Necrotica

Getting a Québec birth certificate...

12 posts in this topic

So my dear fiancé FINALLY, yesterday, after 3 months of asking him, went to get his birth certificate and chose the standard processing. Needless to say, I'm seriously ticked-off since we've had enough delays the way it is, plus he's going to need to get it translated and notarized, plus I can't make any sort of pleas to the Consulate to give us a quicker interview date until he has it... anyway... they said he'd get the birth certificate in 3 weeks. In your experience, is this true? Or does it take sooner or longer than that in actuality?

08/25/06 - 08/08/07 - K1 timeframe from mailing the petition to the NSC to K1 approval at the Montréal Consulate

08/31/07 - Réjean makes the big move to the USA

09/22/07 - MARRIED!

10/09/07 - Réjean gets his SSN

Adjustment of status:

10/26/07 - Mailed AOS/EAD/AP

11/23/07 - Biometrics appointment

12/14/07 - I-485 transferred to the California Service Center

12/28/07 - EAD approved!

01/07/08 - EAD received

02/08/08 - GREEN CARD APPROVED!!!!!!

02/16/08 - Green card received!

*headdesk*:

01/02/09 - Réjean loses his wallet containing his drivers license, Social Security card, and green card

02/04/09 - Our best friends bail us out by giving us the money to file for the replacement green card!

02/12/09 - E-filed I-90 for the replacement green card along with the $370 filing fee (including biometrics)

02/19/09 - NOA1

02/25/09 - Biometrics appointment

05/01/09 - Replacement green card received

Removal of conditions:

01/07/10: Mailed I-751 packet by overnight mail to the CSC

01/11/10: I-751 packet delivered and signed for

01/19/10: Received NOA1

01/28/10: Biometrics (did walk-in due to Réjean being out on the road on original date of 02/10/10)

02/03/10: APPROVED!!!

02/05/10: Received e-mail from USCIS saying the card production has been ordered

02/06/10: Received letter typed on plain paper from USCIS congratulating Réjean on his removal of conditions approval

02/11/10: Green card received

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I sent away for more copies a few months ago. It took about 3-4 weeks to get it. He can get it in English. If he hasn't sent it off yet- check off that you want an English version. That will save having to get it translated.

It may be busy there right now. Many people who are applying for Passports are realizing that the old Quebec Birth Certificates are no longer accepted. They were laminated.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Might be worth it to get his a$$ back there to accelerate it????

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

I sent away for more copies a few months ago. It took about 3-4 weeks to get it. He can get it in English. If he hasn't sent it off yet- check off that you want an English version. That will save having to get it translated.

It may be busy there right now. Many people who are applying for Passports are realizing that the old Quebec Birth Certificates are no longer accepted. They were laminated.

Based on my personnal experience, i asked for an english BC and when the first one have been filed in french, Its IMPOSSIBLE to have it delivered in english. I did it and still received copies in french and had to send them a letter and make multiple phone calls to return the french ones, cause I already had it. Its a law. Anyone that filed in french at birth is gonna receive it in french, same for english.

I sent my forms and received mine 2 weeks after ( the wrong french ones). So it was fairly fast. Had it translated and notarized for 17$.

Edited by Mephys

3dflagsdotcom_usa_2faws.gif+3dflags-canqc1-1.gif3Dflags

Removal of Conditions: GC received on 09/17/2009

Application to replace permanent resident cards filed 3/30/2019 (I-90)

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I didn't know that. I checked the English box- we were an English speaking family when we were there so everything we had would have been submitted in English.

At the same time I sent away for more copies of mine, I also sent away for my mom and sisters so they can get a Passport. I had no problem getting mine- I scanned my Passport and Drivers licence for the 2 pieces of ID they needed.

For my mom and sister- I scanned their Drivers Licences and the old Birth Certificates. They had the applications sent back (RFE) because Quebec wouldn't accept their own Birth Certificate as identification!

Yeah your birth was registered in english if you received it in english, same would apply for you if you would try to get a french certificate they would refuse :yes:

You can imagine after waiting 3 weeks and paying the fees, i had a note with the english form saying I needed the BC in english for US immigration papers, and when I received it I called them ans I asked:"How come the person that received my application never called me to tell me it was impossible instead of sending me something I didnt ask for? " After few phone calls and e-mails, cause I was told they would not refund at first, then one lady told me to send back the BC with a letter asking for a refund and an explanation. They finally refund me after 1 month. But im like, dont be stupid, there is a phone number, what is it to take 30 sec to call the person and tell her its impossible and ask if she wants to pursue or drop the application.....right :wacko:

Its just I thought since its a bilingual province that I would have no problems, but apparently its in the civil code.......weird.

3dflagsdotcom_usa_2faws.gif+3dflags-canqc1-1.gif3Dflags

Removal of Conditions: GC received on 09/17/2009

Application to replace permanent resident cards filed 3/30/2019 (I-90)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
I didn't know that. I checked the English box- we were an English speaking family when we were there so everything we had would have been submitted in English.

