tito

Request for Evidence - tax records

7 posts in this topic

I just received a REQUEST FOR INITIAL EVIDENCE for the I-485. But the information they request is TOTALLY unclear. I had been filing jointly, but have since divorced, and figured that my schedule "C" information (sole proprietorship) would suffice and that they would not want to see income from an ex-spouse. But, this is what they say regarding the I-864 affidavit of support...mind you, I am no civil servant, so I have trouble with their language!!:

MUST SUBMIT THE FOLLOWING:

1. "W2's, 1099's and/or all schedules submitted to the IRS - a copy of his/her (sponsor) Federal income tax return was submitted."

HUH? What year? Current year? Past 3 years? I just submitted a cover page of the entire return, because of the situation with the ex-spouse. Totally irrelevant to the support issue. But still...are they saying that they just want the supporting documentation for current year? All years?

2. "Federal income tax returns for the most recent tax year or certified IRS copies."

HUH??? Does that mean I can send in just a copy of the entire return for last year? Or does it need to be a CERTIFIED copy I get from the IRS? Doesn't make sense...

There's another thing that's no problem, but these 2 items are confusing (to me...).

Can anyone shed some light on this? Is there a way to CALL or WRITE to get a clarification of what this means and what they are intending? I really wish they could be more precise with this stuff. I mean, I'm an ATTORNEY and I don't get it. Perhaps I'm reading too much into it...

Any help or guidance would be appreciated.

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline
I just received a REQUEST FOR INITIAL EVIDENCE for the I-485. But the information they request is TOTALLY unclear. I had been filing jointly, but have since divorced, and figured that my schedule "C" information (sole proprietorship) would suffice and that they would not want to see income from an ex-spouse. But, this is what they say regarding the I-864 affidavit of support...mind you, I am no civil servant, so I have trouble with their language!!:

1. "W2's, 1099's and/or all schedules submitted to the IRS - a copy of his/her (sponsor) Federal income tax return was submitted."

HUH? What year? Current year? Past 3 years? I just submitted a cover page of the entire return, because of the situation with the ex-spouse. Totally irrelevant to the support issue. But still...are they saying that they just want the supporting documentation for current year? All years?

2. "Federal income tax returns for the most recent tax year or certified IRS copies."

HUH??? Does that mean I can send in just a copy of the entire return for last year? Or does it need to be a CERTIFIED copy I get from the IRS? Doesn't make sense...

There's another thing that's no problem, but these 2 items are confusing (to me...).

Can anyone shed some light on this? Is there a way to CALL or WRITE to get a clarification of what this means and what they are intending? I really wish they could be more precise with this stuff. I mean, I'm an ATTORNEY and I don't get it. Perhaps I'm reading too much into it...

Hi tito

I got the same REQUEST FOR INITIAL EVIDENCE for the I-485. Here's what I did.

I give them what is requested in the notice, copy of most recent Federal tax return (2006 Tax Return), copies of W2's, current employer letter, pay stubs. I included a COVER LETTER addressing each of the points in the RFE.

Include sufficient proof of self-employment if you are self employed.

The letter that you received is exactly what everyone else receives when missing even one thing from the I-864 package.

Edited by meblue

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

We got close to the same request .. I tried to call the 1-800 # to ask because it didn't make sense plus we had already sent everything that was required ( they had no idea ) so thats a waste of time .. So we decided to send them everything listed just to make sure ! Here is what we sent .. maybe overkill but the silly pink paper was impossible to understand .. Good Luck

- Copy of I-864

- Copy of sponsor’s 2005 Federal income tax

- Copy of sponsor’s 2005 W2 , 1099

- Sponsor’s work letter

- Sponsor’s last 6 months pay stubs/pay statements

- Sponsor’s 2005 IRS transcript ( you can call the irs and have this faxed to you )

- Copy’s of Sponsor’s 2006 W2 and 1099G (a note explaining 2006 taxes had not yet been filed)

~My AOS (K1)

Jan 19/07 NOA1

Feb 05/07 Transfered to CSC

Feb 08/07 Biometrics

Mar 30/07 Welcome notice sent

April 10/07 Card production ordered

April 13/07 Approval notice sent

April 16/07 Green card in hand

~My Sons AOS (K2) Age 11

Jan 19/07 NOA1

Feb 08/07 Biometrics

~My Daughters AOS (K2) Age 9

Jan 19/07 NOA1

Feb 07/07 RFE Snail mail

Feb 08/07 Biometrics

Feb 14/07 sent back RFE ~ Feb 21/07 email resp. RFE

Feb 29/07 Transfered to CSC !!

