reazon

K1 and immigration officers

33 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

That was helpful, I get the point, my questions might look a bit "off, but I do understand what all of you good people are saying and you are right.

My fiancé and I are working through it, and Im grateful for all of you who contributed to make it more clear.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Portugal
Timeline

There are two separate issues here. One is your fiancee's situation regarding her living arrangements, child support and custody. The other is your relationship to her. The first issue needs to be addressed ASAP. If she doesn't have anything on paper, she needs to. If she is living in her ex-boyfriend's place out of the kindness of his heart, she can be kicked out if, for example, he decides to sell the place. If child support is not defined in any way, shape or form, it needs to be. If there is no paperwork regarding custody arrangements, there need to be. Family court is messed up, and a lengthy custody battle may be in the works for your fiancee if the ex is that crazy - that's why she needs to formalize things on paper YESTERDAY.

Regarding your relationship, I'll second what others have said - as you want things to work right now, it's not going to look good. And if you go ahead with a K1 or a spousal visa, it might bite you and your fiancee in the rear end while she gets her own paperwork in order. Which basically means you should wait until her end of the situation is handled. In the meantime, you should use the waiting period to deepen your relationship. How many times have you been together face to face? Has she visited you? Have you visited her? How well do you get along with the kid? Have more trips in there, give the relationship more time, let things become more established. Potentially, you could go to the US and stay close to her for a few months with the specific intent of returning to your country while you wait out for your visa to be approved. Have it be a dating period of sorts. You stayed there for a few months, to get to know her better, get her to know you better, make sure this is really what you wanted, then you submit the paperwork and go back home while you wait for the approval. But this would be if you're applying for a K1, not a spousal visa, and be aware that your entry in the US under this reason might possibly be denied - plus, you would need to have a place to stay and some sort of income to live on, knowing you won't be able to work in the US while you stayed there.

People do have complicated situations, but you have to work WITH the system, not around it, and sometimes you do need to wait, as hard as it may be. If you truly love each other and your relationship really is solid and real, it's worth the wait.

The K1 journey:                                                                                                                             The AOS journey:

11/09/2013 - I-129F Packet mailed to Dallas Lockbox                                                                                         06/22/2015 - AOS packet mailed to Chicago Lockbox

02/14/2014 - Case shipped to Embassy, where it waited for over a year at my request                                 11/07/2015 - AOS approved (EAD and AP had already been approved) - there was no interview

05/21/2015 - Interview - Approved

06/19/2015 - Wedding (L) 

The ROC journey:                                                                                                                         

10/12/2017 - ROC packet mailed to VSC

01/21/2019 - ROC Approved - there was no interview

The N-400 journey:

02/16/2020 - N-400 application filed online

02/21/2020 - Paper NOA received in the mail

03/13/2020 - Biometrics

02/02/2021 - Interview & test - Approved

02/05/2021 - Oath Ceremony

JOrOp1.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Very good advice thank you very much, its his house which she can live for the next 8years in, this is a part of a deal witch is on paper, and everything is else is on paper and has been cleared so we have a clear path to marry and live together.

Reason for my question was pure curiosity and I wanted to know, "what if", bcs if possible we would taken that route, not to cheat the system.

Thanks to you all here we have talked, and mailed out k1 petition on Monday.

She visited once, but we did met in person, and then she returned 60 days after, shortly after I got rejected for tourist visa so that is not happening, we are going to have one more face to face soon. (if everything goes well)

We are deepening our relationship every day, i do agree its worth a wait.

We also feel we need to "keep it moving", bcs phone talks are one thing and we do want to start our new life.

It is going to work or its not, to struggle with phone talks and visits every few months is just too expensive and painful, I admire all you who deal with it. That is very strong.

Edited by Stjepan

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.