rimahanke

I-130 Questions

7 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline

Hi guys,

My husband and I are just beginning the Green Card application process and we have begun filling out the I-130. I am the American citizen and my husband is Swedish. I have been reading differing information the topic, but when I look at the list of things to send with application it does not seem like we need to submit any sort of Identification documents for my husband. I only see that they would need either my U.S. Birth certificate or photo copies of my passport. Is this correct or do we need to be sending in my husband's birth certificate as well with the I-130?

Also, if anyone has any useful tips about things that have held them up with the I-130 or any information at all it's greatly appreciated! We're worried about submitting things incorrectly.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

http://www.visajourney.com/content/i130guide1

This should answer those questions. I thought they were needed for my husband too so I brought them back with me when I came home, but then I found this. I guess they used to be required, but they have since done away with them. He will have to take originals with him to the interview I believe however.

Best of luck !

u10nm5.png

hSSvm6.png

I tend to look at it like this...the petition (I130) is to "investigate" you as the U.S. citizen and the visa application (DS260) is to "investigate" the intending immigrant. You will submit photocopies of your spouse's documentation when you get your checklist from the NVC and he will need to take the original documents with him to his interview. I hope this helps!

Timeline

Hi guys,

My husband and I are just beginning the Green Card application process and we have begun filling out the I-130. I am the American citizen and my husband is Swedish. I have been reading differing information the topic, but when I look at the list of things to send with application it does not seem like we need to submit any sort of Identification documents for my husband. I only see that they would need either my U.S. Birth certificate or photo copies of my passport. Is this correct or do we need to be sending in my husband's birth certificate as well with the I-130?

Also, if anyone has any useful tips about things that have held them up with the I-130 or any information at all it's greatly appreciated! We're worried about submitting things incorrectly.

In the first stage the filling of the I-130 you it its mostly about the American citizen. We sent both a copy of my husband's (the American) birth certificate and a copy of the first page of his US passport just in case. Is as another member answered the filling of the I-130 is more about establishing that you are american and eligible to apply for document for a family/husband to enter US. But you will need to send a copy of your marriage certificate were it says that you two are married.

Now depending on where you guys got married, if in Sweden then the marriage certificate is from Skatteverket and you can get in in English.

Later when you get to the NVC (National Visa Center) stage it will be more about your Swedish husband and then you will need a copy of his passport, that has to be stamped as original by the authority that issued the passport in Sweden it is the Police (Polisen). He will have to go there with its passport and ask for copies with stamps in english and they will help him. He will also need his Birth Certificate from Skatteverket (Swedish Tax office), he will need the extended version with information on his parents in english and also have it stamped and certified. This will be done by Skatteverket too. So you might as well start gathering those pappers too.

I could not upload a Word copy of the cover letter with info on what we sent But hopefully a p df works as well: You can modify it for your case. Hope it helps!

Regards

I-130 Cover Letter_Ex.pdf

USCIS Petition

Form I-130: Petition for Alien Relative

1 May 2015: Mailed I-130 to Chicago

12 May 2015: Received NOA1 by email, file routed to CSC

12 June 2015: Received NOA2 by email!!!

NVC Stage

2 July 2015: NVC received file

21 July 2015: NVC case number assigned and AOS invoice received

24 July 2015: DS-261 Choice of Agent available and applied on webpage

26 July 2015: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on 28 July 2015)

6 August 2015: DS-261 Choice of Agent Completed and Approved on phone with NVC, IV bill invoiced

13 August 2015: Paid IV bill Again (payment portal showed PAID on 17 August 2015, (payment portal showed REJECTED on 11 August 2015

15 August 2015: Sent IV documents and AOS package together

17 August 2015: DS-260 Application for Immigrant Visa Available and completed

18 August 2015: Scan Date IV documents and AOS package

21 August 2015: Received Confirmation email of Scan Date

4 September 2015 : Case Completed at NVC (“3 N/A” on CEAC on 7 September, Confirmed with NVC 8 September )

15 September 2015 : Receive Instruction or Interview appointment letter

Embassy Stage

23 July 2015: Medical completed

14 October : Date Received By Consulate

19 October: CEAC Update/ Letter from Embassy Received pkt 4

26 October 2015 : Interview Day- Passed but need to send a NEW version of the Form I-864

30 October 2015: New Form I-864 Received by Embassy

3 November 2015 : CEAC Visa status - Issued :dancing:

4 november 2015: Visa in hand

5 November 2015: Payed Visa fee on ELIS

6 November 2015: POE YAY!!!

25 November 2015: Applied for replacement of SSN card at the local office

Timeline

In the first stage the filling of the I-130 you it its mostly about the American citizen. We sent both a copy of my husband's (the American) birth certificate and a copy of the first page of his US passport just in case. Is as another member answered the filling of the I-130 is more about establishing that you are american and eligible to apply for document for a family/husband to enter US. But you will need to send a copy of your marriage certificate were it says that you two are married.

