14 posts in this topic

I searched the forums the best I could, but couldn't find an answer.

My Filipina wife and myself, a U.S. Citizen, were married in the United States June 2014. I have applied for a CR-1 visa for her; her interview is in a few weeks. She renewed her passport in her maiden name, as this is her last name on all her paperwork and IDs. She went today for the CFO certificate/sticker for her passport. They would give her neither. They said she needs to report her marriage abroad before she could get either the CFO certificate/sticker. What's the fastest way to to about this. I am in the United States. She is in the Philippines. Her interview is in a few weeks and we thought she would be able to come here soon enough. Yet, now, from what I can tell, I have to file this report of marriage and wait months for it to process just for a sticker. Crazy. Please help!

I searched the forums the best I could, but couldn't find an answer.

My Filipina wife and myself, a U.S. Citizen, were married in the United States June 2014. I have applied for a CR-1 visa for her; her interview is in a few weeks. She renewed her passport in her maiden name, as this is her last name on all her paperwork and IDs. She went today for the CFO certificate/sticker for her passport. They would give her neither. They said she needs to report her marriage abroad before she could get either the CFO certificate/sticker. What's the fastest way to to about this. I am in the United States. She is in the Philippines. Her interview is in a few weeks and we thought she would be able to come here soon enough. Yet, now, from what I can tell, I have to file this report of marriage and wait months for it to process just for a sticker. Crazy. Please help!

ROM has to be done through the consulate that represents the state where you were married. Process can be done by mail, but requires notarized signatures. Process takes 6-8 weeks from when the consulate receives your application.

Crazy? Yup. But your wife is not leaving the Philippines until that is completed.

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

HandArrow.gif.adeb854ba620933849ae921ca0b44a0c.gif  Link to the Visa Process for Manila Embassy once you have your NOA2 : Click Here

Contact Hank: HERE

K-1 visa approved 21 March 2012

...Citizenship... complete!

ROM has to be done through the consulate that represents the state where you were married. Process can be done by mail, but requires notarized signatures. Process takes 6-8 weeks from when the consulate receives your application.

Crazy? Yup. But your wife is not leaving the Philippines until that is completed.

Thank you so much. Since we have been married more than a year before filing, do we need to send a notarized affidavit saying why? I see some embassies and other posts say yes, but the DC website doesn't mention it and when i called DC they said no.

Thank you so much. Since we have been married more than a year before filing, do we need to send a notarized affidavit saying why? I see some embassies and other posts say yes, but the DC website doesn't mention it and when i called DC they said no.

I would follow the consulate, they say NO, then don't bother.

Hank

HandArrow.gif.adeb854ba620933849ae921ca0b44a0c.gif  Link to the Visa Process for Manila Embassy once you have your NOA2 : Click Here

cwespalmore, on 04 Jan 2016 - 12:25 PM, said:

DC does not require a notarized affidavit saying why. Your good to go. DC is pretty fast so might have it back in 5 weeks but count on 6-8 and be surprised and thankful if sooner. We filed through DC.

Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

AOS March 5, 2014 Submitted AOS with EAD/AP package to Chicago USICS

Delivered March 8, 2014 AOS packaged delivered to USCIS drop box

Accepted March 19, 2014 Text message with receipt numbers

Biometrics April 16, 2014 Biometrics completed

EAD May 23, 2014 Employment Authorization Document approved and went to card production

TD May 23, 2014 Travel Document approved and went for card production

Receipt EAD/AP May 30, 2014 Received combo card EAD/AP

Green Card Approved July 11, 2014 Approved, no interview. Went to card production.

Green Card received July 17, 2014 GC received without interview

Removal of Conditions

Mailed I-751 Dec 16, 2015 Submitted ROC (removal of conditions)

Received Dec 18, 2015 USPS notification of successful delivery

Check Cashed Dec 21, 2015 Check was cashed

NOA-1 Issued Dec 21, 2015 NOA-1 for ROC issued

NOA-1 Issued Dec 26, 2015 NOA-1 Received

Biometrics Appt. Jan 29, 2016 Biometrics Appointment Scheduled [Completed]

DC does not require a notarized affidavit saying why. Your good to go. DC is pretty fast so might have it back in 5 weeks but count on 6-8 and be surprised and thankful if sooner. We filed through DC.

Thank you so much.

Do you remember if you had to include pictures with the Report of Marriage. I see no mention of it on the requirements on the DC Embassy's website. However, when I call the Embassy there is a recording of a different set of requirements including photographs. I called and reached a person at the embassy and they seemed not sure. Too many inconsistencies there depending on who I talk to, so I am not really sure. Thank you so much.

