Knobby_Wheezer

mostly DS-156 & 1 DS-156K question

6 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

26. How long do you intend to stay in the US?

Assuming I get a K-1 visa, wouldn't that be for the next 30 or 40 years?

What do I put here? N/A?

32. Do you intend to work in the US? (If YES, give name and complete address of US employer)

Well, I am not allowed to work in the US without the EAD.

Is it NO? Is it N/A? Is it YES, but later when I am eligible?---and I have no idea for whom

34. Names and relationships of persons travelling with you.

Do I put my fiancé's name since he hopes to travel with me when I move?

Or, are they looking for people who are already my relatives?

38. bullet 2. Have you ever been refused admission to the US . . . etc?

Since I have to say YES because of lack of proof of ties to Canada, will I be implicated in all the additional fraudulent activities?

I do see that if I answer YES to any of the bulleted items that I will be required to appear in person before a consular officer. Euh? (I just think it's funny considering the circumstances of the visa for which I am applying.)

Since the link for DS-156K is dead, would anyone be able to tell me if the practice out-of-date DS-156K that I have is significantly different in the questions asked?

Previous lists moved to "Story" section

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

The example forms answer your questions nicely.

SEE:

http://www.visajourney.com/examples/Form-DS-156.pdf

http://www.visajourney.com/examples/Form-DS-156K.pdf

:guides:

You can find the DS-156K form here: http://www.visapro.com/Department-State-Forms.asp

Not much changes from version to version of form, the examples here can be used as good guides even though they may be an older version of the form.

Edited by YuAndDan

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I filled mine out according to the example form: http://www.visajourney.com/examples/Form-DS-156.pdf

They're asking specifically about travelling to the U.S. so for question 34, put down NONE if you're the only one immigrating (i.e., you don't have kids coming with you).

For question 38. You will be fine putting down yes. You can explain the lack of ties to the CO during your interview. No cause for concern, happens quite often and won't affect your K1.

That form is used for a variety of different visas, so that's why there is that comment about answering yes and appearing before a consular officer.

K3 Timeline - 2006-11-20 to 2007-03-19

See the comments section in my timeline for full details of my K3 dates, transfers and touches. Also see my Vancouver consulate review and my POE review.

AOS & EAD Timeline

2007-04-16: I-485 and I-765 sent to Chicago (My AOS/EAD checklist)

2007-04-17: Received at Chicago

2007-04-23: NOA1 date (both)

2007-05-10: Biometrics appointment (both - Biometrics review)

2007-06-05: AOS interview letter date

2007-06-13: AOS interview letter received in mail

2007-07-03: EAD card production ordered

2007-07-07: EAD card received! (yay!)

2007-08-23: AOS interview (Documents / Interview review)

2007-08-23: Green card production ordered!!!

2007-08-24: Welcome notice mailed!

2007-08-27: Green card production ordered again... ?

2007-08-28: Welcome notice received!

2007-09-01: Green card received!

Done with USCIS until May 23, 2009!

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

YuAndDan

I had read the guides---January of last year and in September and again in October, November and December and then once again in January of this year. I couldn't remember how to get to the examples either.

Since I had misplaced my paper copies of the samples from the Guides, I searched the forums for the answers and was unable to find them. I had noticed that others had asked specific questions about the numbered items and thought that I would give it a whirl.

But, hey, thanks for the immediately clickable links to the samples that I can access via my profile box (by selecting to read this topic). :)

---------

I had not been able to open the samples for a few hours and I panicked. It turned out that there was a glitch in the Adobe programme on my computer. I went to Adobe and downloaded a patch and things have worked fine since---with Adobe.

Thank you, misa, for the answer about people crossing with me. I really had no idea what they were asking there. :)

I cannot get the DS-156K, though, because the link at the government website doesn't work---it only opens up the DS-156 again. What I was wondering was if it is acceptable to the consulate to fill out the Adobe form that I already have (expires September 30, 2007) and print that---even though it would not have a bar code on it. The instructions that I have inside my pkt3 says to go to a particular website to fill in these forms. That web page doesn't exist anymore. When I fill in the address in the address bar and hit the arrow, I get redirected to another web page. This other web page has clickable links to yet another web page with ALL the fillable forms listed. DS-230 isn't there at all. DS-156K opens DS-156. DS-156 also opens DS-156.

But, I guess I will have to email the consulate again on Monday to find out what they think that I should do.

Thanks for all of your help. It is appreciated. I am very frazzled from the mix up earlier about my packet 3 and the resulting lack of sleep combined with the stress has made me a bit crazy.

Elsewhere I have mentioned that I emailed the US DoS about the DS-156K problem and about the lack of any link at all for the DS-230. I indicated the address at the tops of each of the pages so that they might be able to trace the problem more easily and fix it. Dunno what we're supposed to do in the meantime.

Edited by Knobby_Wheezer

Previous lists moved to "Story" section

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Knobby_Wheezer,

I have those forms downloaded on my pc, PM me if you need them, I will be happy to send them to you.

Don't just open your mouth and prove yourself a fool....put it in writing.

It gets harder the more you know. Because the more you find out, the uglier everything seems.

kodasmall3.jpg

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

If I recall correctly, the DS-156K is not an electronic barcoded form but was in PDF format so you're fine with filling that out in PDF. The DS-156 does need to be filled in electronically with barcode generated.

K3 Timeline - 2006-11-20 to 2007-03-19

See the comments section in my timeline for full details of my K3 dates, transfers and touches. Also see my Vancouver consulate review and my POE review.

AOS & EAD Timeline

2007-04-16: I-485 and I-765 sent to Chicago (My AOS/EAD checklist)

2007-04-17: Received at Chicago

2007-04-23: NOA1 date (both)

2007-05-10: Biometrics appointment (both - Biometrics review)

2007-06-05: AOS interview letter date

2007-06-13: AOS interview letter received in mail

2007-07-03: EAD card production ordered

2007-07-07: EAD card received! (yay!)

2007-08-23: AOS interview (Documents / Interview review)

2007-08-23: Green card production ordered!!!

2007-08-24: Welcome notice mailed!

2007-08-27: Green card production ordered again... ?

2007-08-28: Welcome notice received!

2007-09-01: Green card received!

Done with USCIS until May 23, 2009!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.