Qilin

Questions about co-sponsorship

13 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hello, VJ Members.

I am a U.S.-born citizen/resident looking to bring my UK-born citizen/resident husband to the U.S. on a CR1 visa (we were married in the U.S. this July). We had originally intended that I would move over there, but have recently reconsidered and are investigating the alternative.

Here's the catch: I am unemployed and have been so for the past two years. I will soon be moving back to my home state of NY, where my parents live, and they are willing to co-sponsor my husband to come here. I have a job lined up in NY, but will obviously not have sufficient recent employment/income history to sponsor my husband myself.

In light of this situation, I have a couple of questions.

1. Is it even possible for me to sponsor my husband if I have to rely on my co-sponsor for 100% of the income/assets requirement? If not, what do I have to be able to demonstrate before we can do this?

2. How does the process differ if I have a co-sponsor? Is there an up-to-date guide on this site for how a co-sponsored CR1 actually works, step-by-step from the first form onwards?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Cheers,

Lauren

Not yet ready to start the filing process. Still deciding which spouse will relocate: Husband to U.S. or wife to U.K.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I have a job lined up in NY, but will obviously not have sufficient recent employment/income history to sponsor my husband myself.

Less than obvious to me why you could not sponsor him.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Less than obvious to me why you could not sponsor him.

Don't I have to be able to demonstrate that I have had a stable income for a certain length of time before filing? Especially if I don't have a significant savings?

Not yet ready to start the filing process. Still deciding which spouse will relocate: Husband to U.S. or wife to U.K.

Timeline

Well if it had just been a few weeks, but sounds like you have just started so will have a year or so.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Well if it had just been a few weeks, but sounds like you have just started so will have a year or so.

I'm sorry, but I'm not following you. Being so new to this, I need pretty specific answers. If what had just been a few weeks? A year or so for what?

If you're familiar with a location where I can view the requirements for sponsorship, a link would be appreciated (and would save you the trouble of giving me a more detailed answer!). The USCIS website is confusing to navigate -- I haven't been able to find the information. I can find forms, but nothing in the way of actual requirements.

Timeline

If you had been in your new job just a few weeks by the time of the interview. A year for the process, when you will need to show sponsorship.

I 864 can be downloaded form USCIS and has all the information you need. There are notes that go with it.

You have not completed your time line so difficult to make specific comments.

If you had been in your new job just a few weeks by the time of the interview. A year for the process, when you will need to show sponsorship.

I 864 can be downloaded form USCIS and has all the information you need. There are notes that go with it.

You have not completed your time line so difficult to make specific comments.

Sorry, my mistake. I don't have anything to add to a timeline yet. We haven't made any move whatsoever towards starting the actual process. I'm only seeking preliminary information so we can decide if I should move to the UK (a process we already understand fully) or if he should move here to the States.

Thanks for pointing me to the I-864. I had been looking at the I-134. Confusing for a newbie that they are both called "Affidavit of Support".

I appreciate your patience. ;)

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Poland
Timeline

1. Is it even possible for me to sponsor my husband if I have to rely on my co-sponsor for 100% of the income/assets requirement? If not, what do I have to be able to demonstrate before we can do this?

2. How does the process differ if I have a co-sponsor? Is there an up-to-date guide on this site for how a co-sponsored CR1 actually works, step-by-step from the first form onwards?

Hi Lauren,

You don't need to provide forms I-864 for your sponsors until your case is at NVC. From mailing your form I-130 until you get approval and your case is moved to NVC it will take at least 5 months, more likely 6-7. By that time you will probably be eligible to be the only sponsor for your husband since you wrote that you have a job lined up. Another question is - will you be making above 125% of poverty guidelines for your household size? Check out info on form I-864p to make sure.

You, as the USC petitioner, will always be the primary sponsor for your husband, regardless of whether you are making enough money or not. You always need to fill out form I-864.

Getting a joint sponsor doesn't change the whole process much. You just need to provide an extra I-864 form for the joint sponsor along with all the required supporting documents (joint sponsor's tax transcripts and/or W2s, recent pay stubs and/or employment letter).

