Ephesus

Trying to marry a french citizen, don't understand times

32 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline

Okay, so I am filling the I-129f and G-325A form. First, do I need to send in all four pages of G-325A since only two pages apply to us?

I will be having a sponsor since I don't work (I am a student and I also receive SSI). Is this going to be a problem? Should I get a job quickly and keep it, or just use my sponsor (grandmother who makes more than enough money and has a lot of assets).

How long does the application take to process in Vermont? Then how long until she has her meeting? Basically, when can I get her to the US to marry? Is there another fee I can pay to speed things up? Can she be in the US without a visa, then fly back, and fly back to the US once the visa is approved? (I think you can stay in America for 3 months without a visa)

Thanks,

Ephesus

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Read the guides if you havent yet, they are very helpful. I dont know what you mean only 2 pages apply to you since they should all be the same and all 4 are needed. Make sure you have original signatures on the 2 G-325A's and the I 129f. You are lucky you are going through Vermont, they usually take less than a month for approval. Recently one filer was approved in 8 days! From there, time till interview varies and I dont know what the wait is for France. I am doing a co-sponsor as well. Very similar situation, a lot of people cant meet the income requirements so they co-sponsor. You can't expidite this visa. Since she is on the VWP, she can come be with you and then return for the interview/medical etc. She does need to prove ties to France if she comes while the visa is processing since it shows a higher likelyhood of staying. Lots of threads on this. Good luck on filing!

Okay, so I am filling the I-129f and G-325A form. First, do I need to send in all four pages of G-325A since only two pages apply to us?

I will be having a sponsor since I don't work (I am a student and I also receive SSI). Is this going to be a problem? Should I get a job quickly and keep it, or just use my sponsor (grandmother who makes more than enough money and has a lot of assets).

How long does the application take to process in Vermont? Then how long until she has her meeting? Basically, when can I get her to the US to marry? Is there another fee I can pay to speed things up? Can she be in the US without a visa, then fly back, and fly back to the US once the visa is approved? (I think you can stay in America for 3 months without a visa)

Thanks,

Ephesus

Timeline

AOS

Mailed AOS, EAD and AP Sept 11 '07

Recieved NOA1's for all Sept 23 or 24 '07

Bio appt. Oct. 24 '07

EAD/AP approved Nov 26 '07

Got the AP Dec. 3 '07

AOS interview Feb 7th (5 days after the 1 year anniversary of our K1 NOA1!

Stuck in FBI name checks...

Got the GC July '08

Another Frenchie, yaaaaaaay! Welcome! Come join our France/America couples post!

Take a look at my signature, we also went through VSC and Paris embassy. It basically took 3 months til he had his visa in hand. Paris embassy is a cinch - the medical is a breeze, the interview is a piece of cake, no problems no hassles!

Yes, you both need to fill out all 4 pages of the G-325a. :thumbs:

As long as your co-sponsor makes 125% of the poverty guidelines for their household PLUS one more, you'll be fine. Paris requests the I-864 and then takes the I-134, they're sort of confused in that matter. So make sure your sponsor is comfortable filling out BOTH forms. We didn't want the embassy to take the I-864 so when they asked for "financial documents" my fiance played stupid and handed them the I-134, they took it without any problems. In the past at other VJers interviews, they offered both and the embassy chose the I-134. But still, packet 3 specifies they want the I-864, so you'll need to have that at the interview just in case.

There's no fee you could pay to speed up the process. Sure she can come visit on the VWP, she just has to go back for her medical/interview. If she's going to come you may want to get her here before you send out the petition - it's a bit more risky to cross the border with a K1 petition processing. She'd need to bring proof of strong ties to her country (i.e. bills, letter from employer stating the date she'll return, etc.) and even then the border patrol officer COULD turn her away if they decide she doesn't have a good reason NOT to decide to stay here and never leave. So if you want her here during the process (especially if you want to bring her here for 3 months), I suggest bringing her here and then mailing out the petition a little while after she arrives. ;)

I think I got all your questions. Please do come over to our France/America couples post and join the fun. I posted my fiance's medical/interview experiences there, and we'd all be glad to answer any Paris-specific questions that you have. :)

8/10/08:

---seperated---

K-1 highlights (more details in profile):

11/24/06: NOA1 (Day 3)

12/19/06: NOA2 (Day 28)

2/28/07: Interview: approved! (Day 99)

4/15/07: Married, in a noreaster (Day 146)

