000bht), the they can do it in a day or two. After you send that in along with the form that says you are ready for interview. She gets a date----- I'm am not sure how long that takes. I have seen some go from filing to approved in less than 4 months in Bangkok. I'm glad to see your post as I am about 2 weeks behind you.

Timeline

Apologies for the duplicate thread. Still feeling my way around in here.

From what I have seen here, about a week after you should get the packet 3 if you are DCF. Then she has to get medical and police report. The police report takes about 3 weeks Unless you give them a "tip" (about 3000bht), the they can do it in a day or two. After you send that in along with the form that says you are ready for interview. She gets a date----- I'm am not sure how long that takes. I have seen some go from filing to approved in less than 4 months in Bangkok. I'm glad to see your post as I am about 2 weeks behind you.

Well, that didn't take long after all. We received another letter two days later, yesterday (Thursday), from the Consular Section saying to go to the embassy's website and download the application package. So we did.

Looks like this will be my full-time job in March, wading through this paperwork. And it looks like they're really serious about my having a US address even if they will give me a year to make up for it. Understandable.

But now I cannot leave for Hawaii until July, as I've discovered I need US$3000 worth of dental work that will take four months to complete. And I want to get it done here, because if it's going to cost $3000 in Thailand, I shudder to think what it would cost in the US. I'll start that hopefully next week so it can be finished by the end of June. It's a long-standing issue, 10 years now, that my dentist had hoped would remain stable but which suddenly flared up a couple of weeks ago and will have to be taken care of. Involves removing a bridge and putting in an implant or two.

As for our asset declaration, we found a realtor who'll give us an appraisal on our condo for about 11,000 baht, so that should be done in a couple of weeks. Then we'll start getting serious around May or June about selling.

We're not going to pay the police to speed up the process. Waiting three weeks is fine. She has no criminal record, so it should not take longer than three weeks.

EDIT: The term "DCF" is not in the letter or on the website (although I may have missed it on the website). What is that exactly?

Edited by Siam Sam

Timeline

DCF

Direct Consular Filing. Those that file to "Lockbox" in the states have a much longer wait. You have to be in Thailand 6 months in order to file here. I guess 11,000 isn't much--- sounds like a lot to me. I may be going down that same route with the bridge. I have been nursing mine for the last 5 years. Good luck.

Timeline

"Direct Consular Filing." D'oh! :oops: Of course. I knew that. Keep getting confused with all these terms.

Just finished up and left my office this week and will now concentrate on this IR-1 package. I'm already having some problems with the paperwork. For the Police Clearance Certificate, one of the requirements is a: "Requesting letter from the embassy of the country to which the applicant plans to travel. A notice from the US Embassy regarding your case (i.e. a packet 3 cover letter) can be used for this purpose." I don't know what a "packet 3 cover letter" is. Is it the "Instruction Packet for Immigrant Visa Applicants (Packet 3)" that is downloaded from the embassy website and contains instructions for what is required? Or might it be the Approval Notice for the I-130 that USCIS sent us?

I was also wondering if there is a time limit for filing this once the I-130 is approved. This looks a little complicated, plus there are some documents I'm going to have to obtain from the US, and that may take a little time.

Timeline

Ah yes, that's it. Thanks. Strange, that's not signed. Carries no signature in the signature space at the bottom. Hope Thai officialdom does not object to that.

For the home appraisal, 11,000 baht for it seems to be on the low side. Another place that was recommended to us asked 15,000 baht. An international outfit like Knight Frank or JLL would want much more.

Timeline

I left my company last week to start preparing the move back to the US and work on my wife's visa application, but switching to a Marriage Visa caused some problems for me with Thai Immigration. Finally got that smoothed over today, but it sidetracked me from the wife's application. Now I am back on track and have some more questions.

1. The Medical Examination. The packet lists the hospitals to go to for the exam and even the names of the doctors authorized to perform it. It even gives the cost. But later on in the packet instructions, it says not to jump the gun and schedule the exam too early, as the results are time-sensitive. It sounds like they will send my wife details of when to schedule the exam after she submits this Packet 3. Is that correct? She should not just go take the exam now but rather wait for further instructions in that regard?

2. Thai Police Clearance Certificate. Is this also time-sensitive in the way the Medical Exam is? Or can she go ahead and get that done now? It's going to take three weeks, as we're not going to pay them any extra to speed it up.

3. Police/Foreign Police Records. Under "Police Records," it states: "Each applicant aged 16 years or older must submit a police certificate ... (3) from all other countries where the applicant has resided for at least 12 months." But then in the next paragraph, under "Foreign Police Records," it says: "Each applicant is required to submit a certificate from the appropriate judicial or police authorities from all countries (except for the United States) where the applicant has resided for twelve months or more since attaining the age of sixteen." I repeat: "Except for the United States." Now, my wife lived in the US for 2-1/2 years on a student visa. That's where we met, when we were grad students at the University of Hawaii. So she resided in the US for more than 12 months. But it sounds like if it's the US, she does not have to obtain a police clearance from local authorities in Honolulu. Is that correct?