Now depending on where you guys got married, if in Sweden then the marriage certificate is from Skatteverket and you can get in in English.

Later when you get to the NVC (National Visa Center) stage it will be more about your Swedish husband and then you will need a copy of his passport, that has to be stamped as original by the authority that issued the passport in Sweden it is the Police (Polisen). He will have to go there with its passport and ask for copies with stamps in english and they will help him. He will also need his Birth Certificate from Skatteverket (Swedish Tax office), he will need the extended version with information on his parents in english and also have it stamped and certified. This will be done by Skatteverket too. So you might as well start gathering those pappers too.

I could not upload a Word copy of the cover letter with info on what we sent But hopefully a p df works as well: You can modify it for your case. Hope it helps!

Regards

Thank you so much! That really helps especially since it looks like you've done it from Sweden specifically. Are you the Swede? We got married in the U.S. so we will have our marriage certificate from there but I changed my last name through Sweden first and I believe it says I need to send proof o a last name change so i think that's the only thing I'd need to add to that I-130 packet that you did not have. Thank you so much again, that cover letter is really helpful!

Timeline

Thank you so much! That really helps especially since it looks like you've done it from Sweden specifically. Are you the Swede? We got married in the U.S. so we will have our marriage certificate from there but I changed my last name through Sweden first and I believe it says I need to send proof o a last name change so i think that's the only thing I'd need to add to that I-130 packet that you did not have. Thank you so much again, that cover letter is really helpful!

:yes: Yes I'm the Swede and we have been doing the process from Sweden. I also changed my name but the change of name was mentioned on the certificate from Skatteverket (the extended version) which is the same as the marriage certificate. So I didn't have any additional pappers for that. But it sound to me like you should be able to get one of those from Skatteverket, specially if you have a "personnummer" and if you been registered here at some point in time.

Otherwise I don't know. Happy that I could help!

USCIS Petition

Form I-130: Petition for Alien Relative

1 May 2015: Mailed I-130 to Chicago

12 May 2015: Received NOA1 by email, file routed to CSC

12 June 2015: Received NOA2 by email!!!

NVC Stage

2 July 2015: NVC received file

21 July 2015: NVC case number assigned and AOS invoice received

24 July 2015: DS-261 Choice of Agent available and applied on webpage

26 July 2015: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on 28 July 2015)

6 August 2015: DS-261 Choice of Agent Completed and Approved on phone with NVC, IV bill invoiced

13 August 2015: Paid IV bill Again (payment portal showed PAID on 17 August 2015, (payment portal showed REJECTED on 11 August 2015

15 August 2015: Sent IV documents and AOS package together

17 August 2015: DS-260 Application for Immigrant Visa Available and completed

18 August 2015: Scan Date IV documents and AOS package

21 August 2015: Received Confirmation email of Scan Date

4 September 2015 : Case Completed at NVC (“3 N/A” on CEAC on 7 September, Confirmed with NVC 8 September )

15 September 2015 : Receive Instruction or Interview appointment letter

Embassy Stage

23 July 2015: Medical completed

14 October : Date Received By Consulate

19 October: CEAC Update/ Letter from Embassy Received pkt 4

26 October 2015 : Interview Day- Passed but need to send a NEW version of the Form I-864

30 October 2015: New Form I-864 Received by Embassy

3 November 2015 : CEAC Visa status - Issued :dancing:

4 november 2015: Visa in hand

5 November 2015: Payed Visa fee on ELIS

6 November 2015: POE YAY!!!

25 November 2015: Applied for replacement of SSN card at the local office

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

~New thread started for attempted thread hijack~

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/575045-london-dcf-split-thread/

Pitaya

VJ Moderation

Edited by Pitaya

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.