japanrecruit

Apply for K-1, then potentially leave the U.S?

5 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hey guys, planning on proposing to my GF (Lives in Japan, Japanese national) within the next month or so. Planning on going through the K-1 Visa process immediately so she can get over here and get married.

Our issue is that although I am currently working for the private sector here in San Diego, I am trying to get over to Japan to work for the U.S Federal Government (on a U.S military installation in Japan). So my question is, will this be an issue? I'm nowhere near getting a job there, but if something comes up it may be a very fast process. Possible scenarios:

Scenario 1: Apply for K-1, get approved, she comes to the U.S and we get married, and then we both leave back to Japan under a Status of Forces Agreement. Issues? I think that would be considered "the U.S" so I don't think so?

Scenario 2: Apply for K-1, and mid-process/before approval go back to Japan. Again, issues? Technically, I'm moving to Japan but under Status of Forces, so I'm pretty much moving within the U.S for all intents and purposes. Will the processing still continue, or will it stop?

Also a possibility but unlikely:

Scenario 3: Apply for K-1, get approval, come to the U.S and get married. Then I go back to Japan *not* with the federal U.S government and work as a foreigner in Japan. Again, this is unlikely, but if this happens is it just a matter of "your status is revoked?" I just don't want any perception of apply for the K-1 while planning to leave right away, as this is not the case.

The biggest thing for all of the scenarios is that there is nothing in the works for moving to Japan, and I just don't want anybody thinking we went through this whole process with the intent of leaving right away. If I was in the process of getting a job and all that, find, but right now I'm only in the "applying" stage.

Thanks, and this site is a huge help!! Might not even need a lawyer with all of this information!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

hi

you would have wasted time and money, because the K1 is to marry and adjust status in the US after you are married, if you leave without adjusting, then it was a waste of time and money

instead of the K1, why don't you just go ahead and get married? you can marry anywhere, and she doesn't need to come to the US to marry

plus, you can file for the GC once you decide to return to live to the US, of course as you stated this is all hypothetically if you get a job

Filed: Timeline

hi

you would have wasted time and money, because the K1 is to marry and adjust status in the US after you are married, if you leave without adjusting, then it was a waste of time and money

instead of the K1, why don't you just go ahead and get married? you can marry anywhere, and she doesn't need to come to the US to marry

plus, you can file for the GC once you decide to return to live to the US, of course as you stated this is all hypothetically if you get a job

Thanks for the reply. Well, the biggest thing is that everything is "up in the air" so we have to proceed with everything as if we are staying in the states for an undetermined period of time. Therefore we want to get this done in the quickest time possible which leads us to the K-1. Plus, if I go to Japan it will most likely be for the U.S Government. Not sure how this works, but I'm assuming that although the job will physically send me to Japan, in the eyes of immigration law I'll still be in the U.S?

Edited by japanrecruit

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.