Siam Sam

Thai Assets Accepted for Affidavit of Support?

43 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

From what I read in your post, all your assets count except one car, I have never heard that you can only use the house you live in. The value of your property minus what you owe counts. Sounds like you are in good shape.

thanks i hope so

• 1 month later...
Filed: Other Country: Thailand
Timeline

Just to let everyone know, my wife had her interview today, and they did use the three-times formula for our foreign assets including property. Unfortunately they said we should have put them in the I-864A, which we did not fill out, because we were led to believe the spouse's assets could be included in the I-864. Not so, the interviewer said. So be warned about that. But the three-times rule does apply for foreign assets in the case of a spouse.

Edited by Siam Sam

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Thanks for that bit of info. We didn't do the i-864a either since I too have seen that if its the spouse of the sponsor, the assets are just reported on the i-864 So what did you do about that? Did you have to send in an i-864a?

Timeline

This from the i-864 instructions

Item Numbers 6. - 9. Assets of the Intending Immigrant. You may use the assets of the intending immigrant
regardless of where he or she resides. The intending immigrant must provide evidence of such assets with this affidavit.
Add together Item Numbers 6. - 8. and enter the total number in Item Number 9. Form I-864A is not required to
document the intending immigrant’s assets.

Timeline

I sent a message to the Bangkok IV Unit yesterday querying this and received a response today saying yes, we do have to submit the I-864a. So I would advise going ahead and doing it.

We have not sent it in yet. Have been told to submit everything lacking together in one go including the lease to my new apartment in Honolulu and details of my new Hawaiian bank account once I get those. Since that's going to be a few months away, there's not much hurry.

Timeline

I sent a message to the Bangkok IV Unit yesterday querying this and received a response today saying yes, we do have to submit the I-864a. So I would advise going ahead and doing it.

We have not sent it in yet. Have been told to submit everything lacking together in one go including the lease to my new apartment in Honolulu and details of my new Hawaiian bank account once I get those. Since that's going to be a few months away, there's not much hurry.

I will for sure do that as I have it all filled out anyway. ( I was not sure if they needed it since we file jointly, but was only using my income, as per instructions, the answer was "No") But it makes me annoyed how they arbitrarily change the "the rules". Over at another part of this forum there is a woman in Greece, that was requested to get and send in a doc from Germany. She complied and had it translated to English as instructed and sent it in, only to have them then tell her they wanted it translated to Greek also.

You would think since they have my I-864 already, they would send me a note telling me that they needed something else. Oh well, I've bitched and moaned enough. :devil:

Timeline

so i am wondering what form should i fill out if i am using my homes and cars along with my disability

You first do the i-130, then you will do the support form i-864, thats where you list your assets. The topic above is about the i-864A that is used mostly by a household member that is helping to support the beneficiary, say your parents if you are living with them, or your wife if you file jointly and are sponsoring someone together.

Timeline

so i am wondering what form should i fill out if i am using my homes and cars along with my disability

As part of your Packet 3, you as the sponsor will have to fill out an I-864 listing all assets held in your name. If there are co-sponsors, each one will have to fill out a separate I-864 listing all assets held in their name. If you are going to use the assets of your fiancee or wife, she will have to fill out an I-864a (note the slightly different form number) listing all assets held in her name.

The instructions for the I-864 and I-864a are ambiguous at best. As noted previously in this thread, the instructions say an I-864a is not required if the intending immigrant is the sponsor's spouse (as in my case), but I see language elsewhere in the I-864 instructions that could be interpreted as requiring it. Plus on the I-864a itself is a box to check if the person is both the intending immigrant and the sponsor's spouse. So go figure.

Best to ask the embassy you're dealing with if it's going to be necessary, then if they happen to say no, have a copy of the e-mail with you at the time of the interview in case the interviewer says you have to. I can tell you now that the Bangkok embassy definitely wants it. But note that this will matter only if you are using assets held in your fiancee or wife's name.

Timeline

As part of your Packet 3, you as the sponsor will have to fill out an I-864 listing all assets held in your name. If there are co-sponsors, each one will have to fill out a separate I-864 listing all assets held in their name. If you are going to use the assets of your fiancee or wife, she will have to fill out an I-864a (note the slightly different form number) listing all assets held in her name.

The instructions for the I-864 and I-864a are ambiguous at best. As noted previously in this thread, the instructions say an I-864a is not required if the intending immigrant is the sponsor's spouse (as in my case), but I see language elsewhere in the I-864 instructions that could be interpreted as requiring it. Plus on the I-864a itself is a box to check if the person is both the intending immigrant and the sponsor's spouse. So go figure.

Best to ask the embassy you're dealing with if it's going to be necessary, then if they happen to say no, have a copy of the e-mail with you at the time of the interview in case the interviewer says you have to. I can tell you now that the Bangkok embassy definitely wants it. But note that this will matter only if you are using assets held in your fiancee or wife's name.

thank you i will only be using my assets 3 paid off houses and 6 cars i wonder if they would be wanting a co sponsor because i do not file taxes tho i do have money in the bank and recieve 900 a month from disability

Timeline

thank you i will only be using my assets 3 paid off houses and 6 cars i wonder if they would be wanting a co sponsor because i do not file taxes tho i do have money in the bank and recieve 900 a month from disability

If you don't have to file taxes, there's a box to check for that on the I-864. They'll only want you to have a co-sponsor if your income is less than 125% of the annual poverty level or your assets are worth less than three times that amount.

Timeline

If you don't have to file taxes, there's a box to check for that on the I-864. They'll only want you to have a co-sponsor if your income is less than 125% of the annual poverty level or your assets are worth less than three times that amount.

my assets are over 500,000 do you think they would still want a co sponsor

Timeline

No, You only need about $ 65000

I'll explain a little more. If you have income of just over $20,000 a year you can sponsor your wife. If you have assets at 3 times that amount, you can sponsor. If you have some income, say $10,000 a year, you will need the difference from the $20,000 X 3 in assets. In this case, $10,000 income, just over $30,000 in assets.

Timeline

If you're talking dollars, then I'm sure half a million would satisfy them. But I'm not the final arbiter, they are. Again, your income must be 125% of the annual poverty level for the state in which you plan to live, or else your assets must be three times the 125% figure. Period. Not one dollar less. No ifs, ands or buts.

There is a link somewhere in the instructions where you can go and see the poverty-level rates for all the states. For some reason, the link shows 150% of the poverty level, not 125%, but you can do the calculation to figure 125%. It's the same for the Lower 48, a little higher for Hawaii, highest of all for Alaska.

Edited by Siam Sam

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.