AOS highlights (more details in profile, too):

6/20/07: AOS, EAD, and AP mailed

6/26/07: NOA1 (Day 6)

7/14/07: Biometrics (Day 24)

7/23/07: Recieved AOS RFE (dated 7/17) for W-2s, mailed them out the next day (Day 33)

7/27/07: RFE response received, processing resumed (Day 37)

8/14/07: AOS transferred to CSC (Day 45)

8/21/07: CSC received/is processing AOS (Day 52)

8/29/07: Welcome notice mailed! (Day 60)

8/31/07: Card production ordered! (Day 62)

9/11/07: Greencard in hand! (Day 73)

Note to self: lifting of conditions: May 25th, 2009

Timeline
Another Frenchie, yaaaaaaay! Welcome! Come join our France/America couples post!

Take a look at my signature, we also went through VSC and Paris embassy. It basically took 3 months til he had his visa in hand. Paris embassy is a cinch - the medical is a breeze, the interview is a piece of cake, no problems no hassles!

Can you tell me about the medical exam?

How do you fill out four pages when there's only two people involved?

As long as your co-sponsor makes 125% of the poverty guidelines for their household PLUS one more, you'll be fine. Paris requests the I-864 and then takes the I-134, they're sort of confused in that matter. So make sure your sponsor is comfortable filling out BOTH forms. We didn't want the embassy to take the I-864 so when they asked for "financial documents" my fiance played stupid and handed them the I-134, they took it without any problems. In the past at other VJers interviews, they offered both and the embassy chose the I-134. But still, packet 3 specifies they want the I-864, so you'll need to have that at the interview just in case.

Thanks.

There's no fee you could pay to speed up the process. Sure she can come visit on the VWP, she just has to go back for her medical/interview. If she's going to come you may want to get her here before you send out the petition - it's a bit more risky to cross the border with a K1 petition processing. She'd need to bring proof of strong ties to her country (i.e. bills, letter from employer stating the date she'll return, etc.) and even then the border patrol officer COULD turn her away if they decide she doesn't have a good reason NOT to decide to stay here and never leave. So if you want her here during the process (especially if you want to bring her here for 3 months), I suggest bringing her here and then mailing out the petition a little while after she arrives. ;)

If it only takes three months, then we don't care. She has to finish university and that ends in June. I just saw on the Vermont page they are processing applications back from August 20th 2006. Why is it saying that and people are getting it in 2-3 months?

I think I got all your questions. Please do come over to our France/America couples post and join the fun. I posted my fiance's medical/interview experiences there, and we'd all be glad to answer any Paris-specific questions that you have. :)

You have to go to Paris for this? Not the embassy in Marseilles?

Hehe I can answer 2 of your Q's :) Each of you fill out all 4 pages. Make sure to sign each page as well. So in total, 8 pages of G-325A. It makes more sense if you see the original form they send if you call the center and have them send it to you. You get 2 copies of the G-325A and each has 4 carbon copy pages.

Vermont has the visa they've been working on the longest post as a CYA. The VAST majority of people (at least on this site) are getting approvals within 1 month. 2-3 month timelines are for california SC. You are lucky and get the shorter approval time!

Edited by msu17

Timeline

AOS

Bio appt. Oct. 24 '07

Got the AP Dec. 3 '07

Got the GC July '08

Can you tell me about the medical exam?

It consists of 3 places: 1 place for bloodwork to be drawn (checking for HIV and whatnot), 1 place for a quick chest xray, and 1 place for the physical exam. The doctor that does the physical is awesome, very sweet lady with a great sense of humor. The physical took about 10 minutes for my fiance and was mostly yes or no questions. A concern I see a lot on this board is do they have to examine the, erm, private regions. Well, I don't know about for women, but for my fiance they did not. ;) All 3 buildings are pretty close to each other, within walking distance. What else do you want to know?

You fill out 4 pages, your fiancee fills out 4 pages. The 4 pages are identical, they just go to different places once they're processed.

If it only takes three months, then we don't care. She has to finish university and that ends in June. I just saw on the Vermont page they are processing applications back from August 20th 2006. Why is it saying that and people are getting it in 2-3 months?

Vermont and California have very different processing times. People going through CSC generally take 2 - 3 months just to complete the USA side of the process. People going through VSC generally take only a month. Why the Vermont page says that is beyond me. In actuality, VJers going through VSC are getting their NOA2s in a month or less. Unless a RFE is involved, that could slow things down. Maybe the case being processed from August 20th has had multiple RFEs? ;)

You have to go to Paris for this? Not the embassy in Marseilles?