P.S. And it wasn't even normal 2x2 passport photos; it was something like 1.77 x 1.37 haha.

Edited by cwespalmore

No mention of photos on the embassy website, I would tend to follow the embassy instructions.

http://www.philippinesusa.org/index.php?page=consular-services-main/faq-main/#marriage

Hank

I don't recall having to send pictures with the ROM. With the new passport request there is. Follow the directions on the website and you will have no problems.

http://www.philippineembassy-usa.org/philippines-dc/consular-services-dc/faq-dc/#marriage

Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

EAD May 23, 2014 Employment Authorization Document approved and went to card production

Green Card Approved July 11, 2014 Approved, no interview. Went to card production.

Removal of Conditions

I don't recall having to send pictures with the ROM. With the new passport request there is. Follow the directions on the website and you will have no problems.

http://www.philippineembassy-usa.org/philippines-dc/consular-services-dc/faq-dc/#marriage

Thank you. That it was what I figured. Is there a difference between the marriage certificate and marriage record? I have the certificate but no clue what a record means. And do I need to include witnesses if there are none on the marriage certificate? We of course had people there, but the state we got married doesn't need witnesses as long as the one signing officiated the wedding.

Thank you and this is the end of my questions I promise. You have been a great help. I will be sending these out tomorrow after they are notarized.

cwespalmore, on 05 Jan 2016 - 11:22 PM, said:cwespalmore, on 05 Jan 2016 - 11:22 PM, said:

Thank you. That it was what I figured. Is there a difference between the marriage certificate and marriage record? I have the certificate but no clue what a record means. And do I need to include witnesses if there are none on the marriage certificate? We of course had people there, but the state we got married doesn't need witnesses as long as the one signing officiated the wedding.

Thank you and this is the end of my questions I promise. You have been a great help. I will be sending these out tomorrow after they are notarized.

The marriage record is what your after as that is signed sealed and notarized by the courts. Just look at what you have from the court house and that is what the Embassy will need. If there are not witness recordes due to the fact it is not required then send it anyways.

Oh no, you'll be back. They all say that. But low and behold their hand goes up to ask another question. :):lol:

Edited by Greenbaum

Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

Removal of Conditions

The marriage record is what your after as that is signed sealed and notarized by the courts. Just look at what you have from the court house and that is what the Embassy will need. If there are not witness recordes due to the fact it is not required then send it anyways.

Oh no, you'll be back. They all say that. But low and behold their hand goes up to ask another question. :):lol:

I planned on sending the orignal and 4 copies of everything I received from the courthouse. 1) the signed by the notary and notarized marriage certificate that says "this is to certify that the above is s true and correct copy of the orignal marriage record" and 2) the application for marriage license which is signed by my wife and I plus the clerk,then is once again sign and notarized.

cwespalmore, on 05 Jan 2016 - 11:35 PM, said:

I planned on sending the orignal and 4 copies of everything I received from the courthouse. 1) the signed by the notary and notarized marriage certificate that says "this is to certify that the above is s true and correct copy of the orignal marriage record" and 2) the application for marriage license which is signed by my wife and I plus the clerk,then is once again sign and notarized.

:thumbs: Great work!

Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

Removal of Conditions

Hi I want to share this to you, my husband and I got married in sri Lanka in 2012,he sponsored me for a spousal visa. The US embassy asked for an NSO marriage certificate that I don't have. So what I did was to Report our Marriage at the DFA which I did in October 2015, it was a Delayed Registration of Report of Marriage and will take 2-4 months.

My visa was approved last November, the Filipino pre screener is particular about the registration of marriage in Philippines.

I am scheduled to go for a CFO seminar in cebu on Jan 25. My husband and I are worried cOz CFO need the Report of Marriage from NSO.

I know that I have to call DFA manila and ask for a tracking number but I cannot contact them either.

What I did is.. I called CFO cebu and I told them that I still have my maiden name coz that was on our papers during the sponsorship process.

The guy said that I can still come and bring my foreign marriage certificate. So I guess im good to go to the seminar.

Hope this helps . thank you

That Report of Marriage thing is the reason why the Filipino Pre screener gave me the yellow thingy that says "Case of the Day" been 3 years of marriage but still we never reported it in my Philippine Govt (of course my husband and I have no idea about that) and maybe why our the sponsorship took 3 plus years.

That yellow thingy leads me to a special American Consul that only handles applicant with that yellow thingy.

That was a bloody 30 mins plus interview with him. The other cubicles already approved 5 applicants while I'm with him having an oral defense in the university- like interview.

Everything will turn out right if papers are OK and defend the genuine relationship you have.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.