At the same time I sent away for more copies of mine, I also sent away for my mom and sisters so they can get a Passport. I had no problem getting mine- I scanned my Passport and Drivers licence for the 2 pieces of ID they needed.

For my mom and sister- I scanned their Drivers Licences and the old Birth Certificates. They had the applications sent back (RFE) because Quebec wouldn't accept their own Birth Certificate as identification!

I had to get the new birth certificate as well because the original birth certificate they gave me was the laminated card and they decided that it was no longer considered a valid Quebec Birth Certificate. So, since it has my parents names on it, I still carry it in my wallet here as the US doesn't know if it is a valid or invalid birth certificate - heck, most Canadians and even Quebeckers don't know unless they have had to use it for official business!

We were also an English speaking family so I was able to get my birth certificate(s) in English, but I understand that if the original act of birth was registered in French then you are only able to get the birth certificate in French and will need to get it translated. Ah, Bureaucracy!

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

As far as I know, Quebec is a French only province and New-Brunswick is the only Bilingual province in Canada.

Yep, I was able to get an English BC with no problems even though my original is French.

Yeah your birth was registered in english if you received it in english, same would apply for you if you would try to get a french certificate they would refuse :yes:

You can imagine after waiting 3 weeks and paying the fees, i had a note with the english form saying I needed the BC in english for US immigration papers, and when I received it I called them ans I asked:"How come the person that received my application never called me to tell me it was impossible instead of sending me something I didnt ask for? " After few phone calls and e-mails, cause I was told they would not refund at first, then one lady told me to send back the BC with a letter asking for a refund and an explanation. They finally refund me after 1 month. But im like, dont be stupid, there is a phone number, what is it to take 30 sec to call the person and tell her its impossible and ask if she wants to pursue or drop the application.....right :wacko:

Its just I thought since its a bilingual province that I would have no problems, but apparently its in the civil code.......weird.

[15-03-2006] NOA1

[27-03-2006] Touched? (The last modification was on that date. shrugs)

[30-06-2006] Received and sent the IMBRA RFE.

[11-07-2006] Touched --> USCIS received the IMBRA RFE.

[11-09-2006] NOA2!!

[22-11-2006] Montreal received DS-230 on/before November 22

[12-04-2007] Interview!!!

[13-04-2007] K-1 Visa issued after 13 months of waiting.

[19-05-2007] Wedding

[24-07-2007] Paperwork for AoS sent

[11-15-2007] Green Card received

1 year+ for a K-1 Visa. Who would've thought...

• 2 weeks later...

He just informed me that he got it today. So, 2 weeks exactly. That's even better than what they quoted him, thank gods. Now he just needs to get it translated and notarized. Who knows how long that will take him to get done.

*sighs*

Good news is what I needed... I've been feeling like total sh*t over this process, and I was (and still am, in a way) at my bursting point today.

08/25/06 - 08/08/07 - K1 timeframe from mailing the petition to the NSC to K1 approval at the Montréal Consulate

08/31/07 - Réjean makes the big move to the USA

09/22/07 - MARRIED!

10/09/07 - Réjean gets his SSN

Adjustment of status:

10/26/07 - Mailed AOS/EAD/AP

11/23/07 - Biometrics appointment

12/14/07 - I-485 transferred to the California Service Center

12/28/07 - EAD approved!

01/07/08 - EAD received

02/08/08 - GREEN CARD APPROVED!!!!!!

02/16/08 - Green card received!

*headdesk*:

01/02/09 - Réjean loses his wallet containing his drivers license, Social Security card, and green card

02/04/09 - Our best friends bail us out by giving us the money to file for the replacement green card!

02/12/09 - E-filed I-90 for the replacement green card along with the $370 filing fee (including biometrics)

02/19/09 - NOA1

02/25/09 - Biometrics appointment

05/01/09 - Replacement green card received

Removal of conditions:

01/07/10: Mailed I-751 packet by overnight mail to the CSC

01/11/10: I-751 packet delivered and signed for

01/19/10: Received NOA1

01/28/10: Biometrics (did walk-in due to Réjean being out on the road on original date of 02/10/10)

02/03/10: APPROVED!!!

02/05/10: Received e-mail from USCIS saying the card production has been ordered

02/06/10: Received letter typed on plain paper from USCIS congratulating Réjean on his removal of conditions approval

02/11/10: Green card received

I had my birth certificate translated into english this week. I didn't get it notarized though. If I wanted to do so, how would I go about it ? City Hall or something ?

Married! 03/19/2007

I-130 Process

10/30/2007 : APPROVED!!!! (in 190 days)

I-129f Process

10/30/2007 : APPROVED!!!! (in 151 days)

02/08/2008 : Interview (Approved!)

02/18/2008 : Visa in Hand :D

02/26/2008 : Moved to Colorado

I-751 Lifting of Conditions

06/01/2010 : Completed packet for I-751

06/04/2010 : Mailed packet via UPS

06/07/2010 : Receipt for I-751

08/18/2010 : Biometrics appointment

08/20/2010 : Approved

02/09/2011 : Contacted congressman due to non-receipt of card

03/28/2011 : Card received!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.