Nope, this is Paris. ;)

8/10/08:

---seperated---

7/23/07: Recieved AOS RFE (dated 7/17) for W-2s, mailed them out the next day (Day 33)

Timeline
Hehe I can answer 2 of your Q's :) Each of you fill out all 4 pages. Make sure to sign each page as well. So in total, 8 pages of G-325A. It makes more sense if you see the original form they send if you call the center and have them send it to you. You get 2 copies of the G-325A and each has 4 carbon copy pages.

Vermont has the visa they've been working on the longest post as a CYA. The VAST majority of people (at least on this site) are getting approvals within 1 month. 2-3 month timelines are for california SC. You are lucky and get the shorter approval time!

I'm sorry I don't understand the four pages. All information fits on one. Why the four pages?

You need 4 pages of the G-325A form for each person. If you fill it in electronically, it fills in the other 4 pages automatically. Then sign and date each copy.

I'm sorry I don't understand the four pages. All information fits on one. Why the four pages?

They go to diffrent places. Its basically an electronic version of the orginal carbon form.

keTiiDCjGVo

Timeline

>>Can you tell me about the medical exam?

It consists of 3 places: 1 place for bloodwork to be drawn (checking for HIV and whatnot), 1 place for a quick chest xray, and 1 place for the physical exam. The doctor that does the physical is awesome, very sweet lady with a great sense of humor. The physical took about 10 minutes for my fiance and was mostly yes or no questions. A concern I see a lot on this board is do they have to examine the, erm, private regions. Well, I don't know about for women, but for my fiance they did not. ;) All 3 buildings are pretty close to each other, within walking distance. What else do you want to know?<<

That's it, thanks.

>>Yes, you both need to fill out all 4 pages of the G-325a. :thumbs:

You fill out 4 pages, your fiancee fills out 4 pages. The 4 pages are identical, they just go to different places once they're processed.<<

F--- -- Can you just make copies of the form? She's in France now (well back on a plane), and for her to fill it out and sign it and mail it to me will slow things down by at least two weeks.

>>If it only takes three months, then we don't care. She has to finish university and that ends in June. I just saw on the Vermont page they are processing applications back from August 20th 2006. Why is it saying that and people are getting it in 2-3 months?

Vermont and California have very different processing times. People going through CSC generally take 2 - 3 months just to complete the USA side of the process. People going through VSC generally take only a month. Why the Vermont page says that is beyond me. In actuality, VJers going through VSC are getting their NOA2s in a month or less. Unless a RFE is involved, that could slow things down. Maybe the case being processed from August 20th has had multiple RFEs? ;)<<

RFEs?

What are the reasons a visa won't get approved? I read the official reasons (which are obvious), but I don't know if there are more. I am worried about the statement of support.

>>You have to go to Paris for this? Not the embassy in Marseilles?

Nope, this is Paris. ;)<<

Oh, great, train rides. heh. What do they ask at the interview?

And thanks to everyone else who has replied.

If you fill out the form electronically (go to the download section of the site), when you complete the first page it'll fill the other 3 out for you. Print all 4 pages, sign and date each page. Then have your fiancee do the same, all 4 pages. Each page has the same information on it, but each page goes to a different place at VSC - so they need 4 pages each with original ink signatures on them to go to each place.

8/10/08:

---seperated---

Timeline

>>They go to diffrent places. Its basically an electronic version of the orginal carbon form.<<

So it can be copies? :D

If you fill out the form electronically (go to the download section of the site), when you complete the first page it'll fill the other 3 out for you. Print all 4 pages, sign and date each page. Then have your fiancee do the same, all 4 pages. Each page has the same information on it, but each page goes to a different place at VSC - so they need 4 pages each with original ink signatures on them to go to each place.

Ugh,, okay, thanks.

RFE is a request for more evidence. If you forgot to sign something, didnt send enough evidence of meeting/relationship, forgot photos etc. Basically if they dont have what they need to make a decision.

Timeline

AOS

Bio appt. Oct. 24 '07

Got the AP Dec. 3 '07

Got the GC July '08

Oops, missed your other questions because we posted at the same time. :lol:

Can you just make copies of the form? She's in France now (well back on a plane), and for her to fill it out and sign it and mail it to me will slow things down by at least two weeks.