Thanks again in advance.

Timeline

Hi Sam

I have heard different things about when you CAN get the medical. The visa is linked to the medical which is good for 6 months. So if you get it too soon and the is a problem in getting the visa, say a 5 month delay, the visa you get will only be good for one month. After you send in packet 3, you will get the notice for the interview and packet 4, which is the instructions for the medical. I have been told that the hospital will not do the medical without the cover from packet 4, but others say you can. You are told that if there is a problem with the medical and it will take more time, (more tests). to just call the embassy and re-schedule.

You send in (I believe) a copy of the police report with the packet 3 docs. and bring the report to the interview. On another site, one person said he did not send in a copy with the packet 3, but brought it to the interview because he didn't want to wait the 3 weeks, and didn't have a problem. He claims he went from filing to getting the visa in less than 4 months.

If they know she lived in the States, I think the US will do their own checking of police records.

By the way, I am going in Monday for the police report. I have had to wait for my wife's new passport.

Edited by gradtaai

Timeline

I just checked, you send the original police report and make a copy for yourself. I am going to try and have my wife call the hospital tomorrow to see if they require the appointment letter. She hates talking the phone--- for important matters that is :rolleyes:

Timeline

Thanks for the response. That's very helpful. Someone elsewhere on this Board said the Police Clearance Certificate was good for a year. We've decided to check on that next week sometime. If we can get the "tip" down to Bt1500, then I may pay it. No way I'm paying Bt3000. My wife will go on her own, as the mere presence of a farang often jacks up the price, as I'm sure you know. Let me know how yours goes.

I think we'll wait for further instructions on the Medical Examination before taking steps with that. She has not received many vaccinations in her life. When we visited China nine years ago, she did get a hepatitis-A vaccination for that, but I think that's good for only 10 years. Or maybe she could get a booster to extend it, dunno. Will check. All the other vaccinations on the list, if she did get them, like maybe as a child, there's no record of it anymore. One thing though: She was told by doctors in the past that she did not need a vaccination for hepatitis B, because she was naturally immune. She worked on an AIDS research project 20 years ago and was going to get vaccinated for hepatitis B since she was going to be spending time around at-risk people for her surveys. But the doctors told her no need. That's good, because I think that one is expensive. I was vaccinated for hep B 25 years ago due to my own master's-thesis practicum involving drug abusers. The state of Hawaii paid for my vaccination, because I was working in conjunction with a state health program, but I learned it would have cost I think it was $250 at the time had I paid for it myself. But that was decades ago, and I've since heard stories that the cost has risen astronomically.

One more question, this one regarding the online DS-260 form: Toward the end of the form, there's a section for Social Security number. My wife does have a US Social Security number. She was studying in the US on a scholarship and had to pay US taxes on the value of her scholarship and so was issued a Social Security card. It's your normal card except it carries the notation: "Not Valid for Employment." Okay, all well and good. But here's the thing: The DS-260 asks if she needs a new card issued. I'm thinking the answer could be yes, because the card is in her maiden name, and now she has a different surname, mine, so she'll need a new card with her present surname. Or the answer could be no, because the question could really be asking if she no longer has the physical card in her possession, like maybe she lost it at some point. Does anyone have any thoughts on that?

Meanwhile, we're progressing pretty well. The property appraiser was here this morning checking out our place, and we'll have a report in 7-10 days. Documents I need from stateside should be winging their way here as I type this and should be here maybe next week. I should have all forms filled out by the end of next week. Then we'll just need that police report.

Timeline

Yes, it seems that if a Thai goes in alone the "tip" is 1500, but I wonder if that Thai wife with a farang last name will get the "Thai discount". I too am thinking about paying it at 1500.

From what I have read here and what my wife has read on Thai sites, the only vaccine she will need in her age group (48) is the MMR and the Tdap. She doesn't have any records.There is a hospital near the police station where you can get them for less than 1/2 the price they charge where she has to get the medical, maybe saving a 1000 to give to the police "life improvement fund" ^_^.

I can't answer the SS question, except to say that if she isn't going straight to work, I would wait and work it out with SS when you get to the States. She is allowed to work on her visa alone--- but she may not get paid until she gets one.

Timeline

Thanks. But it's looking more and more like we don't even have to include the Police Clearance Certificate with the Packet 3 submission if it's not ready yet, just take it to the interview. Quite a few couples are saying that's what they did with no problem. If so, then we certainly can afford to wait the regular length of time of three weeks.

I spent some time today on form I-864, the Affidavit of Support. As I've mentioned, our home is in my wife's name, plus she has her pension and some LTFs in her name we can report too. I thought her assets would have to be reported on the separate I-864A, but it looks like if she's my spouse and we have no children or other of her relatives accompanying us, which we don't, then we can include all of that on the regular I-864 and not fool with the I-864A. Is that correct?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.