lizaanne

To the Brits - do you think everything here in the US is too sweet?

148 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: England
Timeline

G gets upset about our baked beans! He is very much a fan of your basic Heinz beans in tomato sauce and cannot come to grips with things like brown sugar or molasses in our versions.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Paul loves the food here except for our bread. Totally registering for a breadmaker when we get married! English chocolate is also 10000000 times better! I always make him bring me a stash when he visits. We're big meat and pasta fans, so you can really add too much sweetness to that.

Timeline

AOS

Mailed AOS, EAD and AP Sept 11 '07

Recieved NOA1's for all Sept 23 or 24 '07

Bio appt. Oct. 24 '07

EAD/AP approved Nov 26 '07

Got the AP Dec. 3 '07

AOS interview Feb 7th (5 days after the 1 year anniversary of our K1 NOA1!

Stuck in FBI name checks...

Got the GC July '08

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
G gets upset about our baked beans! He is very much a fan of your basic Heinz beans in tomato sauce and cannot come to grips with things like brown sugar or molasses in our versions.

Kroger's "vegetarian beans" are very close to the UK ones.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline
Simon is constantly crabbing about everything being too sweet! The bread, the beans, the pastry, you name it, and he thinks it's too sweet.

Is it just him, or do others feel this way too? I don't notice it, but then again, I've always been here. Eating up the sweet life I guess! ;) ----sorry, that was bad, I know. :whistle:

~Liza

I have found that things over here are too sweet. The chocolate just isn't as good as the British chocolate. The beans taste funny here, and I think it is gross that people put brown sugar in baked beans, lol. I've gotten used to the bread, it isn't that bad anymore.

[color=#800080]AOS

Lawyer sent Aos package 07-27-2007

Medical 08-01-2007

Check cashed -08-23-2007

NOA - 08-27-2007

Biometrics scheduled - 09-12-2007

Biometrics for EAD and AOS 09-12-2007

Received RFE for medical and co-sponsor tax returns

(Tax returns were sent) also letter from employer

needed, and last 6 months pay stubs.

RFE: 09-11-2007

Sent RFE back to lawyer 10-10-2007

EAD card production ordered 06-11-2007

EAD received 17-11-2007

Interview date for 01-08-2008[/color]

Approved! Card Production ordered 01-08-2008

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Those are exactly what we just bought this week, and he did say they were pretty good (he had them on toast for breakfast - BLECH!!!). He hated the Boston brand with the brown sugar and pork in them.

~Liza

10 Year Green Card Holder Since July 2009 --- Thank you Visa Journey!!! :-)

Bread is too sweet, chocolate is too sweet, don't bother with baked beans and try to avoid processed food.

Martini's are just perfect though :D

Refusing to use the spellchick!

I have put you on ignore. No really, I have, but you are still ruining my enjoyment of this site. .

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Scotland
Timeline

I have to agree about American foods being way to sweet, but personally I'm in food heaven here. I live just accross the street from a Gujerati store where I can get all my curry ingredients fresh as I want them.

As I only actually moved here Tuesday, yesterday lunchtime I didn't feel like cooking so just walked over the road and came back with a box of frozen massala dosas made in Kerela. While I'm not a big fan of processed foods I think I might buy more of those sometime.

K-1 Visa

Event Date

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : London, United Kingdom

I-129F Sent : 2006-09-26

I-129F NOA1 : 2006-09-28

I-129F RFE(s) :

RFE Reply(s) :

I-129F NOA2 : 2006-10-18

NVC Received : 2006-10-20

NVC Left : 2006-10-23

Consulate Received :

Packet 3 Received : 2006-11-06

Packet 3 Sent : 2006-12-02

Packet 4 Received : 2006-12-07

Interview Date : 2007-01-31

Visa Received : 2007-02-03

US Entry : 2007-03-06

Marriage : 2007-03-30

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: England
Timeline

Thanks mags! We were so happy to discover on a trip to Wegmans that they out of the blue started stocking the Heinz ones. G is thrilled!! I'm not a fan so much (they taste like beans in spaghettio sauce to me!), but as long as he's happy, I'm happy!

Edited by julezabelle

Those are exactly what we just bought this week, and he did say they were pretty good (he had them on toast for breakfast - BLECH!!!). He hated the Boston brand with the brown sugar and pork in them.

~Liza

Baked beans on toast - how can you not like - that's one of my all-time favorites - UK beans of course!? Or Fried egg, chips (fries) and baked beans....sausage, egg and beans - dip the sausage in the egg yolk and bean sauce...don't knock it until you've tried it!!

