The Nature  Boy

High School Kid Body-Slams School Security Guard, Then Grounds-and-Pounds Him (Kids are Out of Control These Days)

64 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

I think your perspective does matter. But I also think it's colored(pun intended) differently due to your upbringing. You saw racism in its more brutal form. This is why (I think ) you don't think what's happening today is racism. It is, albeit a more passive form of it. It goes into what Val said, most folks want a blanketed form of racism. Something that can be easily identified and no wiggle room exists. Everything else is just some unfortunate incident.

Here's the issue. Slavery does affect us. I'll tell you why.

What people tend to overlook is this. After slavery ended, what happened? Black people weren't received with open arms, nor were they given 50 acres and a mule. Slavery wasn't a physical construct, nor was it a 9 to 5 job that folks worked and then went partying with white people. It was a belief system that black people were inferior in every way to white people. After this was abolished, then came segregation. That lasted for another 100 years. So in reality, things didn't really start being equal until the 70's, when you starting seeing black people being normal and failing like everyone else. Because before then, you had to be better than everyone in order to be considered.

You see it on this forum, on other websites and even IRL. There is an overwhelming amount of people who think we're inferior just based on our skin color alone. I think that after centuries of stripping a race of it's identity and culture, you're bound to see the results aren't going to be favorable. By the grace of God there are some folks who fought past this to become something better(President Obama, Colin Powell, etc).

So while I'm not blaming slavery for whatever shortcomings I have in life, I will say that the effects of all of that aren't just going to go away in a few decades.

Is? Or used to be? (Perhaps getting better?) As I said in another post, I cannot honestly answer that for any black person, since I have never been guilty of LWB. DO I think it is an issue? Yes, it is. Where I live? Not so much. I pass a fair amount of blacks on a daily basis, and wave and smile to them as I do to everyone else around me, and they return the favor. Doesn't mean they AREN'T suffering, but based on their demeanors, they don't seem to harbor any ill will towards "whitey".

And perhaps my perception of issues of race come down to my own personal treatment of other people in general... I treat them with respect, until they show me they deserve none. I don't think I am a rare specimen in that respect, but certainly this world could use more of that kind of attitude, among all cultures.

Now, roll up on me with your pants hanging down around your lower gluteus maximus, talking a bunch of slang mumbo jumbo, and calling each other the N word, and my perception of that person will start out at a much lower level than I tend to offer the casual acquaintance. But that is true, regardless of the color of their skin.

And while we are at it, I take personal offense to your use of the term POC. I actually had to look it up. I am pretty sure you could classify all humans as a POC. My skin has a color. It may not be as dark as yours, but it IS skin, and I AM human, just as you are. Perhaps DHI would be a better term? Darker Hued Individual, can you live with that, or is that offensive to some in a way that I am not aware? (Look at us, making up all sorts of PC acronyms in CEHST!!)

Now, roll up on me with your pants hanging down around your lower gluteus maximus, talking a bunch of slang mumbo jumbo, and calling each other the N word, and my perception of that person will start out at a much lower level than I tend to offer the casual acquaintance. But that is true, regardless of the color of their skin.

*now see, this is exactly how i feel when someone rolls up to me sporting race car attire, confederate tattoo, spitting chew all out both corners, hand on his holster and hollerin 'cuntry boi can suuuuurrrriiiiiiiivvvve" my perception of them plummets quickly.

by golly either we are all the same on the inside or have very similar opinions of what constitutes class vs trash!

*sarcasm disclaimer. these perceptions have nothing to do with race.

and of course, we've all seen white people in the same situations (bold). i agree that we can't be held responsible for the history that set us on this course but it is our moral and civic obligation to take history into account when considering social injustice.

And that is my point exactly. I, as a white person, gets lumped into a group of folks who do not (understand/care/empathize/choose your favorite word) with the issues of blacks or hispanics or other cultures who live among us. Which is JUST as wrong as saying that all blacks are (thugs/inferior/less intelligent/choose your favorite word).

At the end of the day, I think the Brits are to blame for slavery in America. It's not like the folks in the South went out and picked up the slaves; they were brought here and sold/traded as any other commodity. I say let's ban the UK!!

And that is my point exactly. I, as a white person, gets lumped into a group of folks who do not (understand/care/empathize/choose your favorite word) with the issues of blacks or hispanics or other cultures who live among us. Which is JUST as wrong as saying that all blacks are (thugs/inferior/less intelligent/choose your favorite word).

At the end of the day, I think the Brits are to blame for slavery in America. It's not like the folks in the South went out and picked up the slaves; they were brought here and sold/traded as any other commodity. I say let's ban the UK!!

i don't agree that it's just as wrong. the fact that someone might make a generalization about your perception based on your race is inconsequential to your daily life. you might feel angry, misunderstood, but overall - your feelings have been hurt and that's it. if white person says all blacks are thugs, inferior, less intelligent, they are automatically assuming a position of authority,of superiority over that particular person, or black people as a whole. big big difference.

