Jump to content

Moving house/state after K-1 adjustment status

1 post in this topic

Recommended Posts

Hi all,

I'm going through the K-1 process. Assuming it is successfully approved, I have a question about what happens after adjusting my status.

My partner has three month placements in different cities and states, therefore her mailing address changes every so often. Her permanent address remains in her home state of NH, but we will be renting in whatever city or state that she is placed (likely to be IL and CA later this year, after placements in CT and MA earlier this year). She is only going to be doing this for another 18 months after we are married, and I would be moving with her as we are using it as a way to see the country as well as settle on a place to live :)

However, is there anything in particular that I would need to know in advance for filing procedures after the K-1 is approved and we have adjusted my status after a wedding?

In particular, her company advises her that it is important for her permanent address remains her home address (in NH) despite being on placement in CT, MA, IL and CA. Does this have implications for me at all? Some of the issues I've thought about include:

- Am I right in assuming that I have to inform USCIS whenever I move city/state with her, and that I need to do this within 10 days of moving?

- If yes, then will it matter that my partner's permanent address and my permanent address will differ despite physically living in the same house? Presumably this could be flagged up on some computer system or an interview somewhen. As such, we aim to collect as much evidence that we are living together (we aim to have our bills and rental agreements in both of our names; we aim to have full documentation from my employer and from her placement employer).

Any thoughts would be useful to help prepare us. We are early on in the K-1 process, having only received our K-1 in the middle of December.


Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.