Nope, they need original signatures in ink. A photocopied signature will lead to a RFE (see next paragraph). Can she afford the money to ship it by a faster method? I ended up having to DHL stuff to France at one point.

RFEs?

Whoops sorry. RFE = Request for Further Evidence. If you forget to include something, or they need further clarification on something, they'll send you a letter asking for you to send them the additional information that they require. This will cause a delay in your case while they mail you the RFE, you collect the required info, and you mail it to them.

What are the reasons a visa won't get approved? I read the official reasons (which are obvious), but I don't know if there are more. I am worried about the statement of support.

Look at it this way. The employment situation in France is horrible and France is being loaded with immigrants. They want as many people out of the country as possible. If they're going to deny a person from leaving, they're gonna have a dayum good reason for it. ;) Does your sponsor make 125% of the poverty guidelines for their household plus 1 more?

What do they ask at the interview?

They asked my fiance 4 questions: what's her name, how did you meet, what does she do for a living, and what do you plan on doing once you're in the States. They didn't look at a single shred of proof of ongoing relationship. He was in the embassy for an hour and a half and most of that time was spent waiting to be called in.

8/10/08:

---seperated---

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

If you go here:

http://www.visajourney.com/faq/k1faq.htm

It pretty much answers mostly all the questions you've asked.

It also has many "sample" forms and sample templates for the things you may need to write out.

If you take the time to read this guide alone, you'll have a much greater understanding of this whole process.

It really is an easy read, and makes things pretty clear about what is required, what you will go through and what may happen along the way.

If you go here: (which someone kindly told me about just recently)

http://www.visajourney.com/consulates/index.php?letter=F

And click on embassy information and reviews you can see first hand what your specific embassy requires.

You can also read reviews of people who have already gone through the interviews/this whole process with the Paris embassy.

Take a look over those two guides. They really help to clear things up.

My timeline:

02 - 09 - 2007 - Sending off of my I-129F package

02 - 13 - 2007 - NOA1 Received

02 - 21 - 2007 - Touched!

03 - 01 - 2007 - NOA2 Received

03 - 02 - 2007 - Touched Again!

03 - 06 - 2007 - NVC Received

03 - 07 - 2007 - Was told by email I-129F will be forwarded to Sydney

03 - 08 - 2007 - I-129F picked up by DHL and on it's way to Sydney!!

03 - 12 - 2007 - Sydney Consulate received packet! From DHL: 1:48 pm Shipment delivered WOOT

03 - 19 - 2007 - Packet Three is sent off!

03 - 20 - 2007 - Corey goes to get his fingerprints/police check completed. Now we wait for the investigation and then I can be assured he's not a criminal =]

03 - 21 - 2007 - Corey gets Pkt 3 via Registered Mail

03 - 22 - 2007 - Sent Corey a copy of all the documents and the notarized I-134.. hopefully everything arrives safely!

04 - 17 - 2007 - Corey's Medical Examination.. Let's hope everything goes great!

05 - 01 - 2007 - Corey's Medical Rescheduled to this date because doctor was away!

05 - 04 - 2007 - Corey's Initial Interview date! (We only had ONE week's notice!)

05 - 30 - 2007 - Corey's Rescheduled Interview date because there was no time for the initial one

Timeline

>>

Nope, they need original signatures in ink. A photocopied signature will lead to a RFE (see next paragraph). Can she afford the money to ship it by a faster method? I ended up having to DHL stuff to France at one point.<<

Yeah, we can do that. It just sucks that I can't mail off the stuff tomorrow.

>>Look at it this way. The employment situation in France is horrible and France is being loaded with immigrants. They want as many people out of the country as possible. If they're going to deny a person from leaving, they're gonna have a dayum good reason for it. ;)<<

Heh, she told me to move their because immigration is so easy.

>>Does your sponsor make 125% of the poverty guidelines for their household plus 1 more?<<

I don't know what the poverty guidelines are, but my grandmother makes about 500k plus her assets (but she REFUSES to tell the government what she has). She lives with my grandfather who supports himself. I only say the number because I read a case in one of the guides where the person was denied because they were on disability (I'm on SSI).

>>

They asked my fiance 4 questions: what's her name, how did you meet, what does she do for a living, and what do you plan on doing once you're in the States. They didn't look at a single shred of proof of ongoing relationship. He was in the embassy for an hour and a half and most of that time was spent waiting to be called in.

<<

Should she have a job or is stating she plans to work as well as going to university enough?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.