*now see, this is exactly how i feel when someone rolls up to me sporting race car attire, confederate tattoo, spitting chew all out both corners, hand on his holster and hollerin 'cuntry boi can suuuuurrrriiiiiiiivvvve" my perception of them plummets quickly.

by golly either we are all the same on the inside or have very similar opinions of what constitutes class vs trash!

*sarcasm disclaimer. these perceptions have nothing to do with race.

Just out of morbid curiosity, how many gun toting tabbaco chewing confederate flag tattooed country music singing people in a Nascar thirty have you encountered in the past year

The UK thing. I am all in

The UK thing. I am all in

Just out of morbid curiosity, how many gun toting tabbaco chewing confederate flag tattooed country music singing people in a Nascar thirty have you encountered in the past year

on a daily basis or shall i give you a weekly average?

Is? Or used to be? (Perhaps getting better?) As I said in another post, I cannot honestly answer that for any black person, since I have never been guilty of LWB. DO I think it is an issue? Yes, it is. Where I live? Not so much. I pass a fair amount of blacks on a daily basis, and wave and smile to them as I do to everyone else around me, and they return the favor. Doesn't mean they AREN'T suffering, but based on their demeanors, they don't seem to harbor any ill will towards "whitey".

And perhaps my perception of issues of race come down to my own personal treatment of other people in general... I treat them with respect, until they show me they deserve none. I don't think I am a rare specimen in that respect, but certainly this world could use more of that kind of attitude, among all cultures.

And while we are at it, I take personal offense to your use of the term POC. I actually had to look it up. I am pretty sure you could classify all humans as a POC. My skin has a color. It may not be as dark as yours, but it IS skin, and I AM human, just as you are. Perhaps DHI would be a better term? Darker Hued Individual, can you live with that, or is that offensive to some in a way that I am not aware? (Look at us, making up all sorts of PC acronyms in CEHST!!)

It's not as bad as it used to be, but it's still there. And we have a ways to go in that respect.

I tend to treat all people with respect, even those with the sagging pants. Why? Because they're still human beings. And in some cases they just don't know better. I refuse to sag since I'm grown. Plus, spell saggin backwards.

POC has been used to describe black people for a while now. Being called colored is nothing new. Personally, I'd rather be called American. Or if they must, Black American.

As Queen said... Another One Bites the Dust!! :goofy:

Edited by Stay Woke

“Hate is too great a burden to bear. It injures the hater more than it injures the hated.” – Coretta Scott King

"Oppressive language does more than represent violence; it is violence; does more than represent the limits of knowledge; it limits knowledge." -Toni Morrison

He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetrate it.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

President-Obama-jpg.jpg

i'll take a guy in baggy jeans over skinny jeans or leggings or whatever anyday. it's fashion, nothing more or less.

i remember when i was in highschool and there was this fad where guys would pull up one of their pant legs and walk around all uneven. when the story circulated that in prison this was code for 'i just killed someone' or something like that..all the teachers starting making the guys pull their pant legs down. it was absurd and a distraction. perfectly describes fashion..

It's not as bad as it used to be, but it's still there. And we have a ways to go in that respect.

I tend to treat all people with respect, even those with the sagging pants. Why? Because they're still human beings. And in some cases they just don't know better. I refuse to sag since I'm grown. Plus, spell saggin backwards.

POC has been used to describe black people for a while now. Being called colored is nothing new. Personally, I'd rather be called American. Or if they must, Black American.

Well then, I reckon I AM black, for I refuse not to be acknowledged as a POC. And fo' sho', I loves me some watermelon and fried chicken!! (but never chicken fried steak, ewww). :dance:

i'll take a guy in baggy jeans over skinny jeans or leggings or whatever anyday. it's fashion, nothing more or less.

i remember when i was in highschool and there was this fad where guys would pull up one of their pant legs and walk around all uneven. when the story circulated that in prison this was code for 'i just killed someone' or something like that..all the teachers starting making the guys pull their pant legs down. it was absurd and a distraction. perfectly describes fashion..

No one said baggy jeans. We be talkin' about saggin'.

And wait til you learn what saggin' means in prison! :oops::cry::cry::cry:

I did not know you lived round here

rural pits of poor folk are pretty much all the same..

baggy pants naturally sag. it's the super tight legging pants that have to forced down.

Well then, I reckon I AM black, for I refuse not to be acknowledged as a POC. And fo' sho', I loves me some watermelon and fried chicken!! (but never chicken fried steak, ewww). :dance:

Blasphemy!

I know full well from doing research about the trend. Another reason while I'll never do it.

“Hate is too great a burden to bear. It injures the hater more than it injures the hated.” – Coretta Scott King

"Oppressive language does more than represent violence; it is violence; does more than represent the limits of knowledge; it limits knowledge." -Toni Morrison

He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetrate it.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

President-Obama-jpg.jpg

Blasphemy!

I know full well from doing research about the trend. Another reason while I'll never do it.

Actually that prison sagging pants thing is not true.

You know so little about black culture to actually be black.