shainawalker

Travelling abroad before moving

5 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

My London embassy appointment is in mid-January, and should all things go well, I will be moving to the US to be with my fiancé in April. I have a question, however, about receiving my passport back after the embassy interview.

I understand that the embassy retains my passport and then has it delivered to a location where I have registered to collect it if my application is successful, but I am travelling to Israel at the end of February, and I didn't know whether or not I can use my passport for this trip, as I know that the embassy provides you with an envelope/ sealed package that shouldn't be opened until my POE in the US.

IS MY PASSPORT INCLUDED IN THE SEALED PACKAGE OR AM I ABLE TO USE MY PASSPORT TO TRAVEL OUTSIDE THE US BEFORE I MOVE.

No no, your passport is NOT included in the sealed envelope as you need to show it to security etc at the airport :) Good luck and enjoy your trip!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Thanks so much!

No no, your passport is NOT included in the sealed envelope as you need to show it to security etc at the airport :) Good luck and enjoy your trip!

• 4 years later...

Had our appointment near end of Feb 2020.
Returned to the US by myself early March 2020, Fiance' stayed in the UK because you handover your passport (if you're the immigrant) at the interview stage. Needed to return to work so we could eat.

Months. No updates. Found out in November a federal lawsuit moved forward against the WH Administration for intentionally delaying K-1 Fiance VISAs in countries with travel bans, federal judge struck down the intentional delays.

No idea if London is processing our VISA, everything is literally done. Medical, interview, statements, we've done it all. We've had no emails, no calls, no returned passport.

Still sitting in the US waiting on my wife-to-be to come home.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
2 hours ago, SirrahGreed said:

Had our appointment near end of Feb 2020.
Returned to the US by myself early March 2020, Fiance' stayed in the UK because you handover your passport (if you're the immigrant) at the interview stage. Needed to return to work so we could eat.

Months. No updates. Found out in November a federal lawsuit moved forward against the WH Administration for intentionally delaying K-1 Fiance VISAs in countries with travel bans, federal judge struck down the intentional delays.

No idea if London is processing our VISA, everything is literally done. Medical, interview, statements, we've done it all. We've had no emails, no calls, no returned passport.

Still sitting in the US waiting on my wife-to-be to come home.

if there is some sort of question to ask, please start a thread to do so.  this thread is from 2015

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.