Edited by perfect

OUR TIMELINE

K1 VISA & MARRIAGE - 8 MONTHS

17 February 2004 Sent I-129F petition CSC - It was APPROVED in 147 days

3 September 2004 INTERVIEW IN LONDON SUCCESSFUL VISA APPROVED! MARRIED OCTOBER 16, 2004

ADJUSTMENT OF STATUS - 5 MONTHS

4 January 2005 - Submitted applications for AOS and EAD - 12 May 2005 Conditional Permanent Residency Approved - interview in Santa Ana

4 June 2005 CPR 2-year Green Card arrives in mail

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS - 3½ MONTHS

8 May 2007 - I-751 sent to CSC - 23 August 2007 - Approved - Card production ordered

30 August 2007 - 10 year Green Card received

K2 TIMELINE (Stayed behind in UK to finish school)

28 March 2005 - embassy interview & medical London - visa granted

01/18/06 Applications for AOS/EAD sent - 03/28/06 EAD approved

4/3/06 - RFE for AOS - requested new medical and vacc supplement

4/26/06 - approved without interview and welcome letter sent

05/02/2006 - Greencard arrives in mail

03/14/08 - Petition to Remove Conditions mailed to CSC delivered - 7/2/08 APPROVED

NATURALIZATION TIMELINE (for myself and son) 5 MONTHS

April 18, 2011 - N-400 Applications Mailed to AZ lockbox

April 21 (received April 25) NOAs

May 12 - FP Letters mailed

May 16 - Received FP appointment letters for June 8 at 11am

August 1 - Interview - approved for Oath Ceremony - OATH CEREMONY 28 SEPTEMBER

~Liza

Baked beans on toast - how can you not like - that's one of my all-time favorites - UK beans of course!? Or Fried egg, chips (fries) and baked beans....sausage, egg and beans - dip the sausage in the egg yolk and bean sauce...don't knock it until you've tried it!!

*grin* YUCKOOOOOOOO

But you are welcome to eat what ever you like...I'll cook it for you to. But no beans on toast for me...same goes with dipping anything in egg! (I am a no egg girl)

All You Need Is Love...

*The Beatles*

I am a wife!! Whoa this is weird!

I will have to agree on the 'everything being too sweet' thing - I'm not even there yet, and I noticed the presence of High Fructose Corn Syrup in EVERYTHING (whyyyyyy does bread need to be sweetened, damn it? It's not a cake, it's BREAD, ffs!!) while wandering round a supermarket a couple of years ago. It's just made me think that I really really really will have to get used to the idea of cooking a lot of stuff from scratch, just so I don't end up consuming a ton of unwanted sugar on a daily basis. I'm soooo far from being some kind of diet-obsessed health freak, but that corn syrup thing (along with the amount of totally unnecessary additives in EVERYTHING - and I'm more than used to foods being filled with additives, living in the UK and all...) does freak me out a touch, I have to say. :unsure:

2005 - We met

2006 - Filed I-129F

2007 - K-1 issued, moved to US, completed AOS (a busy year, immigration-wise)

2009 - Conditions lifted

2010 - Will be naturalising. Buh-bye, USCIS! smile.png

My husband can't understand beans or cheese on toast.

At first, cheese on toast sounded strange and awful to me, but I tried it and was shocked at how nice it was. It only occurred to me afterwards that basically, it's an open faced grilled cheese sandwich. And I loves me some grilled cheese!

The beans though, I can't even think of touching that. Ughhhh. :P

I think Adam prefers food in the US *because* it's so sweet. His sweet tooth overpowers mine by a mile.

UNST0001.gifbritkit.jpgUNKG0001.gif

Try italian bread, I'm not all that keen on the regular bread over here, do miss a nice loaf of bread from Hovis, but anyways, try Italian bread from supermarkets or an italian bakery if you can find one, I think it's the closet to what the bread is like back in england, tastes much better than the regular bread over here.

.png

.png

2/5/07 - 2 Year Green Card arrives!!! YAY!!!!

5/10/08 - Received RI Driver's License!

11/10/08 - Removing Conditions - Sent package out!

11/19/08 - Received Notice of Action - 1 year extension on my current green card - now waiting for biometrics letter.

11/28/08 - Received biometrics letter.

12/12/08 - Biometrics appointment - 10am.

01/13/09 - Still waiting............

06/08/09 - Card in production and on it's way!

06/22/09 - Received 10 Year Green Card! YAY!!

happy13.gif thforevertogether.gif

thNevergiveup.gif love9.gif

blinkie18.gif

Made_in_England.gif

I also agree with many of you guys aswell, Heinz baked beans are waaaay much better than the beans over here, I'm so glad I can get them in the Stop and Shop over here in the international section, go nice with a toasted bagel with butter. :D another thing, also miss Clover aswell.

.png

.png

2/5/07 - 2 Year Green Card arrives!!! YAY!!!!

5/10/08 - Received RI Driver's License!

11/10/08 - Removing Conditions - Sent package out!

11/19/08 - Received Notice of Action - 1 year extension on my current green card - now waiting for biometrics letter.

11/28/08 - Received biometrics letter.

12/12/08 - Biometrics appointment - 10am.

01/13/09 - Still waiting............

06/08/09 - Card in production and on it's way!

06/22/09 - Received 10 Year Green Card! YAY!!

happy13.gif thforevertogether.gif

thNevergiveup.gif love9.gif

blinkie18.gif

Made_in_England.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.