ajames79

Favourite English word or phrase (or Irish or Scottish ....

172 posts in this topic

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yah..it is can't be arsed! At least that is the way I've always heard it.

Of course I love the Yorkshire accent the best! I am quite biased!

However I am going to ask Chris what he thinks. I think he'd say Gordie...

All You Need Is Love...

*The Beatles*

I am a wife!! Whoa this is weird!

I always say I can't be arsed...Lol can't be "asked", I always thought people were being funny when they said they thought thats what it said :lol:

K-1 visa issued: 12/15/2006

107 days from mailing AOS package to receiving green card! Received 6/27/07 dated 6/20/07

Removing conditions:

mailed 5/22/2009

Recieved at CSC 5/23/2009

Check cashed 5/27/09

NOA date 5/26/09 - still not received

I-551 stamp in passport 6/19/09

Biometrics notice date 6/16/09

Biometrics received 6/20/09

Biometrics apt date 7/9/09

Biometrics cancellation notice 6/27/09

Biometrics apt notice date 6/26 recieved 7/7

Biometrics apt 7/22/09

Touch 7/22/09

Finally able to see online info 7/22/09

Card production email 8/19/09 date ordered 8/18

Recieved approval letter in mail 8/19/09 date 8/13!

Touch 8/19

Email stating approval notice sent 8/24/09

Green card in hand!! 8/24/09

Husband joined army and moved from San Diego to Ft. Benning GA! 8/30/11

Filed N400 based on 5 years of residency 9/12/12

Recieved email notifcation recieved package 9/19/12

Biometrics 10/22/12

Early Biometrics 10/04/12

In line for interview 10/8/12 for 8 days

Interview 11/20/12 PASSED!

msu17 - I also met my husband by way of Michigan State! Although, uh, many more years earlier.

OOOOH!!! When were you there? I graduated in 06

And SORRY, I always heard asked :)

Edited by msu17

Timeline

AOS

Mailed AOS, EAD and AP Sept 11 '07

Recieved NOA1's for all Sept 23 or 24 '07

Bio appt. Oct. 24 '07

EAD/AP approved Nov 26 '07

Got the AP Dec. 3 '07

AOS interview Feb 7th (5 days after the 1 year anniversary of our K1 NOA1!

Stuck in FBI name checks...

Got the GC July '08

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
I've definitly picked up "can't be bothered/can't be asked"

Again, as Lisa pointed out the "can't be asked" thing. It's supposed to be "can't be ARSED"... :lol:

Not when you're saying it in front of either of your mothers it isn't!

I've also noted to my fiance many times that when he says "arsed" there's clearly no R that comes out of his mouth. he says ### just like i say ###. He'll never convince me there's an R in there anywhere.

I-129F/K1

1-12-07 mailed to CSC

1-22-07 DHS cashes the I-129F check

1-23-07 NOA1 Notice Date

1-26-07 NOA1 arrives in the post

4-25-07 Touched!

4-26-07 Touched again!

5-3-07 NOA2!!! Two approval emails received at 11:36am

5-10-07 Arrived at NVC/5-14-07 Left NVC - London-bound!

5-17-07??? London receives?

5-20-07 Packet 3 mailed

5-26-07 Packet 3 received

5-29-07 Packet 3 returned, few days later than planned due to bank holiday weekend

6-06-07 Medical in London (called to schedule on May 29)

6-11-07 "Medical in file" at Embassy

6-14-07 Resent packet 3 to Embassy after hearing nothing about first try

6-22-07 DOS says "applicant now eligible for interview," ie: they enter p3 into their system

6-25-07 DOS says interview date is August 21

6-28-07 Help from our congressional representative gives us new interview date: July 6

7-06-07 Interview at 9:00 am at the London Embassy - Approved.

7-16-07 Visa delivered after 'security checks' completed

I-129F approved in 111 days; Interview 174 days from filing

Handy numbers:

NVC: (603) 334-0700 - press 1, 5; US State Department: (202) 663-1225 - press 1, 0

*Be afraid or be informed - the choice is yours.*

OOOOH!!! When were you there? I graduated in 06

And SORRY, I always heard asked :)

Let's see -- Nirvana was a chart topping band, MSU were big 10 basketball champs and Jud Heathcote was still the coach, Jocundrys, Bilbos and Shooters and Small Planet were still around, and Cedar Fest had still not been outlawed by the authorities.

Yes, the early 90s :( I am old.

Though we met when I was in London on overseas study, he returned to the banks of of the red cedar the following year. Good times!

