hafsol

RFE for joint sponsor proof of citizenship and name change

4 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Indonesia
Timeline

Good day all,

I apologize if this question has been answered before, but I have so far been unable to find the information I need. I've tried calling USCIS, but they have not been helpful at all.

We just received a Request for Initial Evidence for my husband's I-485 that asks for proof of the joint sponsor's US citizen status. My mother, the joint sponsor, was born in the US, and I already sent a copy of her birth certificate with the AOS packet. I am wondering how I should deal with this RFE, as I feel like they should already have what they are requesting. My mother changed her first and middle name years ago, though it was only about a year ago that she had her full name legally changed to the one that is on her driver's license and other documents. As a result of this, the name she uses (which is now her legal name) is different from the name shown on her birth certificate. I had sent a copy of the court decree of name change along with her birth certificate copy to show that she is the person named in the birth certificate. I am wondering if the problem is that the person who looked at our case did not see this, or if it is not sufficient evidence of citizenship. She does not have a passport, and this is all of the proof of US citizenship and name change that we have for her. I am wondering what I should do about this. Would it be sufficient to send the birth certificate and court decree again along with a letter explaining the situation?

Any information or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance. Once again, I apologize if I failed to notice and posts in which this exact question had already been asked.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

I would resend the birth certificate, court ordered name change document and a copy of her current photo ID. Yes, they may have overlooked the name change proof. Include a statement explaining everything and point it all out to them as clearly as you possibly can. The court ordered name change document should list her previous name and new legal name, so they should be able to connect the dots, BUT I would still point out both names in your explanation.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Indonesia
Timeline

Good day all,

I apologize if this question has been answered before, but I have so far been unable to find the information I need. I've tried calling USCIS, but they have not been helpful at all.

We just received a Request for Initial Evidence for my husband's I-485 that asks for proof of the joint sponsor's US citizen status. My mother, the joint sponsor, was born in the US, and I already sent a copy of her birth certificate with the AOS packet. I am wondering how I should deal with this RFE, as I feel like they should already have what they are requesting. My mother changed her first and middle name years ago, though it was only about a year ago that she had her full name legally changed to the one that is on her driver's license and other documents. As a result of this, the name she uses (which is now her legal name) is different from the name shown on her birth certificate. I had sent a copy of the court decree of name change along with her birth certificate copy to show that she is the person named in the birth certificate. I am wondering if the problem is that the person who looked at our case did not see this, or if it is not sufficient evidence of citizenship. She does not have a passport, and this is all of the proof of US citizenship and name change that we have for her. I am wondering what I should do about this. Would it be sufficient to send the birth certificate and court decree again along with a letter explaining the situation?

Any information or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance. Once again, I apologize if I failed to notice and posts in which this exact question had already been asked.

Though we received different request for the RFE on my AOS, the problem is the same. The officer may overlook the proof you presented.

In my case, they wanted complete tax return, in which we submitted in the first go round.

I second what KayDeeCee has said on here, and make a brief explanation on the joint sponsor and present the proof again. If this goes smoothly, usually the approval won't take long.

Good luck!

blooms

• 2 weeks later...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.