January 2011 - met in USA

Sep 28, 2013 - wedding in Poland

USCIS:

Sep 23, 2015 - mailed I-130 package to Chicago lockbox

Nov 3, 2015 - I-130 approved (29 days from NOA1)

Nov 12, 2015 - received NOA2 via snail mail

NVC:

Jan 2, 2016 - DS-261 submitted

Feb 6, 2016 - DS-260 submitted

CONSULATE:

Apr 26, 2016 - medical exam

May 10, 2016 - interview at the Embassy in Warsaw, Poland - result: APPROVED!

May 16, 2016 - visa in hand

POE:

Jul 23, 2016 - POE: Chicago O'Hare

NATURALIZATION:

Dec 16, 2019 - filed N-400 online

Feb 24, 2020 - naturalization interview in Phoenix, AZ

Mar 10, 2020 - naturalization oath ceremony in Phoenix, AZ

Hi Lauren,

You don't need to provide forms I-864 for your sponsors until your case is at NVC. From mailing your form I-130 until you get approval and your case is moved to NVC it will take at least 5 months, more likely 6-7. By that time you will probably be eligible to be the only sponsor for your husband since you wrote that you have a job lined up. Another question is - will you be making above 125% of poverty guidelines for your household size? Check out info on form I-864p to make sure.

You, as the USC petitioner, will always be the primary sponsor for your husband, regardless of whether you are making enough money or not. You always need to fill out form I-864.

Getting a joint sponsor doesn't change the whole process much. You just need to provide an extra I-864 form for the joint sponsor along with all the required supporting documents (joint sponsor's tax transcripts and/or W2s, recent pay stubs and/or employment letter).

Thanks, M&J. Yes, I will be making well over 125% of FPL.

A little personal history -- I sponsored my former husband (deceased) many years ago. Back then, a sponsor had to have been employed at the same place for 12 months to qualify without a joint sponsor. It's good to know this has apparently changed. A lot seems to have changed, actually. Mostly for the better, with the exception that the process was much shorter, time-wise. I wish there were legal shortcuts for industrious filers. Oh, well. :-/

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

Hello, VJ Members.

I am a U.S.-born citizen/resident looking to bring my UK-born citizen/resident husband to the U.S. on a CR1 visa (we were married in the U.S. this July). We had originally intended that I would move over there, but have recently reconsidered and are investigating the alternative.

Here's the catch: I am unemployed and have been so for the past two years. I will soon be moving back to my home state of NY, where my parents live, and they are willing to co-sponsor my husband to come here. I have a job lined up in NY, but will obviously not have sufficient recent employment/income history to sponsor my husband myself.

In light of this situation, I have a couple of questions.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Cheers,

Lauren

Since you said you have not started filing yet...it could take anywhere from 3-10 months just to get thru the first part of the filing process. That should be enough to establish income from your new job.

See this link for the poverty guidelines; the minimum you or anyone else needs to make in order to sponsor.

http://www.uscis.gov/i-864p

If your parents are going to co-sponsor, check out this link

http://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/Step_4_Collect_Financial_Documents.html

But you won't really have to urgently have an idea on your income until you reach the NVC stage.

In regards to your last two years, it won't matter as much in the end, because most embassies look at current year's income, however, you still need to show documentation (proof of unemployed payments, letter stating unemployment) once at NVC stage.

Edited by ZaakirahDemba

Since you said you have not started filing yet...it could take anywhere from 3-10 months just to get thru the first part of the filing process. That should be enough to establish income from your new job.

See this link for the poverty guidelines; the minimum you or anyone else needs to make in order to sponsor.

http://www.uscis.gov/i-864p

If your parents are going to co-sponsor, check out this link

http://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/Step_4_Collect_Financial_Documents.html

But you won't really have to urgently have an idea on your income until you reach the NVC stage.

In regards to your last two years, it won't matter as much in the end, because most embassies look at current year's income, however, you still need to show documentation (proof of unemployed payments, letter stating unemployment) once at NVC stage.

Thanks, Zaakirah! This was very helpful, especially the second link, which I bookmarked immediately. I really appreciate the friendly help and feedback I've been getting here.

I see that your interview is this week, on 18 November. Safe travels, and best wishes for a good appointment!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

Thanks, Zaakirah! This was very helpful, especially the second link, which I bookmarked immediately. I really appreciate the friendly help and feedback I've been getting here.

I see that your interview is this week, on 18 November. Safe travels, and best wishes for a good appointment!

Thank you! It's my husband's interview date!

But I will be there from a distance...a phone call away. :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.