90day.jpg

I use fancy (As in, want/desire/etc), can't be arsed, bloody, for f*cks sake, having a laugh/was a laugh, lovely.. and, on the more vulgar side, ####, although I appear to say it like the Aussies do (but wikipedia says it was common pronounciation for brits in the past, so there!) I tried for the longest time not to use them, but it just happened. There's plenty of others that slip in on occasion, but those are the ones I can think of using most often.

I actually think I'm partial to scottish accents overall but my guy's a bit of mish mash of posh kentish londonish accents. mancunian is nice too. And I seem to like welsh singers, but then I had a welsh friend who I couldn't understand speaking for the life of me, so no idea what's the deal there.

Edited by jezebelseven
UNST0001.gifbritkit.jpgUNKG0001.gif

I use fancy (As in, want/desire/etc), can't be arsed, bloody, for f*cks sake, having a laugh/was a laugh, lovely.. and, on the more vulgar side, ####, although I appear to say it like the Aussies do (but wikipedia says it was common pronounciation for brits in the past, so there!) I tried for the longest time not to use them, but it just happened. There's plenty of others that slip in on occasion, but those are the ones I can think of using most often.

I actually think I'm partial to scottish accents overall but my guy's a bit of mish mash of posh kentish londonish accents. mancunian is nice too. And I seem to like welsh singers, but then I had a welsh friend who I couldn't understand speaking for the life of me, so no idea what's the deal there.

:innocent: I use 'for f*cks sake' a lot too. In decent company.

Chris uses Bloody Nora..I find it weird. Wonder where it came from? I might have to do some research!

All You Need Is Love...

*The Beatles*

I am a wife!! Whoa this is weird!

I always crack up when I hear someone pronounce "boogie" "boooooogie" (i.e. long "oo" sound). When Boogie Nights came out in the cinemas, there was a lot of giggling from me...

I am also an inveterate user of:

Can't be arsed/can't be bothered (the latter of which drives my mom round the bend)

Ta

What's on the telly

Cup of char

Chalk and cheese

For f***'s sake

Bloody (fill in the blank)

Lovely (especially in the context of "Would you like a cup of tea?" "Ooh, that would be lovely!")

Biccies

Prezzies

Down the pub

And I TOTALLY agree with the thing about Americans who have been over here for a short period of time and come back with atrocious fake British accents. I've been here over a third of my life and I still speak with a fine, broad Connecticut accent, even if my vocab is a bit odd at times and my intonation has changed. I haven't consciously tried to keep it or lose it -- it is what it is.

Don't even get me started on Madge -- does anyone remember when she got laughed offstage when she announced the nominees for the Turner Prize in 2001? Priceless.

larissa-lima-says-who-is-against-the-que

I'm amazed nobody has listed euphemisms for being drunk. Something us Brits do so well. :whistle: OH teaches English and loves hearing these...I'm sure there are 100s of them but these are the ones I use...

Trollied

Bladdered

Sozzled

Pie-eyed

Hammered

Sh*t Faced

Squiffy

Blottoed

Plastered

Rat-arsed (Ratted)

Pissed as a fart

Cabbaged

Met the ole man in January 1998

Jan. 2004: K1 visa issued ~ April 2004: Got on a plane ~ Nov. 2004: GC in my mucky hands ~ Dec. 2006: Received 10 YR GC

September 2008 - US passport delivered!

Filed: Timeline

Here's a funny lil story: when I came home, my mom tried to say 'knackered' but she'd always forget the word. So one day she said 'schnookered' thinking it was 'knackered' (how she lept there, i have no clue, lol) but was the cutest thing...now we use that word all the time.

Edited by LisaD

You #######!

K1

September 15 - 2005: NOA1

October: Waiting

November: Waiting

December: In Security checks

January 2006: Waiting

February: Waiting..Contacted Congress

March 4th: APPROVED

March 17th: NVC posted file to London

March 20th: London Receives file

March 29th: Receive package 3

April 13th: London Receives package

April 19th: Medical - June 13th: INTERVIEW......APPROVED!!!!

June 20th: ARRIVE IN USA

Time taken for whole process 9 Months

~~~~~ * ~~~~~

AOS

October: 13th: Sent off AOS Package

November 3rd: NOA1

November 14th: Snail mail ~ NOA1 ~ Case moved to the CSC for faster processing.

November 14th : CSC has petition for me and my daughter.

December 14th: Biometrics completed.

January 17th: APPROVED AOS!

January 22nd: Green card arrives in the mail:))

Time taken for AOS - 3.5 Months

Finished for 2 years.

dev015pb___.png

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

:thumbs: Oh fun thread!

Found myself using:

What are you on about

taking the piss

for f*cks sake

I slipped one day and called my neighbor a ####### : O

Probably many more I don't realize I use.

I found annoying:

Ta

"bloody" anything

cheers

bar37.gif

Image14.jpg

bar37.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.