katrina

Social Security Number

13 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

my situation's kind of confusing, but anyway..

i applied for AOS and EAD august of 2006. i got my EAD november 1st and my green card the 2nd week of december. i applied for a social security number december 22nd, and the local office told me that i had to wait for about 10 weeks since "the USCIS hasn't updated my data yet." so i waited for 10 weeks, and i didn't hear anything from them. I went to the local office last week (which was the 10th week) to check on my application and they said my record still hasn't been updated yet and there was nothing they could do. they told me to wait another 10 WEEKS - OR SO - and just come back once in a while to check on the application. i was really getting frustrated coz without the number i couldn't get a license or a job and i've been bumming around since august of 2006!

and then this...........

one of my aunts who was living with my mom decades ago remembered that my mom was able to get a ssn for me when i was on vacation here in the states years ago (how? i have no clue). so i called my mom and asked her and she said she couldn't remember. then my dad, who is in a different country, called me the other day telling me that he was looking through his files and saw a social security card with my name on it!

now, my question is what do i do? do i use this old card or do i just discard this and wait for my pending ssn application? the thing is, with the old ssn it says "not valid for employment" but since im a permanent resident now i need a ssn that i can use for work. what should i do?? can i "upgrade" my old social security number???

i applied for AOS and EAD august of 2006. i got my EAD november 1st and my green card the 2nd week of december. i applied for a social security number december 22nd, and the local office told me that i had to wait for about 10 weeks since "the USCIS hasn't updated my data yet." so i waited for 10 weeks, and i didn't hear anything from them. I went to the local office last week (which was the 10th week) to check on my application and they said my record still hasn't been updated yet and there was nothing they could do. they told me to wait another 10 WEEKS - OR SO - and just come back once in a while to check on the application. i was really getting frustrated coz without the number i couldn't get a license or a job and i've been bumming around since august of 2006!

and then this...........

one of my aunts who was living with my mom decades ago remembered that my mom was able to get a ssn for me when i was on vacation here in the states years ago (how? i have no clue). so i called my mom and asked her and she said she couldn't remember. then my dad, who is in a different country, called me the other day telling me that he was looking through his files and saw a social security card with my name on it!

now, my question is what do i do? do i use this old card or do i just discard this and wait for my pending ssn application? the thing is, with the old ssn it says "not valid for employment" but since im a permanent resident now i need a ssn that i can use for work. what should i do?? can i "upgrade" my old social security number???

I asked Social Security about a situation where I need to get Olga a SSN but she will not have EAD for a while, they said they can issue one but it will not be valid for work, when the EAD arrives we need to reapply.

I would think the same for you but since you applied for one but did not know you had a SSN, that may complicate the issue...I would phone social security and explain how you applied but did not know you had a SSN at the time and ask them how to proceed. My guess is they will say reapply with your SSN but I could be wrong =P

Marc

K-1 timeline

05/03/06: NOA1

06/29/06: IMBRA RFE Received

07/28/06: NOA2 received in the mail!

10/06/06: Interview

02/12/07: Olga arrived

02/19/07: Marc and Olga marry

02/20/07: DISNEYLAND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AOS Timeline

03/29/07: NOA1

04/02/07: Notice of biometrics appointment

04/14/07: Biometrics appointment

07/10/07: AOS Interview - Passed.

Done with USCIS until 2009!

hi there

you only get one number for life (but can change it under certain circumstances) i would ring them before going back into the office to find out the correct thing to do...because on the forms for any visa they ask if you have had a SSN before eg..students that marry an american will put that number down..

has your dad sent it to you...do you have any documentation that it is you eg. connecting documents for the address attached to that number...

take a look at the social security website there is heaps of info on there

kath

ps sorry i gave you somewhat the same info i was gunna be first but was busy reading the social website lol

Edited by kath&rob

REMOVING CONDITIONS

11th Aug 2008 - Mailed I-751 to CSC.

12th Aug 2008 - Application received

14th Aug 2008 - Cheque cashed

18th Aug 2008 - Received NOA-dated the 12th

26th Aug 2008 - Received Biometrics letter

4th Sept 2008 - Biometrics-Detroit-Complete-'Touched'

5th Sept 2008 - 'Touched'

1st Dec 2008 - APPROVED-Card production ordered -112 days

8th Dec 2008 - USCIS mailed approval notice.

8th Dec 2008 - Received my 10 year Greencard in the mail. took 2 days.

Although I have the above date for approval my card actualy states the

2nd December..

Timeline
You are only issued one SSN # in a life time. Have your dad send you the card/number and go back to the Social Security Office to let them know you were already issued a card. Also since you have your green card and now you know what your SSN # is you shouldn't have any trouble applying for a job. Good luck!

yep, my dad's sending me the ssn card. i should get it on friday, march 9. but do you think i would be able to use the same number even if it says it's not valid for work?

Timeline

and then this...........

I asked Social Security about a situation where I need to get Olga a SSN but she will not have EAD for a while, they said they can issue one but it will not be valid for work, when the EAD arrives we need to reapply.

I would think the same for you but since you applied for one but did not know you had a SSN, that may complicate the issue...I would phone social security and explain how you applied but did not know you had a SSN at the time and ask them how to proceed. My guess is they will say reapply with your SSN but I could be wrong =P

Marc

so i might have to reapply meaning they would issue me another card? or they would just update my old ssn? do u think i could get a driver's license with the old ssn for the mean time?