April 03/07 Card production ordered

April 04/07 Welcome notice sent

April 07/07 Welcome notice & Green card arrived

So...let me get this straight...

I have a copy of my most recent return (2005...I have not yet done the one for 2006). Do I ALSO need a TRANSCRIPT from the IRS? The request for evidence SEEMS to say "return for most recent year" OR "certified IRS copies". But it does NOT say, COPY of return for most recent year. Quite imprecise!

ALSO: they say they want W-2's and 1099's and/or all schedules submitted...but for what year(s)? Most recent only? All years? Also very imprecise.

I am just going to send full copies of returns for 03, 04 and 05...last 3 years.

I called the IRS...requested a transcript...they say it will be sent by mail in 10 - 15 days. How did you get them to fax it to you? Good work!!!

Thanks for the assistance. They could make this a bit easier if they were just slightly more precise in the language. I'm sure the person who processed this knew what they had in mind, but they sure as heck did NOT know how to convey it!

Timeline:

-Arrival of fiancee 11/7/06

-Married 1/1/07 (Honeymoon through 1/21/07!!!!)

-Received marriage certificate(s) on 1/26/07

-Sent in I-485 on 1/29/07, but they rejected the package because of a perceived typographical error on check!

-Received rejection notice because of check on 2/6/07

-Re-submitted the I-485 on 2/6/07

-Received NoA for receipt on 2/20/07

-Received NoA for biometrics on 2/20/07 - appointment today...3/8/07

-Received Requet for Evidence on 3/7/06

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

I have a copy of my most recent return (2005...I have not yet done the one for 2006). Do I ALSO need a TRANSCRIPT from the IRS? The request for evidence SEEMS to say "return for most recent year" OR "certified IRS copies". But it does NOT say, COPY of return for most recent year. Quite imprecise!

ALSO: they say they want W-2's and 1099's and/or all schedules submitted...but for what year(s)? Most recent only? All years? Also very imprecise.

I am just going to send full copies of returns for 03, 04 and 05...last 3 years.

I called the IRS...requested a transcript...they say it will be sent by mail in 10 - 15 days. How did you get them to fax it to you? Good work!!!

Thanks for the assistance. They could make this a bit easier if they were just slightly more precise in the language. I'm sure the person who processed this knew what they had in mind, but they sure as heck did NOT know how to convey it!

In my RFE, I sent 2003, 2004, 2005 and 2006. I just sent copies.

I also posted the same question and I got replies that copies are fine. Below is the link, I hope this will help.

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=56089

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

If it helps we sent only most recent tax year stuff 2005 ( and copies of the 2006 w2 & 1099 since we hadn't done the taxes ) as far as either a copy of the tax return OR irs transcript .. we were not 100% sure so we sent both ( we didn't want another RFE ) Unless they changed things in the last few weeks the irs will fax it to you .. i seem to remember the guy telling my husband that he can only fax the transcript from the most recent year.. so maybe if you asked for more then 1 .. we got the trascript in the mail 7 days after we called. Good luck

~My AOS (K1)

Jan 19/07 NOA1

Feb 08/07 Biometrics

~My Sons AOS (K2) Age 11

Jan 19/07 NOA1

Feb 08/07 Biometrics

~My Daughters AOS (K2) Age 9

Jan 19/07 NOA1

Feb 07/07 RFE Snail mail

Feb 08/07 Biometrics

Feb 14/07 sent back RFE ~ Feb 21/07 email resp. RFE

Feb 29/07 Transfered to CSC !!

April 03/07 Card production ordered

April 04/07 Welcome notice sent

April 07/07 Welcome notice & Green card arrived

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.