clairegie

Affidavit of Support from friends

6 posts in this topic

I understand that our friends who are willing to write an affidavit for us may be required to testify before an immigration officer. My questions is how often does this occur? Our friends who knows us best were the ones we met during my husband's service in the military and have now all gone home to their respective states. Do they get called over to a USCIS office in their state? Anyone have an idea how this part goes? We just want to be able to give them all the details so they know what writing the affidavit entails.

Never heard of anyone actually being called to testify. Not even once.

AOS

03/24/11 - Got married in the Boogie-Down Bronx, NYC!
04/21/11 - Mailed I-130,I-765, I-485, I-864 and I-693 - Day 00

04/23/11 - Application delivered - Day 02
04/28/11 - NOA (most forms) - Day 07
05/03/11 - Checks cashed - Day 12
05/31/11 - Biometrics completed in the Bronx, NYC - Day 40
06/24/11 - Received someone else's employment authorization card!!! What the...? - Day 64
07/01/11 - Mailed the poor lady's card back after calling USCIS - Day 71
07/07/11 - Received poor lady's interview notice! What??? - Day 77
07/15/11 - Received my own EAD card - Day 85
08/12/11 - Interview. Approved on the spot! - Day 113
08/18/11 - Received card in the mail - Day 119

ROC
05/28/13 - Mailed I-751 - Day 00

05/30/13 - Application delivered - Day 02

05/31/13 - NOA I-797 - Day 03
06/04/13 - Check cashed - Day 07

06/06/13 - NOA delivered to my home/Biometrics letter generated - Day 09

06/10/13 - Received Biometrics letter in the mail - Day 13

06/27/13 - Biometrics completed in Milwaukee, WI - Day 30

09/10/13 - Application approved! - Day 105

09/14/13 - 10 year Green Card received! - Day 109

Citizenship

05/10/16 - Mailed N-400 - Day 00

05/12/16 - Application delivered - Day 02

05/13/16 - Credit card payment accepted - Day 03

05/17/16 - Received text & email update - Day 07

05/20/16 - Received 1st NOA (dated 05/13/16) & created ELIS acct - Day 10

05/21/16 - Received 2nd NOA (dated 05/16/16) confirming my DOB and address - Day 11

05/22/06 - Biometrics scheduled (online update) and appt letter was mailed on 05/20/16 - Day 12

05/24/06 - Biometrics letter became viewable online (appt scheduled for 06/07/16) - Day 14

05/27/16 - Received Biometrics letter in mail - Day 17

05/31/16 - Was denied walk-in fingerprints with just 1 person left in line. Milwaukee office, boo! - Day 21

06/07/16 - Biometrics completed in Milwaukee, WI - Day 28

12/21/16 - Passed Citizenship test/Interview was successful! - Day 197

01/26/17 - I am a US citizen!!! - Day 233

Hmm I don't think I have ever heard of that happening either.

Also just a heads up, title is a bit confusing since Affidavit of Support generally refers to the I-134 and I-864, which doesn't sound like what you are asking about.

Can I ask what the testimonies are for? Looking at your timeline it looks like you got your green card fairly recently, so I am a little confused on what you would even need them for.

~*INTENT IS DETERMINED AT POE*~

Forever wishing for an eye-roll reaction.

K-1 Visa~
9/28/2015 - I-129f Packet Mailed to Texas Lockbox
10/1/2015 - NOA 1 Email - I-129f sent to California Service Center
10/8/2015 - NOA 1 Hard Copy
10/27/2015 - NOA 2
11/21/2015 - Packet 3 Received
1/08/2916 - Medical! Lots of jabs >.>
2/23/2016 - APPROVED!
6/20/2016 - POE
7/29/2016 - Married ❤️

~*Approval 146 Days from NOA1*~

AOS ~
9/9/2016 - AOS/AP/EAD packet mailed to Chicago Lockbox
9/11/2016 - Delivered to Chicago Lockbox
9/20/2016 - Received Text/Email NOA1
9/23/2016 - Hard Copy NOA1s
10/12/2016 - Biometrics Appointment
11/04/2016 - AP Status "Approved" EAD "Date of Birth Updated"
11/18/2016 - Received EAD/AP Combo Card!
12/23/2016 - Received Green Card

~*Green Card 95 Days from NOA1*~

ROC~

10/12/2018 - Mailed ROC Packet

11/8/2018 - NOA-1 

7/5/2019 - Biometrics

~*STILL WAITING 607+ Days since NOA*~

I understand that our friends who are willing to write an affidavit for us may be required to testify before an immigration officer. My questions is how often does this occur? Our friends who knows us best were the ones we met during my husband's service in the military and have now all gone home to their respective states. Do they get called over to a USCIS office in their state? Anyone have an idea how this part goes? We just want to be able to give them all the details so they know what writing the affidavit entails.

They will not be required to do anything.

Affidavits really aren't given much weight as evidence, they're more of a bonus. Icing on the cake if you will. They certainly don't hurt, but they don't do much more than backup an already convincing case.

In an absolute worst case scenario in which the USCIS has 1. clear and concise evidence that you and your husband's marriage was a sham and 2. proof that your friends knew this at the time they wrote the affidavits, then yes, I suppose they could in theory go after them for providing false statements.

Edited by JayJayH

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

USCIS wanted two, we could have provided more than a several dozen. All of our relatives, friends, neighbors, assoicates, co-workers new we were living together. If our marriage did break up, wife still had three options to stay here, just a lot of extra work. But you have to do it. Here is the format for these leters of affadavits.

An outline of what the USCIS wants is as follows taken from their I-751 application form.

"Affidavits sworn to or affirmed by at least two people who have known both of you since your conditional residence was granted and have personal knowledge of your marriage and relationship. (Such persons may be required to testify before an immigration officer as to the information contained in the affidavit.)

The original affidavit must be submitted and also contain the following:

Information regarding the person making the affidavit:

His or her full name and address;

Date and place of birth;

Relationship to you or your spouse, if any;

Full information and complete details explaining how the

person acquired his or her knowledge.

Affidavits must be

supported by other types of evidence listed above."

Here is a sample letter I found on the web:

*Full Name*
*Address*
*Phone Number*

8-31-03

To whom it may concern:

My date of birth is xx-xx-xx, and I was born in town, state. I have known Jennie xxxxx since March 2001. I first met her at a family dinner at a local restaurant. I attended her wedding to Benjamin xxxxx in August 2001. I see Jennie regularly at family events and holidays. I have spent the past three 4th of July celebrations with Jennie and Benjamin watching fireworks. I have helped them move into their first apartment in 2001 and recently into their new home in June 2003. They have worked hard together to make this home their home. They are happily married and looking forward to their years ahead.

Sincerely,

*Signature*

Closure of this letter can be:

"I declare under penalty of perjury under the Law of the United States of America that the foregoing is true and correct. Signed on month day, year at my town, my state."

If your affidavit writer is willing / able to have their letter notarized, then you may as well have it done.

Hmm I don't think I have ever heard of that happening either.

Also just a heads up, title is a bit confusing since Affidavit of Support generally refers to the I-134 and I-864, which doesn't sound like what you are asking about.

Can I ask what the testimonies are for? Looking at your timeline it looks like you got your green card fairly recently, so I am a little confused on what you would even need them for.

Reading up on the Lifting of conditions although I'm not due for a while. Yup, I'm way past the I-134 stage.

Thanks everyone for the help! :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.