Timeline
hi there

you only get one number for life (but can change it under certain circumstances) i would ring them before going back into the office to find out the correct thing to do...because on the forms for any visa they ask if you have had a SSN before eg..students that marry an american will put that number down..

has your dad sent it to you...do you have any documentation that it is you eg. connecting documents for the address attached to that number...

take a look at the social security website there is heaps of info on there

kath

ps sorry i gave you somewhat the same info i was gunna be first but was busy reading the social website lol

i was looking through the social website too and they didn't have anything about it. i don't think i have any other documentation to prove that it is me other than the ssn card itself and my birth certificate.

my dad sent it already, fedex said it should get here by friday. is there such thing as "upgrading" your ssn to allow you to work??

hi katrina

social security link - permitted to work

i found this page for you..i knew i had seen it in there..hope it helps.. good that your dad sent it to you..

you can get that not authorised to work taken off but you will have to wait for another card to be processed..

good luck

kath

REMOVING CONDITIONS

11th Aug 2008 - Mailed I-751 to CSC.

12th Aug 2008 - Application received

14th Aug 2008 - Cheque cashed

18th Aug 2008 - Received NOA-dated the 12th

26th Aug 2008 - Received Biometrics letter

4th Sept 2008 - Biometrics-Detroit-Complete-'Touched'

5th Sept 2008 - 'Touched'

1st Dec 2008 - APPROVED-Card production ordered -112 days

8th Dec 2008 - USCIS mailed approval notice.

8th Dec 2008 - Received my 10 year Greencard in the mail. took 2 days.

Although I have the above date for approval my card actualy states the

2nd December..

Filed: Timeline

katrina,

It isn't the SS card that determines whether or not you are employment authorized. The notation simply points this out to people who might want to employ you.

You're an LPR, your green card is all the evidence you need to show an employer that you are employment authorized.

Yodrak

.... the thing is, with the old ssn it says "not valid for employment" but since im a permanent resident now i need a ssn that i can use for work. what should i do?? can i "upgrade" my old social security number???

You get the same number for life (usually), but you can request a new card without the "not valid for employment" notation on it.

2001 Met

2005 Married

I-485/I-130

12/06/2006-------Mailed I-130/1-485

12/16/2006--------Recieved NOA 1 (I-130 & I-485)

12/18/2006--------Touched I-130/I-485

01/20/2007--------Biometrics

05/10/2007 -- Interview, Approved!

05/22/2007 GREEN CARD arrives!!!

02/2009 - File to lift conditions

I-765

12/14/2006--- Mailed EAD App.

01/20/2007--- Biometrics

02/09/2005-------Sent in request to Congressional office for assistance with expediting EAD.

02/13/2007 -------- EAD Approved!

02/26/2007 - ------EAD received

Removal of Conditions:

05/12/2009 -- Overnighted application by USPS express mail (VSC).

05/14/2009 -- Green Card expired.

05/23/2009 --- Check cleared bank.

05/26/2009 -- Received NOA (NOA date May 15, 2009, guess they aren't deporting me).

05/29/2009- Biometrics Notice date

06/01/2009- Received Biometrics Letter

06/18/2009 - Biometrics

09/23/2009 - date of decision to approve (letter received), just waiting for card. No online updates whatsoever.

and then this...........

Just upgrade your SS card and bring along with you your GC and they will get your old SS card and they will issue and mail it to you the new SS card.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Naturalization

Aug. 05, 2009......sent N-400

Aug. 06, 2009......delivered at 11:45

Aug. 17, 2009.....NOA

Sept.01, 2009.....biometric appointment

Sept.12, 2009.....rcved interview letter

Oct. 19, 2009.....date of interview....passed!!!!!

Nov. 18, 2009.....Oath Ceremony...yahooooooooo!!!!!!!!!

Timeline
hi katrina

social security link - permitted to work

i found this page for you..i knew i had seen it in there..hope it helps.. good that your dad sent it to you..

you can get that not authorised to work taken off but you will have to wait for another card to be processed..

good luck

kath

ohh. thank you thank you! :P

Timeline

Thank you to everyone who replied :P i went to my local office today and they just took note of the number and added it to my pending application. they just updated my application to verification of employment authorization/alien status, or something like that.

thanks! :P

I hope you get it straightened out soon and good luck!

2001 Met

2005 Married

I-485/I-130

12/06/2006-------Mailed I-130/1-485

12/16/2006--------Recieved NOA 1 (I-130 & I-485)

12/18/2006--------Touched I-130/I-485

01/20/2007--------Biometrics

05/10/2007 -- Interview, Approved!

05/22/2007 GREEN CARD arrives!!!

02/2009 - File to lift conditions

I-765

12/14/2006--- Mailed EAD App.

01/20/2007--- Biometrics

02/09/2005-------Sent in request to Congressional office for assistance with expediting EAD.

02/13/2007 -------- EAD Approved!

02/26/2007 - ------EAD received

Removal of Conditions:

05/12/2009 -- Overnighted application by USPS express mail (VSC).

05/14/2009 -- Green Card expired.

05/23/2009 --- Check cleared bank.

05/26/2009 -- Received NOA (NOA date May 15, 2009, guess they aren't deporting me).

05/29/2009- Biometrics Notice date

06/01/2009- Received Biometrics Letter

06/18/2009 - Biometrics

09/23/2009 - date of decision to approve (letter received), just waiting for card. No online updates whatsoever.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.